Dead Space 2 Creative Director Denies Mocking Scientology

csbears

Feb 28, 2010
I always thought of it as "What if a bunch of crazy religious fanatics crossed paths with a bunch of genetically mutating space zombies?" type deal...They think Altman ( Insert a god here ) is coming to deliver them to their "Rebirth" when in fact they are eagerly awaiting a trap. In all of the things related to Dead Space you can see Unitoligy is mostly corrupt, it focuses too heavily on ascendancy ( their deaths ), and are too willing to kill / be killed for what they think is right. What they keep quiet about what most religions teach is stuff like "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself" and a general peace of mind, which is something a religion is supposed to give to somebody.

I don't live in an area around any Scientologists and I played Dead Space 1,2, and all other related material unbiased and when I seen this thread I thought...man that sounds eerily familiar. I don't believe in coincidence and there are too many things that add up here...Visceral is smart enough to cover their asses from that fake religion, unless they ~want~ to get thrown under the bus. Remember the South Park 200th episode "Hey Stan, is that Tom Cruise?" "Oh wow, It is! hey guys check it out Tom Cruise is a fudge packer!"...SUED.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
I have to admit that my first thought concerning Unitology was the Scientology comparison but this was because of the name. After that i even made the Carl Sagan connection myself, since i was reading the book at the time

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Kroxile said:
Vault Citizen said:
Kroxile said:
Xzi said:
Cheeseman Muncher said:
Scientology =/= religion. Anything that requires you to spend vast sums of money to move up and learn more is nothing more than a scam.
Have you heard of Mormonism? Just checking.
I am a mormon. Where are you going with this? From where I stand it looks like a dead end.
I saw a video that claimed it described what Mormons believed in, would you mind taking a look and telling me if this is what you as a Mormon do believe in?

lol, no. Its pretty much just like being protestant (mormon convert here) except that we got the whole Joseph Smith thing.
This really isn't the place for a religious debate, I'd suggest PMing this back and forth.

After years in a religious thread, this is how the debate will go. The above will contest that Mormonism is silly, you will disagree due to your pick-and-choose version of the religion, the above will toss out the literal verses that show it's silly, you'll use apologetics, the above will say you use apologetics, you'll deny using apologetics, then the mean will start. Goes the same with every religious debate, really.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
Cliff_m85 said:
Kroxile said:
Vault Citizen said:
Kroxile said:
Xzi said:
Cheeseman Muncher said:
Scientology =/= religion. Anything that requires you to spend vast sums of money to move up and learn more is nothing more than a scam.
I am a mormon. Where are you going with this? From where I stand it looks like a dead end.
I saw a video that claimed it described what Mormons believed in, would you mind taking a look and telling me if this is what you as a Mormon do believe in?

lol, no. Its pretty much just like being protestant (mormon convert here) except that we got the whole Joseph Smith thing.
This really isn't the place for a religious debate, I'd suggest PMing this back and forth.

After years in a religious thread, this is how the debate will go. The above will contest that Mormonism is silly, you will disagree due to your pick-and-choose version of the religion, the above will toss out the literal verses that show it's silly, you'll use apologetics, the above will say you use apologetics, you'll deny using apologetics, then the mean will start. Goes the same with every religious debate, really.
The dude asked a question and I answered him. No intention of debating anything. I see that you're just trying to preempt a shitstorm but its not going to devolve into that.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Cheeseman Muncher said:
Have you heard of graduate school D:

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
I liked this story. But it's a shame. Scientology ought to be mocked at every availability, and this was a golden opportunity missed. Damn that whole PR thing!

Thirsk

Jan 18, 2009
Nick Holmgren said:
Xzi said:
daemon37 said:
Xzi said:
Cheeseman Muncher said:
[cough] catholicism [cough]
We can probably all just agree that 99% of involvement in any religion entails getting suckered out of your money.
yeah, scientology == just another religion, it just happens they are the only evil and sci-fi themed one (unless some new Zealand folk are on the dark side)
Oi! What's with us zealanders now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zealand

That's where I live! We ain't evil. Honest.

