Dark Souls. Why should I keep playing?

Serving UpSmiles

Aug 4, 2010
You can kill the Taurus demon in four hits mate, just go on the tower and do a jump attack ontop of him, climb up the ladder and repeat.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Yeah I hated the minotaur (looks like a human with a bull's head that swings a giant axe. Call a spade a spade people).

He was not difficult, just really fucking stupid. He knocked me into the gap near his spawn point. He decided to jump and ended up killing himself too. I was so dumb founded by this that I could not even move for 30 minutes. I just kept the game going until my brother came over and said, "It's a lot more fun to play the instead of looking at it."

I told him what happened and he was struck dumb as well.

The thing is I wanted to kill the fucker. It being programmed not to stop when he killed me robbed me of that goal.

The bosses after him up to are a lot easier to deal with. Up to Ornstein and Smough. After that, they get sadistic again.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
K1CKER said:
Well I just beat that stupid Taurus so I`ll go on a bit more see what`s next.

I still think the game`s "difficulty" is more cheapness than actual difficulty, but I`ll give it some more time.

Maybe the PC version will have QuickSave :D
I wouldn't count on it, the games design is very tightly bound into the save system, quick save would destroy it. As you said yourself death should have a consequence and quick save would undermine that entirely. The sparse save points are part of this as well, each time you face the boss the stakes are bigger because you can't just start right back again where you were.

Now I don't necessarily believe this is the best or only way for the game to work or individually if that save point should be closer or not, but that sparseness is one of the reasons Dark Souls is loved. For me it is the opposite of "cheap" difficulty, u=you need to develop the skills to progress consistently, rather than plug away until you fluke your way through.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
K1CKER said:
Tallim said:
I think the Taurus Demon has one of the worst placed bonfires in the game.
It`s good to know that was one of the worst ones, I really couldn`t take all of them being like that. Thanks! I might play more just for learning that others are better placed.
The Taurus Demon bonfire placement is fucking nothing compared to the rest of the game. Just wait till you get to Blighttown, Sen's Fortress, Anor Lando, and The Tomb of the Giants. Now those checkpoints will really stretch your sanity thin.

If you're gonna keep playing here's a tip; Put all your exp. in Endurance, Strength, and Dexterity. It will allow you to handle the toughest weapons and armor without getting sluggish. During my first playthrough I was a sorcerer and I put the majority of my exp. in Intelligence to boost my magic, but I had the vitality of a breadstick. Come the final Boss fight I was absolutely powerless and got cut down in less than 5 seconds everytime.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
The game doesn't care if you go any further, its Dark Souls. But yes you have no comprehension of the incredible adventures the game has in store for you. On the other hand the game never gets less frustrating. There are three reasons why DS is frustrating:

1. WHY ISN'T THERE A CHECKPOINT HERE GRAAAH!I already proven I know how to do this bit game!

2. Trail and error nonsense, there are no less than three areas where you just blindly walk or run into stuff you cant see over and over until you find the way that doesn't kill you.

3. Enemy attacks sometimes clip through each other which isn't fair.

Other than that this game is "sick dope".

ablac

Aug 4, 2009
I was stuck there for a while until I simply got used to avoiding enemies rather than fighting all of them, plus he is one of the hardest bosses since you dont have many abilities or experience and your not used to doing the jammy tactics that win in that game. Seriously if you are grinding past enemies your doing it wrong, most can be avoided with ease and there are better places to grind later. It is a very tough game and it can be blatantly unfair at times however it isnt as bad as it seems and it can get a lot of fun.
Edit: sorry didnt mean to quote you if you see this.

MrShowerHead

Jun 28, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
K1CKER said:
Tallim said:
I think the Taurus Demon has one of the worst placed bonfires in the game.
It`s good to know that was one of the worst ones, I really couldn`t take all of them being like that. Thanks! I might play more just for learning that others are better placed.
The Taurus Demon bonfire placement is fucking nothing compared to the rest of the game. Just wait till you get to Blighttown, Sen's Fortress, Anor Lando, and The Tomb of the Giants. Now those checkpoints will really stretch your sanity thin.
I thought the Tomb had enough bonfires... Sure, they were hidden and you really had to search for some of them, but there were more than one. Unlike in Sen's Fortress. Seriously, does that place only have that one, pretty nicely hidden fire? I remember first time going against the Iron Golem, dying because the area was so small and had to do the entire fortress again, since I didn't find the fire first.

