Dead Island: Riptide Review - Better Off Dead

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Dead Island: Riptide Review - Better Off Dead

Good ideas smothered by technical issues and bad choices.

Read Full Article

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
I'm not sure if the problem is on my end, but I'm getting a 404 when I try to check out the review.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Link's broken for me too. Shame, looking forward to seeing this game getting shat on.

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
Okay, so avoiding this one. Too bad, the first was pretty interesting.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I also got the 404, but it's working now.

OT: I wasn't really expecting this to be a great game so I'm not surprised at this review. The fact that it's chugging when too much is going on is why I think we need a new console generation. It might just be sloppy work (or both) though.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
After playing the first one, I kinda predicted such a bad score for this one. I expected more from Dead Island then Borderlands with Melee weapons and Zombies. Instead, I got a buggy mess that was horribly written, horribly scripted and horribly boring to play.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
What makes me so frustrated is I really, really loved the first one. It was one of my favorite games of that year. But this? No. Just...no.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
What makes me so frustrated is I really, really loved the first one. It was one of my favorite games of that year. But this? No. Just...no.
That really sucks to hear, as I loved co-oping the first one with some friends. Is this a straight no or a 'wait until a few patches and grab it on sale otherwise don't really bother'? Because more zombie slaughter sounds good to me, but if it's buggier than an Obsidian game tested by Bethesda with no real improvements I might sadly give this a pass.

DazZ.

Jun 4, 2009
The first game was one of the few games I didn't enjoy that I was looking forward to a sequel for, it was alright but could have been so much more which is what I hoped this would be.

Sounds like I'll be ignoring this one and trying to force my way through the first one again if I ever get an extreme need to hit zombies any time soon.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Fayathon said:
Susan Arendt said:
That really sucks to hear, as I loved co-oping the first one with some friends. Is this a straight no or a 'wait until a few patches and grab it on sale otherwise don't really bother'? Because more zombie slaughter sounds good to me, but if it's buggier than an Obsidian game tested by Bethesda with no real improvements I might sadly give this a pass.
Definitely wait. Even if they don't patch it, so long as you nab it on a good sale, you'll be happy. Playing with friends can still be a LOT of fun, but overall the game isn't nearly as good an experience as the first one.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Fayathon said:
Susan Arendt said:
Definitely wait. Even if they don't patch it, so long as you nab it on a good sale, you'll be happy. Playing with friends can still be a LOT of fun, but overall the game isn't nearly as good an experience as the first one.
Good to hear it isn't terribad, my zombie hunting buddies will be a mite disappointed, but we've got other games to tide us fortunately, jolly co-operation can wait in terms of the undead. (At least zombie undead anyways.)

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
God. fucking. Dammit.

See, first time, they spent a really fucking long time in development hell, and, shit, they're deep silver, they're hardly the biggest, most reputable company around.

All that considered, I enjoyed dead island thoroughly.

This time...no goddamn excuses. It wasn't in development hell, it barely changed from the first game, and they had a ton of feedback to work with.

The only excuse they had was releasing a little under a year and a half after the last game, and let's be honest, nobody was begging and ranting for a dead island sequal. They could have took their damn time. Fixed the issues. Tried to give a shit about the story. But no, they had to cash in.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
that it only got a written review instead of a video review plus written review like the first one speaks volumes...

i am sure the game is just a mod that was turned to a standalone game only to reek in some money. or at least it feels like it.

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
Yeeahh, I enjoyed the first one and was hoping this one would have fixed, y'know, some of the annoyances about the first one. It was a pretty solid game, but... Uggghh. Definite pass on this.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I really had zero faith that this would be good, thanks for the heads-up confirmation Susan. At least there's nothing to distract me from that 1999 run now...

Comocat

May 24, 2012
I loved the first game and was secretly hoping they would fix some of the issues and make the greatest game ever. I feel like a well done zombie RPG would be like printing money so why can't anyone do it right?!? I appreciate the review and suppose I'll wait until the price drop on this one.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
rhizhim said:
that it only got a written review instead of a video review plus written review like the first one speaks volumes...

i am sure the game is just a mod that was turned to a standalone game only to reek in some money. or at least it feels like it.
Actually, that was just a factor of me wanting as much time as possible with the game to make sure that it had the issues I thought it had. If you play a game on a certain day and have a bad time, that might not be the game's fault, per se. But I played all weekend long and just got angrier and angrier as I went.

So...well, I guess it does speak volumes, but perhaps not quite in the way you might mean.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Assassin Xaero said:
Do the weapons still degrade completely after about half a dozen hits like they did in the first?
Depends on their durability and whether or not you've chosen the perks that extend their lifespan. I never really had a problem, but then I'm also hyper aware of fixing them whenever I get near a workbench.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
I had a bad feeling about this game when i saw it was starting out at 40 dollars instead of the usual 60 dollars for new games. it sounds like this is a expansion turned sequel much like SR4 is which is too bad it looks like deep silver was counting on fan loyalty and some gimmicks to sell this one.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
The original dead island trailer had everyone so excited about a new type of videogame that could rival resident evil and now it seems it's just doing a death spiral.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Guess who pre-ordered this game on Steam?
<---
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Hope they patch most of the bugs.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
<---
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Can't you just cancel your pre-order?

