dead genres you miss.

Tips_of_Fingers

Jun 21, 2010
zealk said:
AnOriginalConcept said:
Sir, I believe you are mistaken. The games that get the most publicity are the FPSs and JRPGs because they are the most popular. Other genres of games still exist.

For example, Shadow Complex is an acclaimed 2d shooter that plays much the metroidvania games.
no sir, i think you are mistaken. if they are not publicly out there then they are dead arent they? what people dont seem to relise is if its not public, then no one is buying it, and if no one buys it, then its a failure... wich also means that if people want to see more games, they need to stop buying these ones and then complaining about how there are no games... if you buy the damn game then its your fault, if you buy it because you like it, good for you.
Saying that a genre is dead because it's "not publicy out there" is a bit silly no? It's like saying that a certain music genre is dead because it's not publicly acknowledged....Just because there is only a slow trickle of games being released under a certain genre doesn't mean that genre is dead.

As long as there are still atleast a handful of people making - and playing - games of a certain genre then that genre is alive. Not public does not mean dead.

Also, your comment that says "if no one buys it then it's a failure" is wrong too. No one is buying Facebook or the crappy games that Zynga makes and yet they're not failures at all are they?? Or to put it another way: The original Meat Boy was a massive success, and that was free.

FrasierCrane

Nov 11, 2010
Those of you who are (rightfully) bemoaning the downfall of space sims should grab your old Freespace 2 discs and head over here [http://hard-light.net/], where good-quality new campaigns and total conversions based on the Freespace 2 engine are still being turned out regularly.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Economic Management, like Tropico or Pharaoh. It's not dead yet, but it's going that way. Shame, because Pharaoh is FREAKING EPIC.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
FPSRPGS... not FPS games with RPG elements... like actual FPSRPGS that mix the two genres seamlessly...

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Like many others, I mourn the passing of the space sim genre, particulary those made by Lucasarts. I would gladly pay full price for a Tie Fighter remake with modernized graphics.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
-Real Tactical Shooters.
-Space Flight Combat
-GOOD Mecha combat games (after having watched From Software piss its Armored Core talent away, the genre has been looking more sparse than ever. Front Missoin Evolved looked like shit to boot...)

And of course, Starsiege Tribes.
Which should really be in a genre of its own; the flight/skiing mechanic is heavily emphasized and it plays VERY differently compared to any other shooter out there; the 3rd dimension actually matters for once.

Yellowbeard

Nov 2, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
-Real Tactical Shooters.
-Space Flight Combat

And of course, Starsiege Tribes.
Which should really be in a genre of its own; the flight/skiing mechanic is heavily emphasized and it plays VERY differently compared to any other shooter out there; the 3rd dimension actually matters for once.
Hell yes. Never played Starsiege, but Tribes 2 was the only pure-multiplayer game I ever got into. 64 player games, giant maps with bases, vehicles and remote turrets. It was superb until all the classic-rules servers disappeared and any given game might let you carry a full-sized plasma turret on your back...or not.

And I second the guy who brought up Freespace 2. Timeless.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Platformers if you count those.
Schmups need to make a comeback.
The search bar needs to make a comeback too.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.130880-Poll-Favorite-dead-genre#2876959

kokirisoldier

Apr 15, 2008
I'm a huge fan of Majesty, Evil Genius and dungeon keeper. Games where...I guess they are a cousin of the RTS but you cant really control what your NPC's really did you just hoped that their archetype pulled off and they did their jobs.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Yellowbeard said:
Hell yes. Never played Starsiege, but Tribes 2 was the only pure-multiplayer game I ever got into. 64 player games, giant maps with bases, vehicles and remote turrets. It was superb until all the classic-rules servers disappeared and any given game might let you carry a full-sized plasma turret on your back...or not.

And I second the guy who brought up Freespace 2. Timeless.
Ahh. I miss Freespace.
It's cool to see how a cash-in game became one of the greatest space combat games ever made.
Freespace was built on the X-Wing Alliance engine.

Taran Moltu

Oct 23, 2010
Veterinari said:
Oh yeah, I forgot all about God Games. Those are great! The thing is though, pretty much all of the ones I can think of were made by Peter Molyneux. Black and White, Dungeon Keeper, Populous... I guess he just moved on to other things.

Curse you Fable! Cuuuurse Youuuuu!
The last one to come out was Spore and I found that to be a bit of a disappointment. The dungeon keeper concept has been picked up by another studio now, I forget which, but we can only hope...

I too mourn the space sims...

jamradar

Sep 13, 2010
I think that they need to bring back FPS'S. It seems that everyone completely forgot about that genre. :p

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Space combat simulators.
Gosh damn do I miss Starfox.
Also, more mech games like armored core. it has so much potential, but it keeps getting ruined in the process.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I WANTS MAH SPACE SIMS BACK!

It's like after Freespace 2 came out everyone else just threw up their hands and went 'well this genre's been perfected, time to move on!' which while sort of true, Freespace 2 *is* nearly perfect as a space sim, that doesn't mean other devs can't try.