Also, just asking, is there a shortcut in New Londo Ruins to the Four Kings battle? Killed them on my first try *cough* not bragging *cough* but now playing on NG+ and I would hate to walk all the way from Firelink to get there...

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Just yesterday, I was hanging out with some friends at my University, and one of them brought his PS3 with Dark Souls. During an interlude where everyone was sort of doing their own thing (half of them were playing D&D) I figured, "hey, I'll give this a try". I wanted to see what this legendary difficulty factor was, to see what all the fuss was about.
I was really disappointed =|

At first, I was dying quite frequently because I don't play PS3 at all, and I wasn't used to the combat mechanics, but after the first boss and roaming around for an hour and a half, I realized how simple the game is. Every single enemy has a weakness that they expose in their attack chain. If you evade and defend for long enough, you will see that weakness, and they will continue to show it. All combat is, is knowing how to defeat each enemy when that weakness shows. Once I knew that, every enemy fell beneath my scimitar and rapier. I was still getting hit (I had only been playing the game for 2 hours really) but I wasn't getting insta-gibbed like I was at first. Even these annoying as hell shield/lance enemies that had an annoying weakness, were easymode.
I wanted to test my theory about this, so I got my friend (who's PS3 it was) to take me to the last boss, Lord of Cinder. After playing around with his character to get a feel for his weapon and movement speed, I started to fight Cinder. Like in my new game, I watched his attacks while evading (can't defend against his OP swings really) and figuring out where my opening was. He does a 3-chain attack when you stay within 2-3 arms reach of him where he attacks twice horizontally, then does a vertical slash into the ground that leaves him wide open. Roll behind, heavy slash once, then roll away again before he swipes you, and repeat. Over the course of 5 minutes, I was hit about 3-4 times (because I was greedy and wanted to be done) but had made Cinder, the last boss of a new game++ look like a cake walk.

...And this game is supposed to be table-flippingly hard?! Half the "difficulty" is finding that weak spot of the enemy, and the other half is dealing with large packs of enemies. The combat is hilariously simple to figure out if you have the patience for it.

I consider a game difficult when you know exactly what to do, but executing it is tricky and challenging. Like getting medals on some of the levels of Star Fox. Hell, I still consider Halo: CE on single player Legendary, to be one of the hardest games I have ever played.

Skin

Dec 28, 2011
Oh OP, wait till you finish the game for the first time and are able to kill the Taurus demon in <10 minutes.

Everyone has bosses they can and can't deal with. It took me a billion tries to kill the Stray demon, but only a couple of tries to defeat S+O.

Taurus may be your achilles heel.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Pointless game is stupid, imo. The entirely unevolving and uninviting story goes to new lengths to define cliche and generic, there's zero character, the world itself is dull, grey, lifeless, uninteresting and flat, there's absolutely nothing pushing you forward and there's ultimately nothing to the experience except working out how to defeat each enemy, then doing it over and over.

Dark Souls is to video games, what a bachelor of arts is to a CV.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
K1CKER said:
SlaveNumber23 said:
In this game you have to learn from your mistakes, if you are having trouble fighting through the enemies on the way to the boss unscathed then try avoiding them altogether?
What I said is I do NOT have trouble with the minions on the way to him, but I shouldn`t have to kill them slowly 100 times just to advance to the boss.
My point still stands, running past them is a lot quicker than 'slowly' fighting them all...

Actually you only have to kill them once each time you want to take on the boss, if you're dying to the boss 100 times you're doing it wrong.

K1CKER

Jul 24, 2009
Skin said:
Oh OP, wait till you finish the game for the first time and are able to kill the Taurus demon in <10 minutes.

Everyone has bosses they can and can't deal with. It took me a billion tries to kill the Stray demon, but only a couple of tries to defeat S+O.

Taurus may be your achilles heel.
lol I did kill him and in like 2 mins max, once I figured out what to do

I`m going to say it again, the game is not "difficult", it`s stupid and cheap and intentionally wastes your time for no good reason.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Torrasque said:
Just yesterday, I was hanging out with some friends at my University, and one of them brought his PS3 with Dark Souls. During an interlude where everyone was sort of doing their own thing (half of them were playing D&D) I figured, "hey, I'll give this a try". I wanted to see what this legendary difficulty factor was, to see what all the fuss was about.

