Dark Souls Port Brings Console Problems to PC

Dec 14, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
The Plunk said:
BiH-Kira said:
Wow... that's are really clear way to say "Don't buy our game."

Well, thanks for telling me that because I was thinking of pre-ordering it over Steam.

Siegreich said:
No after this they're probably just not going to make any ports no matter how hard you petition, good job pc gamers, having the same game just isn't enough for you.
Yeah, you're completely right.
Who gives me the right not to buy a game that is broken from the start. I'm really entitled for thinking that the product I bought should work.
It's not broken. It is playable on consoles, so it will be playable on PC.

It's people like you that give credit to the stereotype of entitled, whining, elitist PC gamers.
The problem is that it IS broken.

If I bought Ferrari, I would expect from it to go faster than 40km/h.
Same as buying a game. I would expect from it to work as fast as it can on my PC. I didn't invest in my PC so that I can play shity ports.

They made millions of the game and they couldn't hire someone to do the port? And how am I whiny? Or entitled?
I didn't rage, I didn't swear, I didn't insult anyone.

The problem isn't in me, but in people like you. People who gladly give up their consumer rights and attack anyone who doesn't want to give 50 euro for a pile of shit.
Yes, it's a pile of shit. A game that will run in 1024x720 on 30 FPS...

I never asked for extra content, that by the way isn't free. The only thing I want from a port is to use my PC right. I want to be able to change my controls, to change my resolution and the most important part is, I don't want to play a Power Point slideshow.

If not buying something that I don't think is worth my money makes me entitled or whiny, well fuck. I'm entitled and whiny. If wanting a game to run smooth on my PC makes me a elitist, well, I'm an elitist.

But you, my friend, are a brainwashed consumer. I could say "thank you" for a bad gift (even tho I don't understand how someone could say it's a gift), but I sure as hell won't pay 50 euro for it.
Wrong analogy is wrong.

It's more like this.

Console gamers got exclusive access to a Ford GT.

PC gamers went 'Hey, that's a pretty good car, we want it too!'

So you got the car.

'What? This isn't a Ferrari! This is a Ford GT!'

'You asked for a Ford GT'

'Well duh! But I wanted a better one!'

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
The Plunk said:
BiH-Kira said:
The problem is that it IS broken.

If I bought Ferrari, I would expect from it to go faster than 40km/h.
Same as buying a game. I would expect from it to work as fast as it can on my PC. I didn't invest in my PC so that I can play shity ports.

They made millions of the game and they couldn't hire someone to do the port? And how am I whiny? Or entitled?
I didn't rage, I didn't swear, I didn't insult anyone.

The problem isn't in me, but in people like you. People who gladly give up their consumer rights and attack anyone who doesn't want to give 50 euro for a pile of shit.
Yes, it's a pile of shit. A game that will run in 1024x720 on 30 FPS...

I never asked for extra content, that by the way isn't free. The only thing I want from a port is to use my PC right. I want to be able to change my controls, to change my resolution and the most important part is, I don't want to play a Power Point slideshow.

If not buying something that I don't think is worth my money makes me entitled or whiny, well fuck. I'm entitled and whiny. If wanting a game to run smooth on my PC makes me a elitist, well, I'm an elitist.

But you, my friend, are a brainwashed consumer. I could say "thank you" for a bad gift (even tho I don't understand how someone could say it's a gift), but I sure as hell won't pay 50 euro for it.
The difference is that a Ferrari costs much, much more than your average car, while this game does not cost any more than your average game.
But the average game runs on 1920x1080 60+ FPS on my PC, while this won't.
So every car in the analogy is a Ferrari. It's just that that one doesn't work as it should.

Daystar Clarion said:
Wrong analogy is wrong.

It's more like this.

Console gamers got exclusive access to a Ford GT.

PC gamers went 'Hey, that's a pretty good car, we want it too!'

So you got the car.

'What? This isn't a Ferrari! This is a Ford GT!'

'You asked for a Ford GT'

'Well duh! But I wanted a better one!'
Nope.

PC gamer went 'Hey, that's a pretty good car. We want one too, but just fix all the stuff that was broken on the first version.'

And we got a car that had nothing fixed on it.

When we ask for a port, we ask for a optimized port with know bugs fixed.

Guy on page one explained it:

Carnagath said:
A classic case of "miscommunication", isn't it... When people asked for this game on the PC, they actually meant that they wanted a proper PC port, not a half-assed copy paste cash grab.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
Carnagath said:
thethird0611 said:
entitlement
...and that instantly ends the conversation right here.
Actually, it does, because you do have a FASLE SENSE of entitlement. Just because of bunch of idiots threw it around, doesnt make it any less valid.

...that instantly destroys your whole argument right there.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Buretsu said:
BiH-Kira said:
But the average game runs on 1920x1080 60+ FPS on my PC, while this won't.
So every car in the analogy is a Ferrari. It's just that that one doesn't work as it should.
The average PC game, maybe. But you're not getting a PC game, you're getting a port of a Console game.

