Dead Space 3 Dev: The Last Thing We Think About is Money

TheMadJack

Apr 6, 2010
Lying to the internets Visceral... Not the best plan ever.

The internets remember, always. They will also call you on your bullshit. Every. Goddamn. Time.

You shoot yourself in the foot, you limp and (hopefully) think "Maybe I shouldn't have done this. It hurts.", but if you shoot yourself in the face, it makes it really hard to learn a lesson. Stop pulling on the trigger, put the gun down and just admit you had a temporary moment of insanity.

Oh right, EA bought your soul. Nevermind. *trigger gets pulled*

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
CorvusFerreum said:
And it was BS back then as well, I suppose (never realy played Dead Space). But it's not just that they announced their BS DLC, they also have their paid content thing and flatout said that they were just going to make a shitty PC port because fuck you PC gamers. All of that happened in the course of like two or three days. And then they went on and claim monetization had nothing to do with that. It's just insulting, and I'm not even a fan of Dead Space.

I mean it is okay if they want to be exploitive jerks. But if they do that they should at least be honest about that.
I'm not exactly saying they're in the right, but what I'm asking is why everyone is so against THIS game for doing what it has ALWAYS done. Dead Space was still insanely good despite its optional DLC cheats and perks. Dead Space 2 was still an incredibly great game despite it's optional DLC cheats and perks.

It's the same DLC types as they've always had since 2008.

Also, EVERY PC port of Dead Space thus far has been identical to the consoles with minimal options to optimize. And, again, I fail to see how giving PC gamers the chance to play the game at all is more of a "f*ck you" than simply NOT giving them the game at all. That logic baffles me. Guess what? There are dozens of popular games that aren't "optimized" for the PS3 over the 360 version, even though they could be, but you don't see too many people up in arms about it. I don't get why PC is so special. A great game is a great game no matter how advanced your graphics card is or your shader support. Would the options have been nice? Absolutely. But they aren't there, and it's ridiculous to blame a game for what it is NOT rather than what it IS.

Again, I think people are just getting cynical. I don't love everything, but to claim that Dead Space 3 is somehow a betrayal of the type of games that came before is unjustified. The DLC people are complaining about has been around this franchise for over five years now. The PC ports have never aspired to be anything more than direct console ports promising an identical experience. I've even seen people complain about the ending of DS3 when, well, my experience with it is it's perfectly in the same spirit as Dead Space 1 and Dead Space: Extraction.... which constitute a majority of the games in this series.

People are LOOKING for reasons to hate the game. By all means, be upset with micro-transactions. HOWEVER, a great game can surpass its flaws in SPITE of certain failings and bad choices and still emerge as a worthwhile, highly rewarding, highly satisfying, intense, and fan-pleasing experience. If DLC micro-transactions and not being an excellent ports were cause for failure, than 90% of the games released today, even award-winning games like Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption, Batman: Arkham City, Bioshock, The Orange Box, Portal 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, Fire Emblem, Resident Evil 4, Okami, and other GOTY winners and nominees would be considered failures.

Do not neglect the bad, but do not let what is, let's face it, small problems detract from what could be a largely complete and rewarding game. It's foolish to discredit everything created and accomplished based on optional extras.

Samechiel

Nov 4, 2009
Ha ha! Holy crap, what? I hadn't heard of this!

$40 worth of SP perks and you say that you don't care about money. EA has finally devoured the last remaining scraps of your tattered soul, Visceral.

Who will be cannibalized next?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Trishbot said:
On one hand, EA is the same company that said "they have to sell 5 million copies to remain a viable franchise".

On the other hand, and I'm going to just point this out... how is this ANY different from the ORIGINAL game?
http://deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Downloadable_Content_for_Dead_Space

You could pay money for better suits, better weapons, better abilities... or you could ignore it. DS1 came with a large chunk of DLC that serves the exact same purpose of giving you an edge in the game.
The DLC of the first game was added on ex post facto (for the most part, and unobtainable without the DLC). This time, you can pay to unlock stuff that's already in the game and obtainable through normal gameplay. A bit different if you consider the ramifications. Single-player games with pay to win mechanic is ridiculous. What will be next? charge me for different difficulty? It gets dangerous if we keep letting them get away with stuns like this.

Best thing to do is simply not buy the game.