At first, I was dying quite frequently because I don't play PS3 at all, and I wasn't used to the combat mechanics, but after the first boss and roaming around for an hour and a half, I realized how simple the game is. Every single enemy has a weakness that they expose in their attack chain. If you evade and defend for long enough, you will see that weakness, and they will continue to show it. All combat is, is knowing how to defeat each enemy when that weakness shows. Once I knew that, every enemy fell beneath my scimitar and rapier. I was still getting hit (I had only been playing the game for 2 hours really) but I wasn't getting insta-gibbed like I was at first. Even these annoying as hell shield/lance enemies that had an annoying weakness, were easymode.
I wanted to test my theory about this, so I got my friend (who's PS3 it was) to take me to the last boss, Lord of Cinder. After playing around with his character to get a feel for his weapon and movement speed, I started to fight Cinder. Like in my new game, I watched his attacks while evading (can't defend against his OP swings really) and figuring out where my opening was. He does a 3-chain attack when you stay within 2-3 arms reach of him where he attacks twice horizontally, then does a vertical slash into the ground that leaves him wide open. Roll behind, heavy slash once, then roll away again before he swipes you, and repeat. Over the course of 5 minutes, I was hit about 3-4 times (because I was greedy and wanted to be done) but had made Cinder, the last boss of a new game++ look like a cake walk.

...And this game is supposed to be table-flippingly hard?! Half the "difficulty" is finding that weak spot of the enemy, and the other half is dealing with large packs of enemies. The combat is hilariously simple to figure out if you have the patience for it.

I consider a game difficult when you know exactly what to do, but executing it is tricky and challenging. Like getting medals on some of the levels of Star Fox. Hell, I still consider Halo: CE on single player Legendary, to be one of the hardest games I have ever played.
I agree completely, I didn't find the game as insanely difficult as many people claim it to be but rather emphasized a lot more strongly on actually thinking about the game and learning from mistakes.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
If you're struggling with the Taurus demon, yet claim to have mastered the mechanics and have somehow elevated yourself into a position to judge the entire game on what can barely be called the first hour of content... go away, we don't want you. I'm tired of seeing these threads pop up where the op basically demands that we players bend over backwards to please you and keep you playing the game. The game is designed with the kind of player who rushes in without a second thought in mind. If you're struggling, just rethink your approach. If you're too pleased with yourself to bother taking in your surroundings, trying out different combat styles, or even admitting that you may not be as good at the game as you claim... just return it and stop playing. From what I've gathered about you in your opening post, I think the rest of the player base might be able to go on without you. It'll be a terrible loss, I'm sure, but we'll soldier on.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah, I had the same problem.

Hacking my way through the easy mooks every time I want to take a crack at the boss is just a waste of my time.

K1CKER

Jul 24, 2009
Gottesstrafe said:
If you're struggling with the Taurus demon, yet claim to have mastered the mechanics and have somehow elevated yourself into a position to judge the entire game on what can barely be called the first hour of content... go away, we don't want you. I'm tired of seeing these threads pop up where the op basically demands that we players bend over backwards to please you and keep you playing the game. The game is designed with the kind of player who rushes in without a second thought in mind. If you're struggling, just rethink your approach. If you're too pleased with yourself to bother taking in your surroundings, trying out different combat styles, or even admitting that you may not be as good at the game as you claim... just return it and stop playing. From what I've gathered about you in your opening post, I think the rest of the player base might be able to go on without you. It'll be a terrible loss, I'm sure, but we'll soldier on.
"bohoo why u say game me like is bad? me gud so game me like is must gud too xDxDxD"

that`s what I read

and the OP had a purpose, if you don`t want to help YOU can go away

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
SlaveNumber23 said:
Torrasque said:

I agree completely, I didn't find the game as insanely difficult as many people claim it to be but rather emphasized a lot more strongly on actually thinking about the game and learning from mistakes.
The game's legendary difficulty is it's ability to punish you for making mistakes. Fire Emblem will kill your characters, Starcraft will have you lose the game or units, and Dark Souls has you wade through dozens of enemies to get to the next checkpoint, where if you take too much damage and die, you lose all the experience you've obtained up to that moment.

You basically need to get really good at avoiding damage and ending battles quickly. Every game has that. In Paper Mario, you are ready to go to the next area when fighting the enemies in the current area, gets trivial.

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
Torrasque said:

Except that you never made it there.