Davy Jones Joins Total Recall Remake

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I loved the original. I was alright with a remake, especially given their choice of actor... but NO MARS? What the hell! That's what made Total Recall a freakin' classic!

Now the remake is just gonna be made out to be some crappy allegory of modern politics.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
HankMan said:
Remaking Total Recall WITHOUT Mars?
<spoiler= That's like a Greek man after turning 53>
Doesn't work!
how can it even be called total recall if its plot characters and setting are different its just another sci fi movie that wants to cash in on a name.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
thats terrible. no arnie in it, no mars??? this movie is going to suck big time. even when miss biel and beckinsale are in it. hollywood must run out of ideas that they want to remake a action movie like this.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
You know what, I'm actually okay with this. Bill Nighy is cool and everything, but what they really got me was Bryan Cranston. I feel like not enough people here have seen him on Breaking Bad. The dude is a freaking amazing actor, and on the plus side, he won't be playing Michael Ironside's character, so just imagine them BOTH being in this movie. Yea, I know it probably won't happen, but that would just be so many levels of cool I can't even imagine.

And I am perfectly fine with Arnie not being in this movie.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
WHY. Why would you remake total recall? WHY.

It's the silliest serious action movie of all time. Why do you need to remake it? To make it sillier? To make it more serious? Neither is neccessary! ITS TOTAL RECALL! What needs to be changed? Nothing!

BstrdChris

Feb 10, 2011
i;m sure that some of you guys are gonna be just pissed, no matter what, because the original was an awesome, basically classic action sci-fi movie from that era. buuuut, it's not a sequel. so it just bugs me when people say "call it somethin different". put it on the shelf next to the Arnold version. it's an almost direct transfer of the novel. Phillip K. Dick's novels/stories are usually great movies. i'd like to see what the "heavy source material" version gives out, alongside the 90's version...

...trivia time!

there were 12 drafts of the original,and they got turned down because David Cronenberg was under the impression that they were doing THIS movie that's being made now. he was told to stoppit and make "Raiders on Mars". dude walked. Dino DeLaurentis did the same thing, his company dropped out of producing the thing. ARNOLD bought the rights and negotiated his own salary, and hired in a bunch of cast/crew from Robocop. the guy had veto power over EVERYONE, including the producer, director, even promotions. by THAT time, the draft count was at 42, still without a comlete 3rd act to boot.

last bit.. some of the people considered for Quaid were Patrick Swayze, William Hurt, and(wait for it...) Richard Dreyfuss. Because the character in the book was THAT kind of character. Working-class laborer.

hey, one more... Minority Report was supposed to be a SEQUEL, and the clairvoyants were gonna be martian mutants. the movie we saw was reeeeal close to the themes of the story that Total Recall came from.

i'm gonna end with this... i love that damn Arnie movie. but i wanna see what it was SUPPOSED to be as well., i'll go see it. i fully expect at least one person to go batshit on me. whatever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_recall before i get burned at the stake for not giving at least one link. i know, not the most reputable source, but this is crap i read on pages that are long dead, over the years.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Can_Remember_It_for_You_Wholesale
check out the original synopsis for the book, if you like. Mars wasn't a location in the book. it was only referred to as memories, real or fake, no one ever went.

TimeComando

May 25, 2011
Disregard the title of the new movie staring Colin Farrel, and there might be a good movie here.

BUt The Original movie is great because it was the epitome of the 80 action genera, on steroids, OM MARS, With ultra violence. with a story so convoluted that I never fully remember what is happening in till the end.

Is there going to be metal poles thrust throw rubber heads, are midgets going to bite peoples dicks off then get chewed up by sub machine gun fire. is it going to make no fucking sence, is half the movie going to be shot throw a red filter. is some one going to pull gum balls out of there nose. IS there going to be Jonny CaB's. oF COURCE NOT so why don't they do me, any anyone else that watched the original a favor, and change the name.

and pleas spare us the pathetic homage by leaving out the 3 boob chick. THat was cool because it was a logical step in the first year of the 90's, for a R rated sci-fi movie. But 22 years later it would seem excessively juvenile. I would have expected we could think of something new. why not 3 legs and 2 vaginas.

TimeComando

May 25, 2011
tehweave said:
WHY. Why would you remake total recall? WHY.

It's the silliest serious action movie of all time. Why do you need to remake it? To make it sillier? To make it more serious? Neither is neccessary! ITS TOTAL RECALL! What needs to be changed? Nothing!
Exactly!

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
BstrdChris said:
i;m sure that some of you guys are gonna be just pissed, no matter what, because the original was an awesome, basically classic action sci-fi movie from that era. buuuut, it's not a sequel. so it just bugs me when people say "call it somethin different". put it on the shelf next to the Arnold version. it's an almost direct transfer of the novel. Phillip K. Dick's novels/stories are usually great movies. i'd like to see what the "heavy source material" version gives out, alongside the 90's version...

