Dead Space 3 Dev: The Last Thing We Think About is Money

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
What I gathered from this statement:

"The development team doesn't think about monetising the game. The management however..."

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
Trishbot said:
CorvusFerreum said:
snap
Well first of all: It's not only aboput the DLC. It's the fact that this game features in-game purchases AND pricey day-one DLC AS WELL AS online passes WHiLE beeig a full priced game. And what drives me nuts is the way the try to spin this. It's one thing when people try to milk you. It is another thing if they insult your intellect and straight up lie to you about the reasons.

Concerning the PC port: I'm sick of people thinking PC gamers should be gratefull for beeing able to purchase products. I don't really care about Dead Space. But when people bring a game to a plattform they have at least to do something to provide people using this plattform a worthwhile experience.
They won't even provide 1080p texture options. This is ridiculous considering texture assets are created at much higher resolutions and are downscaled to 720p for consoles. Providing a 1080p option would cause them next to no additional work. But they refuse to by justifying it with the pseudo-argument "all plattforms should have the same experience." No, they shouldn't. People choose different plattforms for different reasons.
They port it because they expect to gain money out of the PC market. THere's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But if they expect to do so while basicly flipping the finger to that market they deserve to be called out on that.

The reasons why Visceral acts this way is clear: Because of EAs bloated marketing bullshit DS3 needs to sell 5 million copies or raise an equal amound of money, so EA allowes the series to live on. It's allways said to see a franchise wich seems to be good go to ruin, but this does not justify trying to milk consumers and beeing a total ponce while doing it.

CriticalMiss said:
"Money is the last thing we think about"
I'm actually suprised that this bloke took the bullet for EA, the gaming community would have happily pointed the finger at the publisher and they would have gotten away with it. Now we know it's the devs who put in the stupid cash grabbing they'll probably lose a few fans and lose some sales. But that's ok, because money is the last thing that concerns them so the sales figures aren't important either.
Well, they sort of need to do this because DS3 has to get massive turn ins due to the requirements EA has put on Visceral. I presume they are up to their necks because of this. So no reason for no EA bashing ;)
But as said: Visceral deserves their pounding too.

godgravity

Aug 20, 2012
bazaalmon said:
"EA leaves us alone. Almost every decision when it comes to the game is ours and ours alone,"
I'll probably get dead space 3 at a steam sale or something. Oh wait. EA doesn't believe in sales!
OT: I'll probably not buy anything.
Correction: EA doesn't believe in STEAM. No? I mean.. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen an EA title readily-available-at-launch since Origins. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I *did* check for DS3 on Steam.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
I swear half the hate leveled at EA comes from their actual shady and shit business practices, and the rest comes from devs and marketing people flapping their gums.

Seriously they say the dumbest shit and expect to just fly on by without anyone raising an eyebrow?

Reminds me of Command and Conquer Generals 2.

EA: We want to know what made command and conquer great, we want to deliver an awesome game that captures that old feeling and gives gamers an amazing experience.

Gamers: Single Player campaign! We want awesome single player missions and a good story from Bioware Victory! Yay!

EA: Command and Conquer Generals 2 will not have a single player mode at all, and will be free to play.

Gamers: Rage! we just told you what we wanted when YOU asked us. What is this?! Why don't you listen?

EA: We know whats going on here, we get it. Its just cool and trendy to hate on EA because we're big and successful and blah blah

Gamers: RAGE RAGE RAGE yeah EA, we like to hate on you cuz its cool, not because you don't listen...

Wharrgarble

Jun 22, 2010
I like the idea of EA breathing down their collective necks while they say this.

It's just so hilarious.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
godgravity said:
bazaalmon said:
"EA leaves us alone. Almost every decision when it comes to the game is ours and ours alone,"
I'll probably get dead space 3 at a steam sale or something. Oh wait. EA doesn't believe in sales!
OT: I'll probably not buy anything.
Correction: EA doesn't believe in STEAM. No? I mean.. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen an EA title readily-available-at-launch since Origins. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I *did* check for DS3 on Steam.
It's both actually.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117725-Origin-Boss-Says-Steam-Sales-Cheapen-Intellectual-Property

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Wharrgarble said:
I like the idea of EA breathing down their collective necks while they say this.

It's just so hilarious.
I have the image of John Riccitiello lying in bed with the developer typing this naked covered in hundred dollar bills. The developer, holding a laptop, says " John, there's no way people will believe this. I can't say we think this, it'll be horrible PR". John then takes one of the hundred dollar bills and uses it to gently stop the developer from talking, then in a seductive voice says "do it".

Yeah i will not believe that EA did not have something to do with this. Even if it isn't direct, the EA mindset has a way of seeping into the developers.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
The developers might, not sure if they were paid by EA to do so, however. I'm taking this with massive piles of salt, considering the "BROADER APPEAL!" EA has with Dead Space at this point.

Curtis Stevens

Jan 31, 2013
Well considering that before any news of deadspace 3 was out EA said they would no longer be making any form of purely "singleplayer" games anymore (I could be wrong and just heard about deadspace 3's co-op later than everyone else though so correct me if im wrong) then I hear that deadspace 3 is co-op and I think.... well they have you in their pocket there Visceral. Deadspace 1 actually made me scared at points where I wanted to put down the controller because I was scared. It made me put down the game for a whole day at that one point where there is that machine room or whatever, anyways really unnerving and i just put it down for a day. Went back to it the next day and there was nothing in the friggin room.... then i was like awww deadspace 2? EPIC i'm ready to be scared. I never once had the feeling of putting the controller down in it, nor do i get the feeling I will want to put the controller down for the third. Deadspace is to "actiony" now for it's own good now that it has co-op. What if Im playing with a friend and he keeps going while Im looking for loot or items to help us survive? and I miss something even mildly scary? It wouldn't be to bad if it was split screen maybe because then i could just look down or up whoever is on either screen, but since it's only online co-op me and my buddy Austin are going to have to buy two fucking copies of it and a new xbox AND another fucking tv, along with another XBL membership to boot. Saying this isn't a cash grab is like saying cancer is a good thing. Complete and total lie.

