DC Says One Of Its"Iconic" Heroes Is Gay

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
trollpwner said:

Seriously, it's not like it should make any difference to a well-written character. It would only make a difference if they became really 2-dimensional about it and could only go on about "OOoh, I'm gay! Oooh, I like men!" I haven't read many Marvel comics, so I've no idea how they would play this, but if done well, it should be barely noticeable. Makes you wonder why they bother making a deal about it at all. Unless they're going to go all 2-dimensional about it. (Ohgod)
Nail, you just dun got hit on the head by dis post right 'ere.

It's an obvious grab for attention. "Oh, look at us, we have a gay character. Aren't we so accepting and liberal." Fuck right off. Sexuality is as relevant as race--that is to say, NOT AT ALL.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Joke answer: Batman, Huurr hurrr he's bumming robin, huurr.

Serious answer: ...Ermmm Y'know Im kinda going to put my money with Flash... Don't know why, not any special reason, he's one of my favorite of the DC line up and I just dig the idea.

This all said, marketing ploooy, boooo. Should have made it a grand surprise instead of announcing it like this, then the internet would have done the job better and more effetively for you DC.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
Come on! Just cause Brian said Batman was gay doesn't mean you have to make him gay. And we all know who the runner up will be. Atom Man or Aqua man.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
FFS.Whenever there is a new trend they can use for publicity, they do it by raping existing "icons" rather than coming up with something original.No media is safe from this plague none i tell you.Especially videogames.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Z of the Na said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Hey, someone who agrees with me. Yay.

*hug*
Most of what you said I agree with, yeah.

Why is this such a big deal?
I have no clue.

Why does anyone care what gender or sex anyone finds attractive? For all we know, Batman is into fish and Superman likes BBW.

People have this weird thing they do where they assume everyone is straight and act like it's a big deal if they aren't. As if being hetero isn't a sexual preference, but a default. Last I checked, there is no default, because everyone is born with their sexuality already set in their brain.

Reminds me of a Star Trek thing, where some fans asked why there wen't any gay crew members onboard the ship. Reply went something like this:

Who says there wasn't? You assumed everyone was straight because we didn't have anyone prance across the screen shouting "I'm gay?"

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Well the only reason they would do this would be a shallow ploy to raise interest in a character, most likely one that isn't doing so well... yup it's Aquaman

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I doubt they'd have the balls to make it Batman, and Aquaman is already married. so in my mind, that leaves one of two options:

1: The Martian Manhunter. Because making him gay wouldn't really change anything about him at all.

or

2: They just take a C-llister and claim "What? He's iconic!"

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Furioso said:
Well the only reason they would do this would be a shallow ploy to raise interest in a character, most likely one that isn't doing so well... yup it's Aquaman
Aquaman isn't doing as bad as you think. He's at number 12 and only lost a quarter of his audience since the relaunch. Flash on the other hand has lost over half of his audience since reboot. Aquaman might be C list but the number show that what they've been doing with him lately is working.

If you want to verify the number just look here
http://www.comicsbeat.com/2012/05/09/dc-comics-month-to-month-sales-march-2012/

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
I wonder what the line is on the heroes.

Think it'd be...

10-1 for Superman
3-4 for Aquaman
8-1 for Batman
2-1 for Robin
-1000-1 for fan outrage.

dsawyers9

Aug 20, 2009
The boy scout aka Superman will finally realize what we have all been thinking off him.

But I bet it will be batman, only makes since with robin being around.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
medv4380 said:
Furioso said:
Aquaman isn't doing as bad as you think. He's at number 12 and only lost a quarter of his audience since the relaunch. Flash on the other hand has lost over half of his audience since reboot. Aquaman might be C list but the number show that what they've been doing with him lately is working.

If you want to verify the number just look here
http://www.comicsbeat.com/2012/05/09/dc-comics-month-to-month-sales-march-2012/
Really? But Aquaman seems like such a lame character... oh well, no matter who it is the fan outrage will be hilarious

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
John Funk said:
I just hope it isn't Aquaman. Making the "joke" superhero gay would feel like a pretty sleazy thing to do.
Oh, come on, you know it's gonna be Aquaman. Who else would it be?

Oct 30, 2010
If it was old-U it would obviously be Tim Drake. Now, who knows. Martian Manhunter or Wonder Woman seem like the obvious, cop-out choices.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
medv4380 said:
Bloodstain said:
I'm guessing The Green Lantern.

Still, why is DC Comics making such a huge deal out of it? Why does it even matter? This reeks of marketing. Even if one character is gay, it shouldn't matter so much that you need to announce it getting revealed.
It's always marketing. Get over it. Each and every months DC and Marvel "markets" what they are doing. It's why they sell comics. To you Monark and Hal Jordan killing everyone was "just marketing". So what. It always is. If their is a wedding they advertise. If one of them gets a new girl friend they advertise. If one of them has their girl friend cut up and put in a fridge, they advertise.
My problem isn't the marketing itself. My problem is that they deem something so incredibly irrelevant as one's sexuality worthy of being announced in advance. Weddings, deaths, etc. are far more important issues, in my opinion.
But fair enough.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Oh good, they're finally going to get back to Wonder Woman being bi-se-

John Funk said:
we know that the hero in question is male
... well shit.

Um.

I'm gonna go with the Flash.

dsawyers9 said:
The boy scout aka Superman will finally realize what we have all been thinking off him.

But I bet it will be batman, only makes since with robin being around.
I don't believe for a second that DC has the giant brass balls required to make Batman gay. I mean, I'd LOVE it if they did. Batman/Robin would be so cute! But... I just don't see DC being awesome enough for that.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Hoping it's one of the females but given how females were portrayed in the recent reboot, I don't trust comic writers and artists to do that tastefully.

Which is why I go to Mass Effect. FemShep/Liara is probably the most realistic portrayal I can think of to date.
(Not a comic, I know.)

Edit: Reading comprehension fail. Another male. Damn.