DC Comics Will Soon Reveal Joker's True Name

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
DC Comics Will Soon Reveal Joker's True Name

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1303/1303790.jpgGeoff Johns will be revealing the Joker's true identity in an upcoming issue of Justice League.

DC Comics is almost ready <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/columns/speedingbullets/16847-State-of-DC-Comics-New-52>to launch its Rebirth event, a soft reboot which will resurrect many elements from the pre-New 52 universe. But it's also about to introduce new elements not all fans will enjoy - such as the Joker's secret identity.

Keeping the identity of Batman's archnemesis a secret has long been considered an essential part of his character. Even <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166220-Mark-Hamill-And-Kevin-Conroy-Reprise-Batman-and-Joker-For-Justice-League-Action#&gid=gallery_5583&pid=1>popular "origin stories" like The Killing Joke heavily imply Joker isn't quite sure where he came from, reinforcing the idea that he's a chaotic force of nature before an actual human being. That said, DC's chief creative officer Geoff Johns has slowly been laying the groundwork for Joker's identity in Justice League, which will culminate in a final reveal for Issue #50.

"The answer probably won't be an answer people predict," Johns told IGN.

Back in Justice League #42, Batman spent some time on the Moebius Chair that can access all knowledge in the universe. Of course, even he couldn't resist asking about Joker's true identity and was shocked at the result. You might even make a case that Scott Snyder's Batman series toyed in foreshadowing as well, when Batman managed to defeat Joker by threatening to reveal his real name. (Which Joker certainly didn't take well.)

[gallery=6100]

So far, the New 52 has adopted an alternate version of Joker's history from The Killing Joke - he sparked an epic crime wave across Gotham under the moniker "Red Hood" before falling into acid that exacerbated pre-existing homicidal tendencies. Yet even then, fans never knew who Red Hood was, but Batman's reaction implies it will be a familiar figure. And since Rebirth is opening the floodgates on pre-New 52 canon, Joker could be anyone from decades of DC Universe history.

Justice League #50 arrives in May 25, concluding the long-running "Darkseid War" storyline. You won't be able to miss it, given the comic book fan rage Joker's reveal will spark across the Internet.

Source: Screenrant

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
okay entertainment industry can I just say STOP REVEALING SHIT BEFORE THE STORY COMES OUT! I would love to be surprised what happened in a story but nope just tell us the twist before it even happens to get some publicity sales. just stop.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
tf2godz said:
okay entertainment industry can I just say STOP REVEALING SHIT BEFORE THE STORY COMES OUT! I would love to be surprised what happened in a story but nope just tell us the twist before it even happens to get some publicity sales. just stop.
It's done in a sad attempt to counter today's uniquely connected fan-base. Fans just can't be surprised by anything anymore because lots of websites like Reddit give fans the ability to pool information, theories, and knowledge. I agree with you completely, and every week I see shit where companies spoil the most interesting thing in an attempt to stay ahead of their fans. Wouldn't the Spidey reveal for Captain America: Civil War have been so much cooler if we had just seen it in the movie instead of them promising his appearance? It's why the creators of Rick and Morty have said they don't even really bother to hide things from their fans anymore.

OT: The Joker's identity is irrelevant. Who he is or where he comes from doesn't matter - that's why the Killing Joke was a pretty great story about the Joker; it gave us a little something, but then turned it around and said 'Nah, just fucking with you. Or am I? Who knows? Who cares!' That's the point - if the Joker really DOES exist to be an opposing force to Batman, who has an established origin and reason for why he does things, then the Joker, by nature of being that opposite, does not need one.

Citizen Graves

Jul 19, 2011
It will probably be something really stupid like Bruce Waynes long lost brother/sister/cousin/nephew/dog or whatever. Or something even stupider. I know! They'll reveal the Joker to be biblical figure and traitor to the messiah, Judas Iscariot, who went completely mental somewhere during his ca. 2000 years of guilt-ridden immortality.

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
Am I the only one who hopes the "big reveal" is just like "and the Jokers real name is Jeff... Jeff Turner..." and hes not some one we know or someone important... hes just like... a crazy guy...

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I already made this joke in another thread, but I'm becoming increasingly paranoid that the Joker's true name really is Gotham City.

Alternately, it's Hong Kong Phooey.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Citizen Graves said:
It will probably be something really stupid like Bruce Waynes long lost brother/sister/cousin/nephew/dog or whatever. Or something even stupider. I know! They'll reveal the Joker to be biblical figure and traitor to the messiah, Judas Iscariot, who went completely mental somewhere during his ca. 2000 years of guilt-ridden immortality.
They already used that origin when they revealed the true name of the Phantom Stranger.
Which was even worse than this.

GonvilleBromhead

Dec 19, 2010
Calvin Coolidge. He doesn't share the name, however. He IS former US President Calvin Coolidge.

I mean, c'mon, the clues have been there for years...

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
wizzy555 said:
Do it by internet vote. I vote for jokey-mcjoke-face
IF you do it by internet vote, he'll be one of the following:

Justin Bieber
Terry Crews
Zoe Quinn
Miley Cyrus
Barack Obama
Donald Trump
Rick Astley

OT: Think it will last any longer than "Jack" from the Michael Keaton Batman movie?

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
No mention of Jack Napier? Come on people, Joker has had a name since 1989. ;)

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Considering they have like a million alternate earths in DC continuity, why do we give a damn again? Everyone that has ever played Batman or the Joker in all media can all be cannon in their respective little spheres.

Until we see Adam West vs. Heath Ledger in a crossover event, it is getting pretty boring each time they hype a stunning revelation. They will just reboot everything in another 50 issues anyways..