I'm hoping this rage adds to lost sales. EA and Visceral (evidently) needs a swift kick in their balls.

edit:: Looks like you've got enough of this stick from others lol no need to respond, I get you.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Next up? Blizzard announces for the Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm single player campaign users will be able to purchase additional minerals and gas in game! Blizzard states that the purpose of this feature is not to make many but rather to provide a more accessible way for everyone to play and beat the game.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
"Money is the last thing we think about"

Then make all of that premium content...free? After all, you aren't thinking about money. Just plonk down a few extra items and ammo packs in the game, alter the difficulty settings or put in some cheat codes. Those all exist in older games so it's not a quantum leap in gaming technology or anything.

I'm actually suprised that this bloke took the bullet for EA, the gaming community would have happily pointed the finger at the publisher and they would have gotten away with it. Now we know it's the devs who put in the stupid cash grabbing they'll probably lose a few fans and lose some sales. But that's ok, because money is the last thing that concerns them so the sales figures aren't important either.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Samechiel said:
Ha ha! Holy crap, what? I hadn't heard of this!

$40 worth of SP perks and you say that you don't care about money. EA has finally devoured the last remaining scraps of your tattered soul, Visceral.

Who will be cannibalized next?
I'l give you a clue. Its starts with a "B"

MichaelPalin

Oct 20, 2011
Pure falsehood. Do you want to make your games more accessible? Put cheats on them, like it has been done forever. Charging for "advantage DLC" is, plain and simply, a scam. It's making people pay for something that was free before, it's a step backwards and should not be acceptable by anyone.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
DTWolfwood said:
The DLC of the first game was added on ex post facto (for the most part, and unobtainable without the DLC). This time, you can pay to unlock stuff that's already in the game and obtainable through normal gameplay. A bit different if you consider the ramifications. Single-player games with pay to win mechanic is ridiculous. What will be next? charge me for different difficulty? It gets dangerous if we keep letting them get away with stuns like this.

Best thing to do is simply not buy the game.

I'm hoping this rage adds to lost sales. EA and Visceral (evidently) needs a swift kick in their balls.

edit:: Looks like you've got enough of this stick from others lol no need to respond, I get you.
Actually, Capcom's far worse. :p They've charged for outright cheat codes, friendly fire, alternate language tracks, game endings, colors, on-disc costumes, 25% of an on-disc roster, and, yes, even difficulty modes (in Mega Man 9).

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
What you can't see is the guy from EA's PR tightly gripping his shoulders and going; "That's a good boy...".

With what they did to Insomniac and Overstrike and now Dead Space I find it VERY hard to believe there isn't some guy from EA messing with the design documents. After all they are the ones giving them money, I would find their complete absence weird.

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
Even more evidence that Dead Space 3 is going to crash and burn horribly. It's sad, really. I've only played DS1 so far, but I feel that it deserves better than this...

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Rocklobster99 said:
Yes, yes it does.

About the best I can say about this is that if it had come directly from one of EA's talking heads, it might well have pushed past "We're building in a system where you can pay to get better weapons to make a better game" and into the realms of "People demanded that we put in a 'pay to get better weapons' system/It is industry standard that you can pay more money in your games to reduce the level of challenge/You're going to love it!"

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Please, I can't stop laughing! Somebody stop me, I can't breathe.

Shit, as well mannered as Valve is, money is still a concern, and certainly not the last one either. That's why they make great games, not just games in a popular genre. The fact of the matter is, when you're selling something, money is a concern. People who make free flash games aren't concerned about money. Either he and definitely his publisher are majorly concerned with money.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Callate said:
Yes, yes it does.

About the best I can say about this is that if it had come directly from one of EA's talking heads, it might well have pushed past "We're building in a system where you can pay to get better weapons to make a better game" and into the realms of "People demanded that we put in a 'pay to get better weapons' system/It is industry standard that you can pay more money in your games to reduce the level of challenge/You're going to love it!"
Now that'd be more acceptable if the game were free. It'd be similar to premium accounts in most F2P games like World Of Tanks. It doesn't make you a better player, but it makes gaining exp and money a lot easier.

Murais

Sep 11, 2007
All I read was "We promote accessibility by imposing cash restrictions."

Then my eyes raged and began to eat themselves, so I had to look at pictures of corgi puppies to pacify them again.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Honestly, I feel sorry for Visceral. They are a talented studio, and Dead Space is a pretty good action horror series. I just wish they could get free of EA...