DC Says One Of Its"Iconic" Heroes Is Gay

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Totally gonna be Supes.

He and wonderwoman are gonna be girl/gayguy buddies. They'll make catty comments when the other superheores AREN'T godlike in their abilities

Jeralt2100

Jun 9, 2010
Actually, they've clarified the statement to say this: 'One of our Iconic characters, not yet introduced in the DCNU, will be revealed as homosexual.'

So it won't be any of the major heroes, they've all been introduced already in the new DCU. Interestingly enough the new phrasing does not specify 'hero' it says 'character'. So either a villain or a supporting character is also possible.

My thoughts? Either Riddler, or Jimmy Olsen.

Source: https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/statuses/204929227454300161

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Seeing as how I am Dutch, I can safely say: "and not a single fuck was given". I am pretty sure that my comic-book reading friends share that sentiment.
Seriously, it seems to be only America that keeps making a big deal out of homosexuality.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
Catwoman is probably bi.
Superman is married to Lois Lane.
Batman doesn't care about relationships.
It must be Green Lantern!

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
airrazor7 said:
What you say is true, but at the moment you're projecting real situations upon a fictional character who was created decades before the ways of our current time. If we were to assess batman/bruce according to the personality and character he has been depicted as thus far, he doesn't exactly strike me as the type of person who does things according to the "norms" of society or anyone else's standards. Separate him from the justice league and think about it. He is a vigilante. According to Gotham law, the status of vigilante is illegal. In the beginnings of batman, he was hunted down and feared by the people he sought to protect. Not exactly a person who bends to the standards of anyone else. Also, Talia isn't the only woman in the DC universe he has had a relationship with. He has also had a relationship, of sorts, with Selina Kyle/Catwoman yet those aren't the only women he has had sex with. You should check out All-Star Batman & Robin.

Also, if the type of relationships, that people pursue are not at least partially indicative of their sexuality then what is? Don't people pursue what they prefer? (Btw, I'm asking this in a serious manner, not with the intention to provoke. I've had too many people respond negatively to my questions and comments on these forums lately so I'm trying to be as polite as possible)

OT: I'm betting Superman is gay. I always thought he was gay, speaking politically correct of course.
First off, the time period Batman was created means nothing, what's important is how it's written now. They said an iconic character is gay, and most, if not all if I recall, of their characters were created decades ago before homosexuality was widely accepted.

Not everyone is black and white in their actions or beliefs. The fact that Batman has a history of going against the norm doesn't mean that some part of him is totally detached to those standards. Many people, myself included and probably you, don't agree with the norm yet still abide by them to a certain degree to avoid being singled out or chastised. The same could apply to Bruce Wayne. Perhaps he attempts to appear as a heterosexual because he grew up believing that was normal.

The fact that he's slept with numerous woman is not indicative of his heterosexuality either. It could be a means of compensating due to a fear of being gay. I had a friend who did the same thing. From my experience, people who are gay, aren't always obvious. Sometimes they're the last person you'd expect. Which is why I'm thinking Bruce Wayne is a possibility since, aside from the Robin jokes, people wouldn't expect it.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Got to be Superman, the man uses overwhelming smugness to mask the fact that he is the other way inclined.

Thats my theory anyway.

Jeralt2100

Jun 9, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
airrazor7 said:
What you say is true, but at the moment you're projecting real situations upon a fictional character who was created decades before the ways of our current time. If we were to assess batman/bruce according to the personality and character he has been depicted as thus far, he doesn't exactly strike me as the type of person who does things according to the "norms" of society or anyone else's standards. Separate him from the justice league and think about it. He is a vigilante. According to Gotham law, the status of vigilante is illegal. In the beginnings of batman, he was hunted down and feared by the people he sought to protect. Not exactly a person who bends to the standards of anyone else. Also, Talia isn't the only woman in the DC universe he has had a relationship with. He has also had a relationship, of sorts, with Selina Kyle/Catwoman yet those aren't the only women he has had sex with. You should check out All-Star Batman & Robin.