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
LightspeedJack said:
I call shenanigans on this one. This is just Visceral trying to cover their ass from any potential lawsuits/corperate sabotage from those wacky scientologists.
Can you really blame them? If you take away the ammo box before they can get too it, then you've saved yourself alot of trouble.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
robandall said:
With no hint that unitology requires financial payments to get involved it can't be a direct reference to Scientology. It would have been wet your pants hysterical if Altman was modelled after Tom Cruise though!
Actually, there is. In Dead Space 2 while you are running around the Unitology Headquarters you can find a textlog detailing a "prospective member" where the final note about the person is that he is too independent and too critical minded to be a potential member and that he probably won't stick around once he is told about the admission fee to become a full member of the Unitologists.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
wait a second, so in my mind i was certain that Dead Space 2 was taking a jab at scientology (including paying to get in) and i was WRONG!

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
hansari said:
Cheeseman Muncher said:
Have you heard of graduate school D:
HAHAHAHA

For those claiming Scientology isn't a religion, by definition it is. It may seem stupid, but I think Christianity is too.
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

There are more definitions, but I didn't want to make a massive post.

LiudvikasT

Jan 21, 2011
Scientology = unitology, no doubt about it. Creators just don't want to get sued, but we all know that this is exactly what they intended. Wussy move though, they should stand by what they believe - scientology is a giant scam.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
"that people make they encounter"

OP typo.

Of all religions of similar or larger size scientology is probably one of the more harmless ones. Sure, they swindle people out of their money, but they don't seem prone to violence unlike some other, larger cults. Also I'm sure it's a really useful organization for rich people since donations aren't taxed, and they can use the church as a bank of sorts.

Sure, their believes are silly, but let's say scientology survives a few hundred years (maybe less). Once the book is old enough all the silly bits will be reinterpreted as 'imagery, meant to be interpreted' and questioning the actual content of the book will be met with ridicule. Similar to for example the bible today.

Still, if being religious helps relieve stress brought on by insecurities I don't really mind. No reason to be terribly unhappy if it can be avoided that easily.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Scientology is such an obvious bag of bullshit, it's hilarious. Makes me wonder what the fuck is wrong with all of it's cult followers...morons.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
lol
until there are the first suicide bomb attacks by scientologist and then everybody will think twice about offending them
you know like this other religion

i personally have absolutely nothing against scientology
people can do what they want in their free time(and it's not like they are the only people wasting their money on shit)
scientology is no more or less moronic than any other religion

atheism hooooooooooo

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Scientology is all about preserving it's good name to it's own people only, which is why low ranking members of the church are only allowed limited internet access in their daily lives (yes, Scientology integrates itself very heavily in their follower's lives). Because Scientology is so driven by the money it scams from people and celebrities in order to become high ranking members, the church has access to some of the best damn lawyers you've ever seen in a court to be unleashed as they see fit. There have been far too many cases over the years in which journalists have lost everything for their outcries of injustice and fraud. They do it so quick and efficiently it stays under the radar like fucking litigation assassination.

I don't blame Bagwell for denying the obvious parody of Scientology they created in Dead Space 2 when you have the lawyers from hell on your heels.

Firehound

is a trap!
Nov 22, 2010
You guys forgot having to pay to get the truth.

Dead space, search your feelings, you know it to be true.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Xzi said:
daemon37 said:
Xzi said:
Cheeseman Muncher said:
[cough] catholicism [cough]
We can probably all just agree that 99% of involvement in any religion entails getting suckered out of your money.
You're heavily misinformed.

Scientology requires you to pay what is to be thousands upon thousands of dollars in order to attain higher ranks and progress in their church. You're also leaving out the restricted access to any media (internet, news) in the outside world with their replacement of constant church-approved propaganda.

No other religion does that. When people hear these descriptions, anyone would scream cult. Scientology isn't a religion.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I think the truth is that he secretly is making a commentary on Scientology; but with Scientology's track record on suing everyone showing their "religion" in a bad light, he can't admit it openly.