DC Sends Clark Kent And Lois Lane To Divorce Court

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
DC Sends Clark Kent And Lois Lane To Divorce Court

OK, not really, but DC is breaking up the marriage of its most iconic couple.

The recently-announced DC Universe reboot has met with a mixture of criticism, disbelief, and controversy. Many of the problems that fans have had with the decision is over what the editorial overlords at DC are keeping as part of the canon storyline and what they're planning to axe. However, this latest reveal is surely going to anger a lot of comic readers: DC has all but officially confirmed that it'll be doing away with the marriage between Clark Kent and Lois Lane.

Speaking to NBC New York's PopcornBiz blog, DC Comics Co-Publisher Dan DiDio spoke about the future of Clark and Lois as a married couple. "Let's just say it's being reexamined," he said. "Because it's something that I think is something that is so valuable to the character's story that you really want to explore all facets of it. Not just as it exists currently."

Superman and Ms. Lane were married in 1996, and it's been one of the longest-lasting story events in DC's continuity (it even coincided with the episode when the same characters were married on ABC's show <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Lois-Clark-Adventures-Superman-Complete/dp/B00080ZG2O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308360258&sr=8-1>Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. However, the new relaunch of Action Comics by Grant Morrison and Rags Morales is apparently going to begin "a new chapter" for Superman and will "refresh some ideas that have maybe become so well known that people think they've got it all figured out." Apparently one of those well-known ideas is how Superman got married to the woman he loved from afar for over fifty years.

I never had a problem with Superman being married to Lois, and I'm not entirely sure that this part of his past needs to be retconned. On top of that, this is also a really brave (or stupid, depending on how you look at it) move for DC, since Marvel did the exact same thing with Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson in 2008 with its <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_One_More_Day>"One More Day" storyline; fans and critics still haven't forgiven the comic publisher for that decision.

Rumor has it that the marriage is being dissolved so Superman can start getting some super-powered love from Wonder Woman. If that's the case, I'm sure I'm not the only one whose mind went to a bad place when I thought about the Amazon Princess using her lasso on the Man of Steel.

Source: Comic Book Resources

Abanic

Jul 26, 2010
Am I the only one out there who hopes that DC loses a crap-ton of money in the coming years from all this juggling of classic characters? Why do you have to change a character's backstory in order to explore different facets? Doesn't DC have a line called "Elseworlds" that they use to explore these different ideas? 'Kingdom Come' and 'Superman: Red Son' were two of my favorites.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Abanic said:
Am I the only one out there who hopes that DC loses a crap-ton of money in the coming years from all this juggling of classic characters? Why do you have to change a character's backstory in order to explore different facets? Doesn't DC have a line called "Elseworlds" that they use to explore these different ideas? 'Kingdom Come' and 'Superman: Red Son' were two of my favorite.
No you are not, DC hasn't been making me the happiest of comic readers with their decisions for awhile now.

LordOfTheDance

Mar 30, 2009
So confused. I thought Batman had a relationship with Wonder Woman. Poor Batman always getting shown up by Supes.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
If it IS so that he can take up with Wonder Woman, that's a pretty clear signal that the fan-theories about this all being a temporary "Onslaught"/"House of M"-type deal (i.e. after a year or so one or more characters realizes "something's not right," this turns out to be an alternate-universe, the "real" continuity comes back, the popular stuff from the "reboot" continues on as a kind of "Ultimate DC" sub-line) were on the money. Superman/WonderWoman-as-a-couple is ALWAYS an indicator of "this-is-another-universe" in DC stories.

AsurasFinest

Oct 26, 2010
WHY????
One More Day tried this BS and look how that turned out
In fact this reboot is nonsense in of itself, but this?
Whats the point, its stupid

Does the writers think we can't enjoy a married couple as iconic as these two are?

Visulth

Jun 25, 2009
Not sure if I'm a minority or not, but I've never been a fan of Lois Lane. So, uh, quietly and in a corner away from many others
woot?