Also, if the type of relationships, that people pursue are not at least partially indicative of their sexuality then what is? Don't people pursue what they prefer? (Btw, I'm asking this in a serious manner, not with the intention to provoke. I've had too many people respond negatively to my questions and comments on these forums lately so I'm trying to be as polite as possible)

OT: I'm betting Superman is gay. I always thought he was gay, speaking politically correct of course.
First off, the time period Batman was created means nothing, what's important is how it's written now. They said an iconic character is gay, and most, if not all if I recall, of their characters were created decades ago before homosexuality was widely accepted.

Not everyone is black and white in their actions or beliefs. The fact that Batman has a history of going against the norm doesn't mean that some part of him is totally detached to those standards. Many people, myself included and probably you, don't agree with the norm yet still abide by them to a certain degree to avoid being singled out or chastised. The same could apply to Bruce Wayne. Perhaps he attempts to appear as a heterosexual because he grew up believing that was normal.

The fact that he's slept with numerous woman is not indicative of his heterosexuality either. It could be a means of compensating due to a fear of being gay. I had a friend who did the same thing. From my experience, people who are gay, aren't always obvious. Sometimes they're the last person you'd expect. Which is why I'm thinking Bruce Wayne is a possibility since, aside from the Robin jokes, people wouldn't expect it.
The writer they quoted confirmed in his twitter that it isn't Bruce, nor any character already introduced in the new DCU. All we know is it's a major character and that the character is male.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
How about Nightwing rather than Batman? Granted I haven't really read comics so all I know of him is second hand wiki-knowledge but he's got his own stuff going on in Bludhaven no? Easier to influence than the snarl of Bat-continuity.

Nantucket_v1legacy

acting on my best behaviour
Mar 6, 2012
Amethyst Wind said:
How about Nightwing rather than Batman? Granted I haven't really read comics so all I know of him is second hand wiki-knowledge but he's got his own stuff going on in Bludhaven no? Easier to influence than the snarl of Bat-continuity.
Dick Grayson sleeps with a woman nearly every other issue.
I doubt it - unless he is overcompensating.

Paularius

May 25, 2010
They just did the dc reboot with 'The new 52' a few months back now there going to start fresh with one of the characters again? Unless the gay character is part of the new 52 which narrows it down as some but not all have a relationship yet in the new 52.
My money then is on one of the green lanterns, Unless ofcourse he isnt a major character from JL.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
The fact that they're announcing this and making a big deal out of it is a sign this this is going to be very pointless, patronizing, and stupid. If they just make this character gay, then there was no real point to revealing it rather than to draw attention to themselves, and if they make this character flamboyant change his/her mannerisms, then they've just ruined a character. Would have been fine if they'd just included a gay-scene in one of the movies or something that gets the point across naturally without detracting from the character or making a big deal about it, but no, they have to make it into a huge deal. Just stupid -_-. Well, that's my take on the matter anyways.

TheFederation

Mar 29, 2011
speaking as a comic book fan, good. there aren't nearly enough gay superheroes, and i'll be glad if one of the 'iconic' ones are so comics gain a reputation for being more diverse.

now that i've been civilised, i always thought it would be wonder woman

PeterTheEater

May 7, 2008
What? A Super-queer-o?
But seriously, now people are willing to send out an gay invitation to children? Really?
I don't mind gay people, but I resent presenting it as something normal.
Before anyone declares me a homophobe: I do have some gay friends and they are just fine people & I do feel comfortable hanging out with them (they are private about it, and I respect that). However I still believe it is absolutely wrong.

PeterTheEater

May 7, 2008
Spot1990 said:
Good for you but until there's actually good reason to say it's wrong I'm glad we live in a world where we teach acceptance and tolerance.
There is substantial difference between "acceptance & tolerance" and glorifying something that is naturally wrong.
I accept & tolerate gay people. I have NOTHING AGAINST THEM. I would not mind if one slept in the same bed next to me if he (I'm male) had no misplaced feelings for me.
Once again, I hate people constantly trying to project homosexuality as a perfectly normal thing!
It is not normal. If it were, there would be a natural way to procreate between two individual of the same sex. So if you're not a snail, but rather a member of the primate order, then IT IS FU**ING NOT NORMAL.