Darkspore Gone Forever Due to Abandoned DRM - UPDATED

Severian

Jun 13, 2013
AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Drm. Wave of the future of games. This should make developers and publishers happy. :/

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
And this is why I have no faith in origin, I don't trust ea with complete control over my games.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I've been troubled by stuff like this for years. What happens when I'm old get nostalgic? Will half the games I played be gone forever? All because they force bullshit connection requirements on games that don't really require it.

I played the beta, glad I gave it up pretty quick. Having spore in the title was an attempted cash in, anyway.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Even if EA doesn't throw in a patch to fix this before long, I'll bet anything that someone bypassed this DRM within the first month at the most after this game was released and uploaded it long ago. I also bet that the few that have actually bought this and those that are still buying this will probably start using whatever crack that is.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Irridium said:
Gearhead mk2 said:
Irridium said:
I can't wait for this to happen to Destiny!.
Wait, isn't Destiny an MMO? And not in the "we're just saying it is so that we can get away with DRM" sense, I mean a legit MMO like Guild Wars is. If it is, that's justified because it needs to stay online. If it isn't... wow Bungie. How the mighty have fallen.
They're calling it a "shared-shooter" or some other buzzword of that sort. It has a story and everything you can play by yourself, but since its always-online you're always being matched with people and you'll randomly encounter them as you play through levels. I think. Still not 100% sure. But what I do know is that you'll be able to play through the game alone, but you'll need to be online to do it because of all the multiplayer and "shared world" stuff they're doing.
I wouldn't be so sure. Remember, Demons/Dark Souls did something very similar, and you can still play those games offline just fine. Sure, you miss part of the experience by playing offline, but you can still do it.

fix-the-spade said:
Irridium said:
I can't wait for this to happen to Destiny!
Destiny?! What about Battlefield 3, or Diablo III, or Starcraft 2, or Simcity, or Mass Effect 3 or the entirety of everyone's Steam Library (far fetched but not impossible).
Actually, that Steam one is highly unlikely. Steam has an offline mode that generally allows you to play you Stream games just fine.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
I have the game, but barely played it. It's one of those games on a back burner (Way back at this point), but I did intend to play it some year. I bought it on sale though so it wasn't that expensive (probably got it at 75% off through steam).

I must say that if I can never play it again in the future, I've saved WAY more on steam then the loss from this one game, so I'm not too worried about it.

That being said, this is one time I think pirating makes sense. If a game is only playable via pirated version, and you bought it legally....then well...it should not be illegal to pirate it. I have no clue if a pirated version of Dark spore was released or not...but since most games seem to end up having a pirated version it probably was.

Maybe Steam will eventually upgrade to the pirated version lol.

Anyway I think EA games needs to release a patch that allows it to be played without the servers at this point. If they are abandoning the game, then abandon the DRM..and let all the people who purchases it play it. As far as people who didn't purchase it...who cares..they abaondoned the game anyway.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I wanted to try out this game a long time ago, and now I learn that it had always online DRM... Well good riddance to be honest, EA has been ruinning a lot of stuff for a while now, and they probably won't change at all.

It's really funny how the only way that you can play a game that had always online DRM to avoid piracy is through a pirated version, lovely lovely irony.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
and this is the future of every game with this -new age always online drm-, EA, microsoft. and this is not unexpected. everyone knows it eventually comes to this. it's inevitable. so FUCK OFF. stop it. this is not the future we want. it's not the future we don't know we want, as you ignorantly suspect. a lot of the core crowd is already against this, and you. i hope this event opens even more eyes to your dystopian vision of the future. and if you keep pushing this atrocious ideology, i sincerely hope this event ignites the seed of destruction that leads to your completely obliteration.

change your path. there is still plenty of time to save yourself. there is still plenty of money out there for you to earn. you make good games that people want to buy and play. but you're trying to take too much.
back off.
right now.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Roander said:
MetalMagpie said:
I'm not convinced we can say for certain yet that a) the game is definitely broken for all players and b) it will never be fixed.

Inquisitor Laine (the guy who wrote that post) does not appear to be an EA employee. He's just a volunteer forum mod.

The only other place online I can find this story is Game Trailers (where Escapist have got it from) and they aren't citing anything other than that post by Inquisitor Laine.

Does anyone here actually own Darkspore? Can they verify that it doesn't work?