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Vigilantis said:
Abanic said:
Am I the only one out there who hopes that DC loses a crap-ton of money in the coming years from all this juggling of classic characters? Why do you have to change a character's backstory in order to explore different facets? Doesn't DC have a line called "Elseworlds" that they use to explore these different ideas? 'Kingdom Come' and 'Superman: Red Son' were two of my favorite.
No you are not, DC hasn't been making me the happiest of comic readers with their decisions for awhile now.

Could be worse. Could be OMD. I am a little confused though is this a full on Multiverse wide restart like what happened in the 80s or are they just axing certain parts of canon?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Maybe they are changing him to Souperman, he derives his powers from different kinds of soup. And since it's the heat of battle, he doesn't have time to wait for it to cook so he has to eat it raw.

Maybe it's the idea that they are a happily married couple. With divorce rates as high as they are, maybe they are thinking "If I can't have a successful marriage, then neither can Superman!". Or maybe they read the Man of Steel vs the Woman of Kleenex essay from a while back and thought "Hmm."

Did they ever explain why Flash's bones don't disintegrate from the impact force every time he punches someone at supersonic velocities?

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
LordOfTheDance said:
So confused. I thought Batman had a relationship with Wonder Woman. Poor Batman always getting shown up by Supes.
...That was Batman and Catwoman.

Vigilantis said:
Abanic said:
Two words: Amazon Attack.

"Oh god...bees"

I missed Elsewords though. Batman the pirate was freaking awesome.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
008Zulu said:
Maybe they are changing him to Souperman, he derives his powers from different kinds of soup. And since it's the heat of battle, he doesn't have time to wait for it to cook so he has to eat it raw.

Maybe it's the idea that they are a happily married couple. With divorce rates as high as they are, maybe they are thinking "If I can't have a successful marriage, then neither can Superman!". Or maybe they read the Man of Steel vs the Woman of Kleenex essay from a while back and thought "Hmm."

Did they ever explain why Flash's bones don't disintegrate from the impact force every time he punches someone at supersonic velocities?
Yeah, Speed force.

In actual Medical terms: Deus ex machina. I know when they had a crossover with Marvel, Flash is freaking useless. Steel needed to build him a battery so he could fight over at marvel side.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Sounds to me like they might just be changing on how it happened, not the fact that it happened at all. But there is still that big ol' nagging feeling that this is in fact exactly what it looks like...

Phase_9

Oct 18, 2008
A. There is no guarantee yet that they are breaking up completely. They said exploring other facets. Its possible that they just reset the relationship. It's possible that they get divorced. It's possible that they decide to be in an open marriage and invite Wonder Woman over to play. At this point, anything is possible because we don't have all the information yet, so everyone who's freaking out needs to calm down.

B. The Spider-Man storyline was so reviled because they used a terrible plot device to do it, Spider-Man made a deal with the devil.

C. No one has said anything about Wonder Woman and Superman.

D. The relaunch (not reboot, read: Some titles are getting do-overs, some are continuing, and some are getting certain aspects tweaked, not a full-on slate wiping), is not the end of the world. If it works, great, we get awesome new storylines. If it doesn't, people will vote with their wallet. And eventually, everything goes back to normal as soon as a new writer comes along and decides to change it back.

What people should be pissed about it the waste of a fantastic franchise the Green Lantern movie is. It's the same thing that happened with Transformers: An awesome premise that you'd think would be impossible to make suck was treated very poorly by Hollywood and unfortunately the creators clearly were not paying attention/made a mistake.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Abanic said:
Am I the only one out there who hopes that DC loses a crap-ton of money in the coming years from all this juggling of classic characters? Why do you have to change a character's backstory in order to explore different facets? Doesn't DC have a line called "Elseworlds" that they use to explore these different ideas? 'Kingdom Come' and 'Superman: Red Son' were two of my favorites.
I'm with you. I hope they fail completely on this. I have been an avid reader of comics for 23 years, so much so that I spent a good portion of my college writing career trying to convince my professors of the validity of comics as literature. I hate when they bail. It's the final bad decision to fix all their previous bad decisions. They can all rot for all I care.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Well, the dating game is over in metropolis city. I mean really, what the hell are you going to say when superman starts hitting on your girl? Unless you're packing kryptonite, all you can do is just stand aside, or maybe offer yourself as a fluffer to him first (dont ask me to explain what that is).