Dude, this is just pathetic now. Did you seriously wrote that or did you try to make a bad joke? Practically every game is a console port now.
Crysis 2 - console port
CoD - console port
Assassin's Creed - console port
Skyrim - console port (!!!)
Oblivion - console port (!!!)
The list could go on.
They were designed for consoles and later on ported to the PC.

All those games had at least changeable resolution and didn't have a FPS limit. Crysis had even a special patch for the PC version.
You know why? They had people who actually know how to port do the porting.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
danon said:
Wow the amount of anti-consumerism never ceases to amaze me here on the escapist. The locking to 30 fps and that the bugs and framedrops aren't fixed is applauded here just wow.
You're confused. There is nothing more anti-consumer than not letting people decided what is and is not OK with them. I'm not defending people who are attacking other people for not being interested, to avoid confusion. If you ever played the console version, you know these are actually massive improvements over it. Also, it said the frame rate drops were much better, so I'm guessing that you never played it.

From Eurogamer:
The implication of a PC release is obviously that all these problems can be tackled by the brute force of a faster CPU, and though there are very light hitches here and there, it's a relief to say Blight Town now plays without all the constant chugging. The improvement is staggering to those that endured the treacle-like pace of the area on PS3 and 360, already making this version a winning proposition.
Also:
Due to the smoother, if limited, frame-rate, the PC version is also looking to be the definitive way to play the game, especially for those planning to jump in for the first time on August 24th.
It honestly sounds to me that the PC version is far superior to the game that I played for 130 hours on my PS3.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
i'm not seeing a huge problem here. i just want the game to work, on the platform i primarily play. if they can do that, i'm happy

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
This game just got marked with SHITTY PORT seal and it will lose more sells than it should. These is no excuse for these flaws even when developers said that they dont have much experience with porting, little extra time would spent on it would be enought. Probably I will buy this game eventually but at the moment my wallet is empty because of summer sale.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
Screw it, I'm still getting the game once I get some cash together. Thank the gaming gods I'm not a graphics whore. Not that there's anything too wrong with that.

danon

Jul 20, 2009
Yeah played past ornstein and smough on xbox 360 so yeah. The thing is at that price for a game that has been out for a while it is kind of unacceptable.

The main reason i am still going to buy it now is to encourage more ports to pc. If this type of cash-grab happens again it will be a no-buy from me. And yes i expect my pc to outperform my xbox-360 because it's much more powerful. It seems i'm pretty alone in this sentiment strangely enough

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
getoffmycloud said:
I think it uses steam now they changed it after the outcry.
Nope

Read the bottom of "System requirements".

Additional: Online play requires software installation of and log-in to Games For Windows - LIVE

Garrett

Jul 12, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
Oh my God. Can PC gamers even ENJOY the game now?
This, so much this. Seriously guys, just enjoy the game. Personally, I don't care about PC version because I'll be getting it on console, right after I finally beat Demon's Souls (I got bored looking for resources to build my White Long(or was it Sticky? I don't remember) Bow +5 and refusing to continue with the storyline until I get it).

Scars Unseen said:
Now that Way of the Samurai 4 has a definite(and imminent) release date, that's pretty much where my next game purchase is going.
WotS4 is finally being released outside Japan?! Awesome! Thanks, you made my day with that info.

Jun 11, 2008
About 5 people complain about problems most everyone says they will get the game anyway. Escapist bitches at PC gamers and others say they are ashamed why am I not surprised by this?

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Well, that's what they said they would do, and I would get it, if not for GFWL. I HAAATE GFWL. Although I will probably get it anyway. I love Dark Souls too much.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
BiH-Kira said:
A game that will run in 1024x720 on 30 FPS...
If you don't want to buy the game, I completely understand. But it will run at 1920X1080, the texture quality is, however, 1024x720. The difference between what you are saying and reality is rather huge. I just like to stifle the spread of misinformation.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Baresark said:
BiH-Kira said:
If you don't want to buy the game, I completely understand. But it will run at 1920X1080, the texture quality is, however, 1024x720. The difference between what you are saying and reality is rather huge. I just like to stifle the spread of misinformation.
The article states "On close inspection, it appears that Dark Souls PC uses the very same 1024x720 internal framebuffer as the console versions, regardless of which resolution has been set in the menus."

This means the game is rendering each frame into a 1024x720 array of pixel colours. If you run it at 1920x1080 it will be an interpolated (read: upscaled) version of this buffer. So you're playing on a 720p image blown up to 1080p.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Baresark said:
BiH-Kira said:
You will be able to change the resolution, but it will be just an upscale of the native 1024x720. Changing the resolution won't affect the clarity of the game or anything. It will look completely the same.

The only thing that the ability to change the resolution will do is add support for different kinds of monitors (different aspect rations).

I obviously didn't make it clear in my post and thank you for point it out.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Garrett said:
Scars Unseen said:
Now that Way of the Samurai 4 has a definite(and imminent) release date, that's pretty much where my next game purchase is going.
WotS4 is finally being released outside Japan?! Awesome! Thanks, you made my day with that info.
This month for North America and October for Europe. It's going to be a digital release over PSN. It seems that there are either legal or licensing reasons why they can't do a physical retail release, and apparently they also can't tell us what those reasons are. It was digital or nothing, and they chose digital.