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
RejjeN said:
Xan Krieger said:
<---
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Can't you just cancel your pre-order?
I don't think that's possible, especially as I've already given the pre-order bonus (a copy of Dead Island Game of the Year edition) to a friend.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
meh, paying off my preorder before work in an hour or so for the PS3 version.

I played the first one before any patches and most of the issues complained about here are "Waaaahhhh its tooooo harrrddd!!!" which were, frankly, issues the first one had too. And I had a blast with it and have few doubts about me enjoying this game too.

MissP

Feb 6, 2013
Dang, really disappointed to hear this. I also really enjoyed coop in the first Dead Island (despite its flaws) and was looking forward to more of the same, at least. A friend already gifted it to me, so hopefully there will be some enjoyment to be had here. If I pick up alcohol and it STILL replaces the weapon in my hands though, I'm gonna be all :mad:

That reminds me, I also still have the pre-order bonus copy of Dead Island GOTY in my Steam inventory. If anyone's interested, send me a PM and the first one I see gets it.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Honestly, I was expecting more of the same from this game. I'd be fine with that as I really enjoyed the first. This review saddens me but not enough to not buy the game. I'll definitely wait for a juicy Steam sale though.

Timzilla

Mar 26, 2010
Hmm, so this game is a...

*puts on sunglasses*

Dogs Breakfast?

Sorry, I've been waiting to use that one since they played that freakin add before every Youtube video.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Like with the original Dead Island, I'll pick this up once the modding community has gotten its hands on it and made some awesome stuff.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
and thats all i needed to hear right there i liked exploring the island. if they had of gone more open world and had a collecting supplies and building a stronghold it would of been my perfect game. guess ill wait for dead state

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Man, I am now very disappoint.

The first one reminds me of Alpha Protocol: An excellent game if you're willing to overlook a lot of stuff...

This has so much potential and it's just getting thrown away. If anyone needs me, I'll be over here having a sad.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Kroxile said:
meh, paying off my preorder before work in an hour or so for the PS3 version.

I played the first one before any patches and most of the issues complained about here are "Waaaahhhh its tooooo harrrddd!!!" which were, frankly, issues the first one had too. And I had a blast with it and have few doubts about me enjoying this game too.
So, complaining about the copious bugs, the bad story, and the repetitious design is me saying the game is "too hard"? Yeah, ok, sure.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:
Like with the original Dead Island, I'll pick this up once the modding community has gotten its hands on it and made some awesome stuff.
Dead Island mods? Any I should look for? I didn't even know mods existed for the game.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
<---
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

hahaha, I lol-ed

but seriously though dammit >_>

was somewhat looking forward to this one..

after seeing multiple reviews this game is totally hopeless =_=

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Dead Island mods? Any I should look for? I didn't even know mods existed for the game.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/02/the-10-best-dead-island-mods/

here you go :)

I haven't been able to try these yet, been too busy with school and work but the crysis one looks really badass

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
I'm not too surprised, bought GOTY Edition of the first one for $20, was good for about 20 hours then I got bored, barely made it halfway through the second chapter. It's a shame though, they could have done something really emotional and fresh with this series.

SteveoTheBeveo

Oct 9, 2012
I was not the least bit surprised by this game being bad. Just based on the idea that Dead Island's game-play was repetitive and got boring after awhile made the game pointless to me, but this game was shoving so many commercials to promote it that I decided to buy adblock for f**king once so I don't need to worry about that crap anymore. I'm just saying that this game was bad from the trailers alone for me and I no longer trust trailer sunless they show actually gameplay, and this one looked no different from its predecessor which sad because the ideas are good, the execution is just s**t.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Having played it for about 2 and a half hours it's more of the same Dead Island experience though with a few more bugs. In the first chapter I encountered one so bad I ended up in a part of the level you should never be in and had to load my last save. Also the new character has a special attack which is buggy as hell.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Well I guess that sticking to my strategy of "Assume game is shit until reviews prove otherwise" seems to have saved me from buying yet another crappy game.

I do make exceptions occasionally but that's after I get to know that a publisher will not put needless MMO into their games and the game itself will actually be good. So far my exception list is: Valve, Telltale

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Honestly.....I can't believe they got the go-ahead to make another one of these abominations.

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
What were people expecting? Deep Silver were obviously going to put a minimum of effort into the sequel. Same engine, same characters, same tropical setting. I'd be willing to bet that Riptide even has the same bugs and technical slip-ups.

The first Dead Island was fun enough for all of its limitations, but playing that game should have told you everything you need to know about the developers' intentions for the second one.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Darks63 said:
I had a bad feeling about this game when i saw it was starting out at 40 dollars instead of the usual 60 dollars for new games. it sounds like this is a expansion turned sequel much like SR4 is which is too bad it looks like deep silver was counting on fan loyalty and some gimmicks to sell this one.
Oh come on, if they'd released it for $60 you'd have people ranting about paying "full price for a glorified mission pack". Seems like publishers literally can't win sometimes...