I'm only acting suspicious because gaming news sites like this have a habit of performing a variant of the [a href=http://xkcd.com/978/]Wikipedia Citogenesis[/a]. ;)
That was a good question. I own it and I was able to sign in, after going through the standard "we've updated our terms of service, please indicate that you've read and agree to this nonsense that we know you're not going to read every time we do this". Anyway, no apparently it's not broken for everyone. If there are knows bugs that make the game unplayable for some people and they have no intention of fixing those bugs it's still irresponsible to keep selling the game. Do they at least have some sort of warning posted on their site?
Hmmm...so "sorta kinda" should be added to the end of the title? Again?

Not cool, Escapist, not cool.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
Adam Jensen said:
And this is what you can expect from every always-on game with a single player aspect. So go ahead and try to defend it without looking like a corporate tool.
Agreed. This was not at all unforeseeable.

I just wish I could take this news into the past, find everyone who screamed "SLIPPERY SLOPE!" and "THEY WOULD NEVER DO THAT!" and ***** slap them across the fucking eyes with it.
That's funny because some corporate tools on this forum have accused me of slippery slope argument when I was talking about this in the past. Some people just can't see what's in front of them.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011

I actually own this game and haven't had the chance to beat it.

Now, it seems like I never will.

Thanks, EA. [i]You're my favorite company.[/i]

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Wow. Well that's fucking beautiful.That is so much fucking bull shit it's unreal. And they're still pushing always online DRM! At least now we have a concrete example to point to when we complain about it.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
But it was worth it for stopping all those people that were gonna pirate freakin' Darkspore, right?

....right?

Seriously, this is why people hate you EA. You are literally selling a broken product, AGAIN. That it is still on sale on Origin without so much as a warning that it is currently not playable (let alone that it may never be playable again) is nothing short of fucking despicable.

Jun 23, 2008
To Hell with remembering Darkspore: remember Zune. I still have a 20mb rockbox that cannot be used because Big Micro decided to update the DRM on Windows Media Player.

People were forced to purchase and re-purchase music as old DRM systems were no longer supported by new MP3 players and new WMP protocols. The happy ending to that story is that now most music is now DRM free, just watermarked. Most.

We said this would happen to games. No-one listened.

And you know they still won't. You guys, much as I'm glad you're here and reading this, are not the EA target demographic, the ones that shop at Target or K-mart or Walmart and don't know any better but to tolerate whatever studded dildo EA chooses to stuff up everyone's rectums. EA is going to continue to make crap and put it on their crap data distro service.

Thank goodness, for now, inflow of the DRM-free (or at least DRM-lite) indie games is still strong.

238U

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
To be honest, Darkspore has been unplayable since nearly launch. I can't remember the many weeks on end that the game would not allow log ins, or when it deleted characters, or just plain threw up error codes we never got an explanation for.

The solution is as always, look for alternate executables. The singleplayer component worked and works perfectly fine if you can change the code not to look online.

All EA needs to do is release one final patch to fix this, and then at least Darkspore's singleplayer will be available for suckers like me who purchased it.

Bolt-206

Dec 6, 2010
Abomination said:
Loop Stricken said:
PH3NOmenon said:
Man, the three people who bought Darkspore are going to be so disappointed. No, wait. Because even the three people who bought it would never want to boot it up again either.
Now now. I had fun the few times I actually played it.
Yeah, but what about the other two?
Steams says I put 134 hours into, so I'd say I had fun with it.

Still wasn't finished with this game either, but I suppose warning lights were blaring when updates stopped coming in only 4 and a half months after launch, with the last still leaving a ton of bugs and a time eating new map that eats away at older systems (like mine), so I should've seen this much coming...

Xariat

Jan 30, 2011
Cognimancer said:
though at time of writing EA is still selling it on Origin.
OK this cannot possibly be legal? that's not just false advertisement, it's a fucking scam.

Also, does anyone have a picture of Darkspore giving erro code 3 or error 73003? I want to make a Never Forget picture so I can bring it up every time someone defends the always-online policy.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Phrozenflame500 said:
Cognimancer said:
Darkspore Now Requires a Third-Party Crack To Play
Fixed it for you. Remember folks: cracking is 100% legal as long as you own a legal copy and didn't pirate it like a bad boy.
...and didn't violate the provision in the DMCA that prohibits bypassing DRM, or the relevant provision that exists in whatever trade agreement your country signed with the US in the last 15 or so years.