Dating Blindness

Fantasylord

Aug 25, 2009
Ya that sounds like me though ironically I do have a girlfriend and have no clue how I accomplished it.
(And yes I do have Asperger Syndrome.)In spite of being completely blind to nonverbal cues, plus all my anti-social behaviors, people still approach me wanting to be friends, occasionally I even have the occasional crazy chick scream her so-called undying love for me, luckily for me the ladder it doesn't happen to often.

So to answer your question yes it is possible for guys who are socially isolated to eventually find a relationship eventually.
Some tips for guys both normal or that have social anxiety:

-Obsess over how non-verbal cues work, there are plenty of books on that sort of thing out there heck I had to study one for the past 6 months so it isn't impossible to learn all the various cues out there so you can eventually pick up on them in spite of any in born blindness.

-People often want what they perceive they don't have. I remember my first day of going back to school after having graduated high school but went back to school 3 years later. Day one as soon as lunch hit I went off to the cafeteria and within the next 20 minutes I was approached by 2 of my fellow classmates wanting to be friends.(I hadn't talked to anyone and any break between classes I spent listening to music and reading aka totally ignoring everyone.) By the end of the first 2 weeks I was friends with everyone in the class.

-Another case is when I'm at work but I choose to spend my break-time reading and listening to music and yet I am constantly approached by people wanting to talk or get to know me. Before any1 asks I have people from both genders bugging me. (This is how I met my current girlfriend.)

-Acting like a nice guy contrary to "the nice guys finish last." saying is actually a good idea. If you offer a sympathetic ear when someone has a problem and simply hearing them out they start to get comfortable around you at least and if you are perceived as friendly more people start approaching you.. Just don't turn into a door mat don't be they guy that has to buy everyone everything or drive everyone everywhere bc then you will only be seen as a chauffeur, and a wallet with legs.

-Be ready to start new things, everyone is different chances are if you do start socializing you might start doing stuff a bit outside of your comfort-zone, my advice is be adventurous.

-You have to be seen: go out to a bar or a coffee shop or the mall, you won't meet anyone waiting around your house, apartment,condo whatever.Hey on occasion simply reading or gaming out in the open makes a decent conversation starter.

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
mt social anxiety is one stemming from culture shock, and the bulling i went through, when i moved to finland, and maybe the finnish culture itself.

but if i force myself to start a conversation, and if my partner shares that interest, i find that the conversation just flows...

what it all boils down, is the fear of those awkward silences which kinda inhibit me... even more so with women.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
thaluikhain said:
No, the idea is absurd.

Women aren't mysterious alien creatures it's difficult to communicate with. If their signals aren't being received, they can always try different signals.
I suggest changing bands, maybe she is broadcasting on FM and you are AM...
/nerd jokes

But of course you can be "blind" to the signals. Hell two people observing a conversation will end up with two different thoughts on what was going on.

Heck I know people that view ANY reaction from a girl as "she is totally into me" so the opposite must also exist.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Aurgelmir said:
But of course you can be "blind" to the signals. Hell two people observing a conversation will end up with two different thoughts on what was going on.

Heck I know people that view ANY reaction from a girl as "she is totally into me" so the opposite must also exist.
That's true, but only up to a point. Spelling things out is generally a good idea anyway.

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
I used to be a bit like that. There was one girl, who I was pretty good friends with, who would regularly flirt with me, hang out with me all the time, constantly tease and compliment me, and we'd hug for about 5 minutes whenever we met up. As far as I was concerned, I liked her, but we were just friends. Then, after maybe two years of this, we met up one day, hugged, and she kissed me, then looked shy and embarrassed, and ran off.

I spent the rest of the week trying to work out if that meant she liked me, or I was just imagining things.

OT: No. If you don't have any experience or practice, just start practicing. Besides, bitches be crazy, I'm sure at least one in the world could fall for said guy and express it in some unmistakable way.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I wouldn't say it's an innate thing that some people can do and some people can't but, that said, there is probably a level to which this sort of thing is true. From a psychological standpoint, this is the sort of situation that's ripe for cotinual self doubt and self sabotage. If you have a date and screw it up horribly, or if you totally misread the signals someone is giving you and you keep dwelling on it, you're just going to get even more nervous about it and and even more convinced that you can't do it. Then, if you end up in that situation again you are more likely to "do it wrong" simply because you're so preoccupied with the thought that you can't do it right. This sort of process can certainly snowball and get even worse with every failure that you partially bring on by your own actions.