As a fairly late adopter of the 360 version of the first Dead Island game I have to say I never really saw any of this "buggy mess" people rave about so much. Seemed fine to me. The gameplay criticisms, yeah, those were all fair.

Did the reviewer not play much of the original game? The "blueberry" whiteboard featured several times in there, too.

Sounds like Riptide is going on my "buy preowned in a year's time" list. Just quickly, is is pretty much the same game? Same mechanics, same skill tree, same 4 characters, same controls?

Also, did anybody play the Ryder White DLC for the first game? Is it any good?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Batou667 said:
Darks63 said:
Oh come on, if they'd released it for $60 you'd have people ranting about paying "full price for a glorified mission pack". Seems like publishers literally can't win sometimes...

As a fairly late adopter of the 360 version of the first Dead Island game I have to say I never really saw any of this "buggy mess" people rave about so much. Seemed fine to me. The gameplay criticisms, yeah, those were all fair.

Did the reviewer not play much of the original game? The "blueberry" whiteboard featured several times in there, too.

Sounds like Riptide is going on my "buy preowned in a year's time" list. Just quickly, is is pretty much the same game? Same mechanics, same skill tree, same 4 characters, same controls?

The reviewer played the entire first game. There were graphical shortcuts there, too, which I noted, but they're even more evident in Riptide. The first Dead Island was more enjoyable, so it was easier to overlook its shortcomings.

Also, I answered your questions in the review - yes, it's the same game. Same characters, same mechanics, same mods, same gameplay. A few new elements, but none that add in any significant way.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
The reviewer played the entire first game. There were graphical shortcuts there, too, which I noted, but they're even more evident in Riptide. The first Dead Island was more enjoyable, so it was easier to overlook its shortcomings.

Also, I answered your questions in the review - yes, it's the same game. Same characters, same mechanics, same mods, same gameplay. A few new elements, but none that add in any significant way.
Sounds... mediocre. I won't rush to get this one. Thanks.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
Susan Arendt said:
rhizhim said:

Actually, that was just a factor of me wanting as much time as possible with the game to make sure that it had the issues I thought it had. If you play a game on a certain day and have a bad time, that might not be the game's fault, per se. But I played all weekend long and just got angrier and angrier as I went.

So...well, I guess it does speak volumes, but perhaps not quite in the way you might mean.
Man do I know what you mean -- I had the same thing when playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown for my blog review. At first I started experiencing some bugs, even a mission breaking one that forced me to restart the game. I started to get worried, considering I only got it around Bioshock Infinite's release as a pre-order bonus, figuring Firaxis would have found bugs like this, but kept patiently trying to see if it would even out.

It didn't. It got WORSE. It actually stopped saving my games, whether autosaves, quicksaves, or manual saves. Texture glitches. Missions glitches. AI freezing up and lagging, camera and UI issues... I'm kind of surprised at myself that I'm still trying to beat the game. I'm sorry to hear it was probably even more disappointing for you than XCOM:EU was for me.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Batou667 said:
The Ryder white dlc is crap there is no leveling up so no skill tree nor is there any custom weapons.It also very linear not that the original game is super open world but it allows some freedom of exploration.

KhaoticOne

Apr 29, 2010
Welp i knew this game was gonna be bad. I dont really see any sign of improvement or admission of fan feedback from all the videos i seen.

Nothing entirely wrong with more of the same, except when its more of the same broken frame.

Will pick up with a friend on sale, if that.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Ever since Farcry [1] I have been willing to give a pass to just about any game with a tropical setting*. This falls neatly into that category, as did the first Dead Island, which I would otherwise have been much harder on. I'm also fine with cliche zombie scenarios. I still go to the theater for each new Resident Evil movie. I've just arrived at the first island in DI:Riptide, but everything's been great and it's looking to be a solid 7/10 experience if nothing else.

*(Ironically this is the only reason I will tolerate FarCry3).

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Xan Krieger said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Behold, the "Make Dead Island a good game" mod.

Tanner The Monotone

I'm Tired. What else is new?
Aug 25, 2010
As people don't care about facebook comments, I shall post what I said here:

Alright, now that I've played it I can give a simple opinion. It's more of the same. It really is just one massive dlc.

But this is to be expected. A lot of game developers are making these quick games before the console generation ends to gain some quick money and remind people of their existence. The new Gears of War game is just that. I have a feeling the next Assassin's creed will be one too.

For this reason, none of what you pointed out surprises me.

KhaoticOne

Apr 29, 2010
Anybody get the FOV headaches?

I cant play the first one game (thank god for the helper) for more than 20 minutes without feeling it and then im out for most of the day. Supposedly you can change the INI files to portray a different FOV but by doing that will mess up gunplay can anybody confirm?