David Cameron calls for all teens to do community service.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Compulsory community service? As far as I know doing that is against the Human Rights Charta...

In theory, yes I'm for it. Hate me for it if you want, but I very much like the idea of showing all those spoiled private-schooled teenagers other sides of life. Just keeping to the extreme here of course, but I support the general idea.

Hellenion

Jul 23, 2009
Azure-Supernova said:
I'm all for it. At least he's not bringing National Service back.
Says the 19-year-old.

These riots piss me off not because of the whole destruction schtick but because they weren't actually about anything. It wasn't a protest against the government, it wasn't the poor against the rich. It was a bunch of oppurtunist thugs causing anarchy for the sake of anarchy. This is an unfortunate side-effect from a government that thinks it was politically minded.

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
You know I'm just going to say it. Its not that horrible of an idea to have teenagers perform community service as part of their education.

To do it as some sort of blanket punishment for the riots is quite stupid though. Also the amount of time he suggests (3-6 months) is ridiculous. Something like a few hours every month during a particular school year(s) is much more reasonable.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Fuck. That. But wait, is it actually being implemented? I'm 16 myself but I guess it isn't...

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
ToastiestZombie said:
He has called for every 16 year old to have compulsory community service as a rite of passage.
Actually no he didn't. The Daily Express want that, but in the article My Cameron says ?Let?s make National Citizen Service available to all 16-year-olds as a rite of passage,? it is voluntary. I suggest you edit the OP accordingly.

The Express are the ones pushing the agenda, and have twisted what he said to make it look like they've "won".

A easily available voluntary community service scheme helping out your area sounds like a good thing to me. I used to do some similar stuff when I was in high school, and I've done a bit of charity work too.

PixelKing

Moderately confused.
Sep 4, 2009
I'm doing community service for keeping my head down and not causing trouble
Hahaha. No.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Good luck with that Mr David "Penisburg" Cameron. I doubt any 16 year old is going to do that, wouldn't it be illegal? It's basically slave labour.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Hellenion said:
Azure-Supernova said:
I'm all for it. At least he's not bringing National Service back.
Says the 19-year-old.

These riots piss me off not because of the whole destruction schtick but because they weren't actually about anything. It wasn't a protest against the government, it wasn't the poor against the rich. It was a bunch of oppurtunist thugs causing anarchy for the sake of anarchy. This is an unfortunate side-effect from a government that thinks it was politically minded.
Read my edit, National Citizenship has been running since 2010 and is voluntary. Cameron says:

Thousands of teenagers are taking part this summer. The plan is for 30,000 to take part next year. But in response to the riots I will say this: This should become a great national effort.

?Let?s make National Citizen Service available to all 16-year-olds as a rite of passage.?
It's not compulsory. He's stating that he wants to make more people elgible to take part in the pre-existing scheme, the OP and damn near everyone else has read the article wrong. Infact, to point out futher that everyone has simply misread, Boris Johnson claims that he thinks it should be compulsory in the article below.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Glad it didn't spread to Northern Ireland, or else I'd be screwed since I'd be spending half the summer cutting through my grandfather's trees (and believe me, that is ALOT of ground to cover) and the other half doing community service for something no one within 20 miles of me could have had anything to do with it.
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
This is guaranteed to make the riots 100% worse.
and 20% cooler :)
orangeban said:
Though I must say that Ed Milliband is looking pretty good in all this, he's is talking some sense.
yeah I'm suprised too, maybe it's because Miliband didn't have his holiday cut short and isn't on a political rampage or anything.
Mackheath said:
Half the rioters were the sort of scum that sit on benefits and have 8 children; the rioters-and them alone-should be lining the streets and clean their shit up, and pay back every penny of the damage they caused. This is basically mass teenage discrimination when adults took part in them too.
pay? their chavs they don't have any money! and the whole community service thing is bull since most chavs haven't(and will continue to not) work a day in their lives.

Oh and to end this off I'm going to quote Charlie Brooker from his last news report on the Guardian:
''I've noticed that most of the stores that have been hit are electronics and clothes shops, probably something to do with the need for material goods and I also saw a video showing a lady looting a shoe store but first trying on the pairs before she took them, and why do that? shoes are shit! you walk around in them for a bit until they get too small or they go out of style.

