David Jaffe Lashes Out at CNN Anchor

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I have to completely agree with the good doctor. More control over guns AND games isn't a bad idea at all. I'd be happy knowing my younger brother, and maybe someday my children won't be able to play games that are so grotesque. I'd also be happy knowing people can't go out to the local shop and buy an M16.

Of course, these don't cause people to want to murder a whole bunch of innocents, but it can't hurt to have a little restriction on these things.

Also, it's funny how she is trying to argue with facts and then basically mocking him, what a *****.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I always say the best way to disprove claims of violent video games causing violence is with a violent outburst.

I mean, yeah, Burnett is a troll among trolls, but we're not going to get people to take our medium very seriously when the industry leaders are having man-child tantrums on Twitter.
Problem with that is their audience is too stupid to actually care about what our medium is really about. They just want to watch sensationalist garbage where people tell you what you should believe.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
There is a reason the only news I watch on TV anymore is the PBS newshour and now and again the BBC. The rest of the TV news is getting to the pants on head level.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Capitano Segnaposto said:
soren7550 said:
soren7550 said:
Mr. Jaffe, I want to make you cookies now. Or brownies. Or a pie. Or cake. Or chicken. Your choice, sir.
Hell, I will give him a whole grilled lobster!
You do that, since I have no clue how to cook seafood, or much of anything (that, and I find the idea of boiling a lobster alive morally wrong).
They don't cry. That is just steam escaping from their shells. Also, when you gut fish they are alive... sometimes. However, you can kill lobsters if you want, but they taste better fresh.
Gutted? ALIVE? THE SEAFOOD INDUSTRY IS FULL OF MONSTERS!!! >X[

(I don't have anything against you if you eat seafood, but that's just messed up to me)

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
sweet merciful baby jesus, why did the guy in the gun segment constantly turn his back to the camera and thus the audience, why did he feel the need to operate the screen himself? for decades we have the system to have tech guys do that behind the camera so the people in front of the camera can actually look at the audience.
is that kinda thing normal for american "news"?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I recall reading somewhere that the citizens of ancient Rome believed that Opera caused violence and murder. Society has always used convenient scapegoats with no evidence to support it.

Good on Jaffe for standing up to her and calling her out on her bullshit.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
amaranth_dru said:
Folks please note: This is CNN not FOX news reporting this garbage. A good sign that major media outlets care less about truth in journalism and more about inciting flame wars. In other words, ALL news channels are troll-bait and untrustworthy.
I really feel bad for you Americans that you have to live with this kind of journalism. How does anyone in your country get any facts?

Thank god that in England we have the BBC. Hell, televised media journalists are not even allowed to state their political opinions in our country. Plus while we do have biased media it is all confined to newspapers, so we can just ignore all of them.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Using your position of influence as a reporter to spread wildly inaccurate rumours as facts: "Journalism"

Using your position of expertise as a child psychologist to repudiate inaccurate statements by stating the lack of evidence to support it: "Provocative"

Aug 1, 2010
Really lady? Points for killing hookers??? Come on, this isn't the fucking 90s anymore. You can't just grab lines from Jack Thompson and expect them to be good insight.

I think my favorite part of the whole interview is when the guy has just denied there is evidence and is explaining how gun control is really what's needed and what do they play? Clips of a player killing people with a crossbow in CoD.

Good on you Jaffe. We need more industry professionals to speak up.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Gizmo1990 said:
amaranth_dru said:
Folks please note: This is CNN not FOX news reporting this garbage. A good sign that major media outlets care less about truth in journalism and more about inciting flame wars. In other words, ALL news channels are troll-bait and untrustworthy.
I really feel bad for you Americans that you have to live with this kind of journalism. How does anyone in your country get any facts?

Thank god that in England we have the BBC. Hell, televised media journalists are not even allowed to state their political opinions in our country. Plus while we do have biased media it is all confined to newspapers, so we can just ignore all of them.
While i mainly agree with you the bbc are just as guilty as other news outlets when it comes to their reporting of school shootings.

Regarding jaffe, Good work that man!

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Fappy said:
amaranth_dru said:
Broadcast news is a blight on journalism.

OT: Another reason to love David Jaffe. This is almost as good as the time he called out Olivia Munn for being an utter moron.
Wait, link! I need to see the Olivia Munn insults!

Those last few seconds make her look like a ***** of Maddonna levels.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Congratulations Mr Jaffe you win PR screw up of the week. If the video gaming industry wants to counter the current issues it needs to get better organised and stop playing to the gallery of the hardcore gamers. The people you need to convince that games aren't a risk are just going to see some hipster launching a personal attack via twitter on someone they trust. If you want change people minds, you need to put your best suit and respectfully and forensically dissect the oppositions argument. Angry rants didn't work for the Tea Party and it isn't going to work for the gaming industry. The industry needs to sound like serious responsible people not some hipster ranting about capitalism.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Fappy said:
amaranth_dru said:
Broadcast news is a blight on journalism.

OT: Another reason to love David Jaffe. This is almost as good as the time he called out Olivia Munn for being an utter moron.
Wait, link! I need to see the Olivia Munn insults!
Best video I could find. Unfortunate quality >.>

EDIT: IIRC he basically called her an idiot after the interview, though you can tell that's what he was thinking in the video

vid87

May 17, 2010
I played and replayed the interview and compared the points made in the main article with Burnett's wording - I really don't think she was preaching "gaming makes killers" as absolute fact. At all. When she said "...it's accepted as fact..." she prefixed it with "A lot of people say...". That and her reading the senator's statement on the Norway shooter (as we covered on this site as true that he claimed gaming was his training tool - why he said could be a separate argument) leads me to believe she was reiterating other points being made about the topic and touching on a perception that is still prevalent in our society, after which she asked her guest if he can confirm it or not. Admittedly the only reason I can think for her to press on with the GTA questioning, aside from demonizing, was because the network needed to fill time and they had a clip they could show, which I agree would be good argument against 24-hour news cycle broadcasting (filling time with useless crap) but I didn't see that as trying to bully Dr. Pollack into conceding to that view. Also, did anyone find his quip at the end (6:06) about GTA or other games possibly causing "domestic violence" or making people "stand back" from fights weird?

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
I've given up on 24 hours new networks. They're just entertainment news for people that need their entrenched positions on any subject reenforced by morons like this. They wear the mantle of old school newsmen while tearing down everything those guys created for the sake of add revenue. To me CNN MSNBC and Fox News has as much credibility as the celebrity tabloid papers that they claim to be better then.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
I gotta be honest, I'm kinda glad Jaffe is hurling the shit right back. Plenty of people have tried to be respectful and mature when discussing video games to journalists and they are either ignored or completely steamrolled. Sad to say, being "professional" hasn't gotten us very far. Putting the journalists on the spot like this is a welcome change in my eyes. And kudos to the doctor she was interviewing for sticking with his guns rather than being swayed by her constant questions and badgering.