It's never a case of literally not being able to do it, but mentally it could certainly seem that way if you let it.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I sure as hell hope not, because if that's the case then that's pretty much the scenario I'm facing.

EDIT:
Paragon Fury said:
To be fair, we are talking about people who wouldn't get the hint if the woman wore a giant neon sign around their neck; they'd ask why she would wear something so uncomfortable and then probably go back about their day.
Oh... never mind. forget what I just said.

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
Hopeless? I don't think so. A late bloomer, maybe.

I remember there was a girl I liked in High School (who, upon reflection, showed a considerable amount of... something toward me. I don't know, it just seemed she would constantly pop out of nowhere to say 'Hi' to me.), homecoming was coming up (but I had no real interest in going) but just as small talk I asked if she was going and this was her response verbatim: "Probably not, unless someone asks me."

Now I don't know how...'normal' people learn how to read signals but I must have been sick that day because when home coming came and went, suddenly she stopped popping up to say Hi. And my dumb ass never figured out what the problem was...until my Sophomore year of college.

Still, I did manage to learn from my mistakes, I did learn to eventually become a bit more aggressive and BOOM: been with the same girl for 5 years -even somehow tricked her into marrying me if you can believe it.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Hmm well I went to the store with my sister one day and I guess the poor guy behind the counter was trying everything to get my attention and I was just so out of it, I couldn't even fathom why a guy would even want to speak to me. When we left,

my sister said "You know he was trying to flirt with you right?"

To which I replied "WHAT he was!?"

I felt so horrible about it. I'm sorry but I can't hear you from the moon.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
Paragon Fury said:
I'm not talking about someone who socially isolated as in no human contact; this is a person who is able to function normally and everything in everyday life, but they simply don't "get" or unable to respond to any kind of romantic interaction. They like women, and even think about romantic relationships and the like but the actual forming of one and carrying one out appears beyond their ability.

Less "disability" and more along the lines of a cultural/social disconnect, like if you just dumped an American person into Russia, etc.
I'm going to assume you're not talking about yourself here, unless you always talk about yourself in the third person.

I was going to be flippant and contrary to everyone else and say yes, it certainly is, but then I thought I might as well just curl up in a corner and stop breathing, because thats exactly what I'm like. I suck at reading people, but then I suck at giving out signs myself.

On the plus side, there is a woman I've been interested in for like, six years, and I recently figured out that you can just ask them out. OK, so it blew up in my face, but thats what Evanescence and razor blades are for, right?

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
Many of our social interactions are learned things. So if you go a long time without learning those things you're definitely behind the curve, but you are by no means a lost cause. It'll be more awkward to learn and catch up to where others are, but if you just go out and practice then eventually you will gain the knowledge needed.

And yes, I know it's significantly easier said than done, but the general principle applies. And note that I use "you" in the general sense, not referring to any specific person like the OP. It's incredibly hard to make those first initial steps, and continuing afterwards depends on whether or not your first few attempts are successful, but if you stick with it then you'll be okay. Assuming no disorders, there's no such thing as being a "lost cause" unless the person completely gives up and absolutely refuses to engage with other people.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Paragon Fury said:
I'm not talking about someone who socially isolated as in no human contact; this is a person who is able to function normally and everything in everyday life, but they simply don't "get" or unable to respond to any kind of romantic interaction. They like women, and even think about romantic relationships and the like but the actual forming of one and carrying one out appears beyond their ability.

Less "disability" and more along the lines of a cultural/social disconnect, like if you just dumped an American person into Russia, etc.
I don't get flirting at all, either. Unlike you, I don't crave sex or relatinships, though, so I haven't really put too much effort into trying.

Still, if you're bad with flirting and hints, just approach dating in another way: find someone who you have a mutual appreciation of as people, and ask them out. You know, make friends and have that escalate to a relationship.
Flirting is a tool, but you don't need it.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
There is no depth to flirting. Its the (non rape-y) courting equivalent of a blunt instrument. Though without experience its easy to overlook (due to not being able to identify it in use). The only remedy to inexperience is to go out and experience.