Rubashov

Jun 23, 2010
"The last thing we think about is monetization! Of course, it's also the first thing we think about..."

Curtis Stevens

Jan 31, 2013
I apologize if I ranted a bit there, but it seems to sum up my views of this series. Slowly going down the tubes along with so many other thing's that just seems to be cash grabs. Mind you I am still going to buy this game and look forward to playing it.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Ok, that is absolutely a lie.

I personally don't care about micro transactions because they are optional, it's single player, the game will simply be more accessible to a wider audience. If someone wants a survival horror experience; play on the hardest difficulty, turn down the gamma, play in a dark room with headphones on and don't buy extra guns, but rather scavenge everything.

But don't tell everyone your company doesn't think about money until after everything else, you fucking lying piece of shit.

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
Yeah, everything I hear about this game makes me want it less. I liked Dead Space. I REALLY liked Dead Space 2. This one is going further away from the (already thin) horror bit, is a completely shameless cash grab (full priced, tacked-on multiplayer, and pay-to-win DLC in the SINGLE-PLAYER mode??) Wow. Also, I loathe Origin, and I only ever use it for BF3, because I didn't know it was a requirement when I bought it. If I did, I would have either not bought it, or got it on console. Also a large reason why I haven't bought any EA game for PC since Origin started (except for BF3), even though the PC is my main platform. Steam is a better software, they have better business practices, and they understand that digital prices should be lower than physical media prices.

Anyone know if this will be available for Steam, or if it's Origin exclusive? Or, heaven forbid, one of those dual-DRM things like From Dust, which forces you to use Uplay (which is even worse than Origin, from what I've seen so far), even though you bought it in Steam.

Anyway, unless they make some changes, I'll not be buying this to contribute to their five million required sales. Will I be sad to see the IP disappear? At this rate, no, not at all. And if it fails, and hopefully (though not likely) teaches EA a lesson in business, all the better.

Apr 5, 2008
How is this any different to the weapon DLC packs from the first two games? Call it DLC or call it microtransactions, it's the same thing. I actually bought a couple of those and didn't much mind it. Of course that was before Microsoft alowed hackers to get away with stealing £150 from me and my promise to never use Live again as a result.

Anyway, while I have no problem agreeing that EA is run by Satan, has shitty business practices and makes shitty mass-market entertainment products inlieu of actual decent games, this issue isn't something to shout about. It's no different from any DLC weapon or armour packs found on Live for many games.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
You know, if this was just about the game itself, I might have believed them, seeing how EA is really sticking them between a rock and a hard place with the 5 million sales thing.
But it's the freaking microtransactions that kill that trust for me.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
"We're trying to find ways to make sure that Dead Space 3 is really accessible. That doesn't mean we're going to sacrifice who we are or what the core tenets of Dead Space are in order to attract new players. Dead Space 3 shares the exact same DNA as Dead Space 1 and Dead Space 2."
You know what? Forget the microtransactions for the moment. This, right here, is the really infuriating part, when all I could think of while watching the story trailer was that, if I just closed my eyes and listened to the audio, I would have never been able to guess this was a Dead Space game at all had the Marker and "make us whole" not been mentioned once each. Guys, you already admitted you actionized a franchise that used to attempt to be horrific so that you could reach a broader audience. At least I could ignore the microtransactions if I was actually remotely interested enough in your homogenized product to shell out $60 for it, but thanks to the myriad of ways in which your corporate greed has marred your own creation, you lost all my interest as soon as that first, awful trailer debuted. Don't water down an already-unscary horror game almost to the point of unrecognizability, hold the whole franchise for ransom with a ludicrous goal of five million sales, then lie to my face by claiming you're not compromising what people liked about the preceding games for the sake of more money. Enough is enough. As of now, I sincerely hope this game crashes and burns.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
People are devoting way too much attention and being way too hurt by this. Don't buy it, how cares. It's not a competitive game. If someone want to drop the money to make the game easier, it's not ruining my experience. I think it's idiotic when the developer responds to this kind of stuff. His argument is by default delegitimized because he is coming from the factual stand point of, "this is happening", in response to the opinion, "this is stupid".

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Baresark said:
People are devoting way too much attention and being way too hurt by this. Don't buy it, how cares. It's not a competitive game. If someone want to drop the money to make the game easier, it's not ruining my experience. I think it's idiotic when the developer responds to this kind of stuff. His argument is by default delegitimized because he is coming from the factual stand point of, "this is happening", in response to the opinion, "this is stupid".
I don't think anyone is being hurt by this, EA's hurt enough people as it is. The only reason people are commenting on it is because it is as you say: "stupid." As is the flat out denial of EA's involvement in their design decisions, I mean Dead Space 1 and 2 weren't good horror games (fine sci-fi shooting games though) but at least they were trying to be.

Gormech

May 10, 2012
No wait, he might actually be telling the truth. The shareholders could be selling against themselves and making a fortune as the company slowly kills itself, leaving them to run for the hills with their cash while the workers all lose that paycheck. Edit: And by truth I mean EA's money, not the people running EA.