David Jaffe Lashes Out at CNN Anchor

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Wow, I want to buy GoW just because of this speech all of a sudden. Seriously, well done Jaffe!

Must.

Resist.

Somehow...

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Personally, while I agree with Jaffe on all of his points regarding CNN and how the news media in general regards video games and the industry... I think he needs to be a slight bit more professional about it. Even if he's right and these ignorant reporters feel the need to scapegoat video games either because they're too lazy to do some real research or because they know that hating on X subject will get them views, simply yelling at them and proclaiming their idiocy does not, in fact, actually work in the professional world.

In a perfect world, it would. In a truly perfect world, we'd go into VATS and deal with them the same way we deal with people in Fallout that don't feel particularly inclined to give us the deal we want to hear. However, as they're the ones with all of the cards in this deck, we have to play along.

... Unless someone has the button to launch all the nukes, in which case I'd gladly take my chances in an atomic wasteland instead of hearing their mindless ramblings.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Tinybear said:
Well, the BBC has to thread a bit careful in the USA, because if they try to bring real journalism there, they would probably indirectly, or just directly also have to report that the US' journalistic standards are a cesspit. Imagine the outrage if a BBC journalist actually said something that in essence boiled down to "maybe now these dumb-ass americans can understand that automatic firearms do not belong in the hands of civilians?" Followed of course up with "Oh dear, they're blaming it on games again, how stupid are they?".

It's politics. Britain saw how France became the enemy just for saying "What the fuck kinda dumb idea is it to invade Iraq?", and realized that america is crazy. You don't ever let a crazy person know you think they're crazy, unless you want to die.
I have to ask, are you trying to get a rage induced response? Because you certainly seem to be poking people with a stick and going "Neener neener!"

If not, you might want to re-think how you post in the future, because this seems suspiciously like bait.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Quazimofo said:
Also, since when does grand-theft-auto have a points system? I only noticed a money counter, but not points. Though to be fair, I never played the games a whole lot. Saints Row 3 won me over.
Well, to be frank, it did have a points system. Sure you had to go to statistics and search for overall points (which also dettermiend your level of "Criminalness") and it had abosolutely 0 inpact of the game. but there were points. and killing anyone (hooker included) would give you some.

Dumoras

May 15, 2012
so as to remove all possible triggers for mentally unstable people we should stop use of video games, movies, tv, radio, books, paintings, art and the spoken word.

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
They have Piers Morgan, an intellectually dishonest twat with the charisma of a Ku Klux Klan rally and the reasoning power of Rush Limbaugh.
Well what with so much shit coming to the UK from the USA, it was only fair we sent some their way for a change! I have to love your summing up of him though - very funny and very true!

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
amaranth_dru said:
Folks please note: This is CNN not FOX news reporting this garbage. A good sign that major media outlets care less about truth in journalism and more about inciting flame wars. In other words, ALL news channels are troll-bait and untrustworthy.
Wow, I've never actually sat down to watch an American news program, but holy cow, you could practically taste the bias there, I don't claim that the UK's news programs are unbiased (that would be impossible) but at least they make a show of separating the facts and opinions, so you can tell what's going on and where the differing opinion lies. That ridiculous opening segment about speculative job loss at gun manufacturers was just breathtakingly overt... propaganda for lack of a better word.
I'd go mad if all the news outlets in the U.K. were like that.

IKWerewolf

Jan 13, 2011
WWmelb said:
Signa said:
amaranth_dru said:
Folks please note: This is CNN not FOX news reporting this garbage. A good sign that major media outlets care less about truth in journalism and more about inciting flame wars. In other words, ALL news channels are troll-bait and untrustworthy.
In a twist of irony:
It's like pigs are flying.
I uh.. what?

I've never seen this debate broadcast like this, and with this level of maturity ANYWHERE...

Kudos to this program, and kudos to Adam Sessler.
(now passed out on the floor in shock)

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
Military shooters present the US military as heroes who export freedom and justice all around the world. So you haven't technically become killers, but you are certainly cheering for them.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
xdiesp said:
Military shooters present the US military as heroes who export freedom and justice all around the world. So you haven't technically become killers, but you are certainly cheering for them.
You should play Spec Ops: The Line. Really does a good job destroying that trope.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Erin Burnett is the worst. Look up her coverage of Occupy Wall Street. I don't care what you think about Occupy Wall Street (I think they're a few people who have no idea how to make a few, really good points surrounded by a huge number of idiots who want to slack of, smoke pot, and smell bad), her treatment of it cannot be honestly called "journalism".

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
xdiesp said:
Yes, because the United States is unique in the world and unique in history in venerating members of their armed forces. Good point.