Darkspore Gone Forever Due to Abandoned DRM - UPDATED

Apr 28, 2008
Gearhead mk2 said:
Irridium said:
I can't wait for this to happen to Destiny!.
Wait, isn't Destiny an MMO? And not in the "we're just saying it is so that we can get away with DRM" sense, I mean a legit MMO like Guild Wars is. If it is, that's justified because it needs to stay online. If it isn't... wow Bungie. How the mighty have fallen.
They're calling it a "shared-shooter" or some other buzzword of that sort. It has a story and everything you can play by yourself, but since its always-online you're always being matched with people and you'll randomly encounter them as you play through levels. I think. Still not 100% sure. But what I do know is that you'll be able to play through the game alone, but you'll need to be online to do it because of all the multiplayer and "shared world" stuff they're doing.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
I'm not convinced we can say for certain yet that a) the game is definitely broken for all players and b) it will never be fixed.

Inquisitor Laine (the guy who wrote that post) does not appear to be an EA employee. He's just a volunteer forum mod.

The only other place online I can find this story is Game Trailers (where Escapist have got it from) and they aren't citing anything other than that post by Inquisitor Laine.

Does anyone here actually own Darkspore? Can they verify that it doesn't work?

I'm only acting suspicious because gaming news sites like this have a habit of performing a variant of the [a href=http://xkcd.com/978/]Wikipedia Citogenesis[/a]. ;)

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Irridium said:
I can't wait for this to happen to Destiny!
Destiny?! What about Battlefield 3, or Diablo III, or Starcraft 2, or Simcity, or Mass Effect 3 or the entirety of everyone's Steam Library (far fetched but not impossible).

The number of games this applies (or could apply) to is quite startling, the more we get into it the more I think the 'digital future' is a bubble, be it games, movies, music or TV people aren't grasping that they're more or less foregoing right of ownership but are still paying money up front. Sooner or later there will be a huge backlash when these X as service models start falling over.

Taking bets on who will trigger it, Apple, EA, Fox or Netflix?

Apr 28, 2008
cursedseishi said:
Irridium said:
I can't wait for this to happen to Destiny!

This shows why I don't want games that require the internet (mainly the single-player portion of games). There will come a time where they will be unplayable by everyone forever. Games that require an internet connection have a limited life. It will run out, and then nobody will ever be able to play the game again.
Except Destiny is being advertised as a heavily multiplayer-focused game, so your ignorant little first sentence has absolutely no connection to this.

What you SHOULD of said was "I can't wait for this to happen to Sim City (or insert any Online-required yet mostly singular experience game)!". Then you may of actually been on topic. Which, I say, is rather ironic because your post then jumps straight into the train of thought as if you never even said something as close to idiotic as "I can't wait for an MMO-styled game to be unplayable once its servers are down!".
SimCity was also advertised as a heavily multiplayer-focused game. Bungie also stated that you can play Destiny on your own, without ever needing to play with anyone else. Only to do that you'll still need to be online, which is a shame because when the servers for it go down, you won't be able to play it at all, which sucks. Yes it does have a very heavy multiplayer focus, but from what I've seen so far, I don't see why they couldn't include an offline mode for people who just want to play on their own.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
And thus the long term damage of short sighted drm practices raises its ugly head. Sure it's a game no one has heard about or probably even remember but the thing is no one will be able to play it years from now, it will be like the game never existed to begin with. That is the future of any game that requires always on drm, no retro appeal, no fond memories of gaming history, no cult following. Just a title screen and a server error remain, the forgotten generation of gaming.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
It doesn't really hurt that one of the big companies who was pushing DRM has just demonstrated one of our greatest fears as nto only potentially valid, but real and present. But then we get this....

Cognimancer said:
Steam has pulled Darkspore from its store, though at time of writing EA is still selling it on Origin.
Not cool, EA. Not cool at all.

Adam Jensen said:
And this is what you can expect from every always-on game with a single player aspect. So go ahead and try to defend it without looking like a corporate tool.
"It doesn't affect me, so I don't care!"

That's the best I've got.

Though honestly, I doubt many of the people who support this kind of DRM are playing games from all the way back in 2011.

(At this point, I would like to note that I would normally have done a Jon Stewart-style take over the fact that this dead game is just two years old (roughly). However, in these circumstances, it actually goes with my portrayal of gamers as a group that by majority increasingly treats their hobby as disposable entertainment, so I'll play it straight).

Diablo1099 said:
That last part HAS to be illegal.
Consumers have virtually no rights these days. It's a sad state, but they can probably get away with it for a while at least. And even then, it will be consumer outrage and not laws that work. Hell, if anyone tries to contact the authorities or file a complaint, they will be called spoiled and entitled.