Also, note that recognising flirtation is not something that is 100% accurate ... or even half that. Unless they are all over you and being particularly blatant about their advances, there is always a chance you could be misinterpreting communication. Those advise sites you see on the web and in papers? Yeah, again people aren't made to specifications... there is no perfect way of swooning the ladies (or enrapturing the fellas) that is fail-safe. Put simply, the dating game is a mess of risks, with hope that it will have a fulfilling pay off (which isn't 100% either).

If fulfilment to you is doing the vertical tango or finding your soul partner, does not matter as long as the person you are warming up to shares a similar point of view (otherwise things get messy).

But more importantly... flirting is actually NOT necessary in forging a relationship. If you are not an upfront kind of fellow, flirting might be quite disastrous. Personally I've had more success courting in my day to day life, then actively going out on the prowl, like some love starved predator.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
If you are used to being rejected or in general not getting hit on by women that often, you might ignore certain otherwise obvious signs, because you just aren't used to reading those signs. But if that is not the case..No, I don't think so.

aestu

Jun 19, 2012
Paragon Fury said:
Is it possible for someone, in this case a guy, because of years of no experience/interaction or even significant contact with women, to become so inept and incapable of detecting, responding to flirtation/romantic and/or intimate advances or interacting with women on a non-surface level that you could essentially call them a lost cause or that they'll never be good enough at it to accomplish anything meaningful?
Who knows. Odds are you're just dating women who don't care about you.

Paragon Fury said:
Just to note, there are a few caveats: The question is excluding people with actual, diagnosable social or interaction disorders like Aspergers and the like. This question is framed more around the "normal" person who through lack of ability/availability/situation is simply so unpracticed, inhibited etc. that nothing meaningful can be accomplished in any acceptable timeframe.
Aspbergers is grossly overdiagnosed. Legitimate cases are extremely rare.

Stop blaming yourself for other people (the women you're dating) being shallow tools. They're interested, or they're not. And if they are interested and you aren't picking up on it so what?

Xeraxis

Aug 7, 2011
No one can be a "lost cause" just because one has troubles in this type of scenario. It's just that kind of person will struggle more than usual to understand social interaction the right way.

Also...

Realitycrash said:
If you are used to being rejected or in general not getting hit on by women that often, you might ignore certain otherwise obvious signs, because you just aren't used to reading those signs.
I agree with this. Mainly because that describes the way I am when it comes to this sort of thing.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Syzygy23 said:
Vault101 said:
[small/]oh for fucks sake[/small]

stop over thinking it..here's a revolutionary thought

[b/]women are just like you[/b]
Last time I checked I didn't have boobs and a vagina, nor the brain-chemistry altering hormones required to maintain said organs. I wouldn't say women are Just like me.

OP, if there's a girl you like, and you're having trouble interpreting if the feeling is mutual, just suck it up and be direct. The longer you beat around the bush the more stress it causes.
well duuuuuhh

my point was its a much better way to veiw women instead of Alien creatures....because waside from those things are all human/complex induviduals

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
To answer the question people keeping asking, or more accurately assuming, no, this is not directly about me. I have my own laundry list of problems relating to women, and this really isn't one of them.

This question came up more as one of those "Well, what if....." things.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
So I've been thinking about something a lot lately ad I'm not sure I can reason out an answer all by myself. I'll save you the story behind the it right now (I'm too tired to type it now), but the question is this:

Is it possible for someone, in this case a guy, because of years of no experience/interaction or even significant contact with women, to become so inept and incapable of detecting, responding to flirtation/romantic and/or intimate advances or interacting with women on a non-surface level that you could essentially call them a lost cause or that they'll never be good enough at it to accomplish anything meaningful?

Just to note, there are a few caveats: The question is excluding people with actual, diagnosable social or interaction disorders like Aspergers and the like. This question is framed more around the "normal" person who through lack of ability/availability/situation is simply so unpracticed, inhibited etc. that nothing meaningful can be accomplished in any acceptable timeframe.
I think that this may apply to me. If someone was to try and flirt with me I would most likely not even know they were flirting with me. One of my fellow college classmates was apparently interested in me but I didn't know it until she told me directly. I don't understand how she could have been interested in me considering she hardly knew me.