I guess it's all to do with entitlement, Back in the 80's, one of the more popular shows on, Dallas, showed the life of a rich man who had life falling apart around him even though he was a billionare and the kids shows were all about how to make things like cups out of toilet paper tubes and a plastic top, nowadays everything, no matter how expensive, is something YOU must have because YOU are so special and even though YOU can't afford it YOU deserve it.''

Glowbug

Jul 10, 2011
"Hug a hoodie"? "Supercop"? Bullshit, Mr. Cameron?

Cameron seems to only know a language of buzzwords and dissapointment. As somebody directly in the firing line for this, if I get chosen for this scheme I shall proudly sit in my room playing my xbox. I might even play GTA San Andreas on riot mode and send him pictures.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
DAVID CAMERON SPOUTS SOME ELITIST CRAP THAT WIDENS THE GAPING DIVIDE IN THE BRITISH CLASS SYSTEM!

Ahem, sorry about that. Yeah, this isn't surprising. He would send the poorer classes up chimneys if he could. He'd ship them abroad if it weren't for the European government. It ain't nice living in a country dominated by the political right, and unfortunately intelligence is a rarity, so they're democratically going to keep winning. Oooh, it feels like the 80's again! Thank fuck I'm not a teenager.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
>> Take away all chance of getting a university education

>> expect us to do months of labour for no pay.

>> Nothing bad can ever come of this.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
thenumberthirteen said:
ToastiestZombie said:
He has called for every 16 year old to have compulsory community service as a rite of passage.
Actually no he didn't. The Daily Express want that, but in the article My Cameron says ?Let?s make National Citizen Service available to all 16-year-olds as a rite of passage,? it is voluntary. I suggest you edit the OP accordingly.

The Express are the ones pushing the agenda, and have twisted what he said to make it look like they've "won".

A easily available voluntary community service scheme helping out your area sounds like a good thing to me. I used to do some similar stuff when I was in high school, and I've done a bit of charity work too.
Sorry for that, a bit lower down it said that Boris Johnson called for compulsory and it seemed like Cameron liked that idea.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
as much as I don't see a problem with people doing community service work, making it mandatory does not help the problem.
only making it mandatory for those who have been suspended from school or have been known to stir the pot for no reason should.
such as instead of a teenager just staying home for suspension, maybe work at a soup kitchen for twelve hours each day they are suspended or whatever is applicable in the area. It helps the community and if the teenager hates it then maybe they don't pull any bullshit when there is no need to.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
dex-dex said:
as much as I don't see a problem with people doing community service work, making it mandatory does not help the problem.
only making it mandatory for those who have been suspended from school or have been known to stir the pot for no reason should.
such as instead of a teenager just staying home for suspension, maybe work at a soup kitchen for eight hours or whatever is applicable in the area. It helps the community and if the teenager hates it then maybe they don't pull any bullshit when there is no need to.
Now you said that, that is a VERY good idea. Kids who are suspended/expelled from school actually like it cos they can be with their friends and do whatever they want all day. That would be a really good punishment for those sort of people.

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
orangeban said:
Oh, fuck you Cameron, you and your Torie friends can go die in a pit. Honestly, I've seen his reaction to all this and it's all bollocks, he blames lack of father figures, lack of discipline in schools, the police not filling all the rioters with lead.

Though I must say that Ed Milliband is looking pretty good in all this, he's is talking some sense.
Ed Milliband is doing what he's supposed to be doing, which is waiting for the public reaction to whatever the PM says, before spinning some bullshit to make himself seem better. It's a vicious circle that's doomed to repeat itself as they clamber over each other, aiming for the top of the dung heap.

If you think any of them give a fuck about any of us, you're seriously mistaken.

Although I feel that Cameron isn't right with this one, seeing as it's too late by the time these scum are teens as they're already broken.

The difference between you and me is that I know that it makes no difference who's in power. The politicians may not have burned down businesses and looted shops, but they're still a bunch of untrustworthy thieving cunts.