CyberMachinist said:
Well at least a questionably forgettable game well now be remembered as the videogames equivalent to the Alamo....... or something like it. There is a peculiar irony to this.
I don't know about irony, really. Rosa Parks was just a woman who was too tired and sore to give up her seat. She didn't think about politics when she refused, and certainly didn't think people would still be learning about her actions into the 21st century.

I'm not saying games are the equivalent of civil rights, for the record. Just using an example of someone small and unassuming becoming a rallying point.

I'm also not sure about the Alamo bit either, since people are mad today but might not be in a week. Darkspore may simply be forgotten because too few people have a pony in the race.

FEichinger said:
Think of it this way: This could just as well have been Diablo 3, SimCity or Assassin's Creed 2 (back in the day) - or any other game featuring DRM of the intrusive fashion.
To be fair, if it were one of the above games, they would be far more likely to work on the bugs or another solution to pacify the masses who bought it. A more popular game would get better treatment because of a bigger customer base. It might be that the above games see their servers shut down in time, but I suspect it will be different circumstances and handled differently.

I could be wrong on both my short-term and long-term speculation, but it is just that. Speculation. I'd like this to become a big deal before the time runs out on the big games, but I kind of doubt that's the outcome we'll get.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Irridium said:
Gearhead mk2 said:
Irridium said:
I can't wait for this to happen to Destiny!.
Wait, isn't Destiny an MMO? And not in the "we're just saying it is so that we can get away with DRM" sense, I mean a legit MMO like Guild Wars is. If it is, that's justified because it needs to stay online. If it isn't... wow Bungie. How the mighty have fallen.
They're calling it a "shared-shooter" or some other buzzword of that sort. It has a story and everything you can play by yourself, but since its always-online you're always being matched with people and you'll randomly encounter them as you play through levels. I think. Still not 100% sure. But what I do know is that you'll be able to play through the game alone, but you'll need to be online to do it because of all the multiplayer and "shared world" stuff they're doing.
Ah, right. That actually sounds pretty cool, like what Journey did.

Apr 28, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Consumers have virtually no rights these days. It's a sad state, but they can probably get away with it for a while at least. And even then, it will be consumer outrage and not laws that work. Hell, if anyone tries to contact the authorities or file a complaint, they will be called spoiled and entitled.
Well at least they'll be able to get together to file a class-action lawsuit!

Oh, wait, that's right. EA made everyone give up that right with their EULA.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
When this initially came out I really wanted to try it since I love Diablo style games and I really enjoyed Spore for what it was.

Years later when I finally get a computer that can run it, find out this thing is terrible. Even by my standards. It was dull, slow, and you never had that feeling of always getting stronger.

I have a feeling people won;t miss this one.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
PH3NOmenon said:
Man, the three people who bought Darkspore are going to be so disappointed. No, wait. Because even the three people who bought it would never want to boot it up again either.
Now now. I had fun the few times I actually played it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
cursedseishi said:
Except Destiny is being advertised as a heavily multiplayer-focused game, so your ignorant little first sentence has absolutely no connection to this.

What you SHOULD of said was "I can't wait for this to happen to Sim City (or insert any Online-required yet mostly singular experience game)!".
Except SimCity was heavily marketed as online experience.

I know you list other games, but it's funny you pick that one as your only specific example.

RatherDull said:
This saddens me. The idea that any game may be lost forever, even a mediocre one like Darkspore, is like losing any other piece of art.

Now aspiring designers and developers of the future will be able to learn nothing from Darkspore. For good or bad.
They can always learn "DRM may have consequences down the road."

Anyway, I doubt it's gone forever. I bet pirates have it. A while back, there were articles on here with people talking about pirates as historians. And here we are. Born to be kings. We're the princes of the...Whoops.

Also, Darkspore has a ton of content on Youtube that will certainly allow designers to learn from it.
Pirate Of PC Master race said:
What a future where you can't play the damn game we bought.

Explain that, you future insisting bastards.
I suspect "we don't care" will be the only response.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
We just need this to happen to a popular game so everyone can see what the 'future of gaming' will really be like.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
So what they are basically saying is: There's this problem which prevents you from playing the game and we're not going to fix it.
Too bad it didn't happen to game more people play, because this will be forgotten very quickly.

I'm guessing that a crack will be rebranded as a user-made patch and will allow legitimate owners to play single-player.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
You would think that after losing large chunks of the early history of film and television that as a society we'd be beyond this... nope.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
And this ladies and gentlemen is what will happen to all games that require "allways online"

The publishers/developers do not make their games in such a way that a simple patch will allow you to play your game offline after the servers went down.