...trivia time!

there were 12 drafts of the original,and they got turned down because David Cronenberg was under the impression that they were doing THIS movie that's being made now. he was told to stoppit and make "Raiders on Mars". dude walked. Dino DeLaurentis did the same thing, his company dropped out of producing the thing. ARNOLD bought the rights and negotiated his own salary, and hired in a bunch of cast/crew from Robocop. the guy had veto power over EVERYONE, including the producer, director, even promotions. by THAT time, the draft count was at 42, still without a comlete 3rd act to boot.

last bit.. some of the people considered for Quaid were Patrick Swayze, William Hurt, and(wait for it...) Richard Dreyfuss. Because the character in the book was THAT kind of character. Working-class laborer.

hey, one more... Minority Report was supposed to be a SEQUEL, and the clairvoyants were gonna be martian mutants. the movie we saw was reeeeal close to the themes of the story that Total Recall came from.

i'm gonna end with this... i love that damn Arnie movie. but i wanna see what it was SUPPOSED to be as well., i'll go see it. i fully expect at least one person to go batshit on me. whatever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_recall before i get burned at the stake for not giving at least one link. i know, not the most reputable source, but this is crap i read on pages that are long dead, over the years.
If I find out Philip K. Dick name is anywhere on this movie I am going to have a fucking aneurysm. I love Philip K. Dick but I can't understand Hollywood's obsession with gang-raping his stories like they've been doing since the 80's. I'm lead to believe there will be an Ubik adaptation soon also. When will this shit end?

BstrdChris

Feb 10, 2011
matrix3509 said:
BstrdChris said:

...trivia time!

If I find out Philip K. Dick name is anywhere on this movie I am going to have a fucking aneurysm. I love Philip K. Dick but I can't understand Hollywood's obsession with gang-raping his stories like they've been doing since the 80's. I'm lead to believe there will be an Ubik adaptation soon also. When will this shit end?
no doubt. I wouldn't go as far as saying the movies are ALL great, just a few that didn't kill me to watch on dvd. if this somehow turns out to be decent, i don't see why his name SHOULDN'T be on it, just as a credit for writing the story. i'm just curious to see how the "stick to the novel" (for the most part) turns out.

TimeComando

May 25, 2011
ALright well then, No wonder Total Recall was a well polished convoluted mass of genera camp. There was source material and the cast of Robocop got there hands on it. Huh that kind of changes my opinion then.

I still don't feel right with the name being associated with the 90s movie, why don't they call it "Partial Recall" or "Real Call"

I lived my whole life not knowing there was a book. I mean who would have ever guessed.

BstrdChris

Feb 10, 2011
they REALLY should call it "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale"... that way they can separate it from the established movie, and bring attention to the short story for people that didn't know it was around. worst case, people just go and watch Total Recall a dozen more times. best case? maybe a walmart bonus pack with two decent movies, if the new one gets done even halfway decently. And it is an awesome short story. Mars kinda padded out the run time in Total Recall. But i WILL stick up for the original, i rarely still like any movies that i liked when i was 10.

wait, that's false. i like plenty of movies from then, just on novelty merit. THEN there's the awesome ones. most of John Carpenter's movies are on my shelf and watched at a hat's drop.

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
So they are not doing another version of the original story, but they are remaking the film. Total Recall holds a special place in my heart, it introduced me to Philip K. Dick; well that was Blade Runner, but I learned Philip K. Dick's name from the credits of Total Recall. The best I can hope for is that this film does the same to a new generation of geeks. Other than that Hollywood needs to get some original IPs.

BstrdChris

Feb 10, 2011
NaramSuen said:
So they are not doing another version of the original story, but they are remaking the film. Total Recall holds a special place in my heart, it introduced me to Philip K. Dick; well that was Blade Runner, but I learned Philip K. Dick's name from the credits of Total Recall. The best I can hope for is that this film does the same to a new generation of geeks. Other than that Hollywood needs to get some original IPs.
someone probably said, "ya know, we had some really good stuff with the first idea, let's see if we can do it now, with what's available NOWADAYS..." Minority Report isn't liked by everyone, but it did well and holds good ratings. and like i said in my text wall, it's close to the original concepts of the short story.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Eh, remake? Why make a remake out of one of the three movies Arnold was actually GOOD in?
It's a sci-fi classic, ffs.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Colin Farrell hasn't done anything significant since...never. So no surprise there.
So why is Bill Nighy in this? You'd think he would have better offers. Shit, if Hugo Weaving turned Hobbit down he would be a shoe-in for Elrond.
Everybody has their slump I guess.