Dead Space 3 Dev: The Last Thing We Think About is Money

Your Gaffer

Oct 10, 2012
I suggest everyone goes and reads the original interview at gameplanet, it was an interesting read.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
*adds $40 worth of DLC that amounts to turning the game 'pay2win', claims its not about the money*

it takes balls to lie like that, i'm kinda impressed

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
Trishbot said:
On one hand, EA is the same company that said "they have to sell 5 million copies to remain a viable franchise".

On the other hand, and I'm going to just point this out... how is this ANY different from the ORIGINAL game?
http://deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Downloadable_Content_for_Dead_Space

You could pay money for better suits, better weapons, better abilities... or you could ignore it. DS1 came with a large chunk of DLC that serves the exact same purpose of giving you an edge in the game.
The DLC of the first game was added on ex post facto (for the most part, and unobtainable without the DLC). This time, you can pay to unlock stuff that's already in the game and obtainable through normal gameplay. A bit different if you consider the ramifications. Single-player games with pay to win mechanic is ridiculous. What will be next? charge me for different difficulty? It gets dangerous if we keep letting them get away with stuns like this.

Best thing to do is simply not buy the game.

I'm hoping this rage adds to lost sales. EA and Visceral (evidently) needs a swift kick in their balls.

edit:: Looks like you've got enough of this stick from others lol no need to respond, I get you.
No I think you are wrong. The best thing to do is to buy this game. Hell buy as many copies as you can afford. And don't spend a single cent on this DLC. Not buying the game won't change anything. If it doesn't sell it sends the message the game was crap, we only want our COD and anything that isn't COD isn't worth our time. Now think about it. The game ships X million copies and no one touches this crap DLC (not saying they shouldn't buy a real expansion just no resources and the likes) that is actually sending the message we need to send. Hey we like games like DS. We like our horror games and whatnot. But we don't like this kind of crap and we will not succumb to it. And now here is the kicker. It will take a server or something to make this accessible to everyone. Servers cost money. If no one buys this junk then it costs them money to maintain while all these copies of DS are floating around.

YIDOSH

Apr 15, 2009
I like to think that this has nothing to do with Visceral, and this poor fella was forced by EA to come out with this. I think I remember reading about how Dead Space needed a certain amount of sales to survive before DS3 was even announced, and the way this game is shaping up is horribly evident of a game desperately trying to hit that quota. The micro-transactions, the marketing - a Phil Collins song in a trailer, really? - and the near complete abandonment of the horror aspect. Not to mention the co-op, because what's the best way to turn one sale into two? You love Dead Space, and now you can get your buddy to buy it too! I'm certain that if you asked the dev team after DS1 released if they'd ever consider putting co-op in their franchise they would have laughed at you. What really breaks my heart is that he's saying this game won't sacrifice what Dead Space is to attract people, which it is. But I'm sure the last thing he wants is for this series to crash and burn and the studio to get shut down, and the alternative is obeying EA.

God, fuck EA.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
So he wants us to believe they're just idiots?

I feel sorry for him. Something stinks more than usual at EA right now, someone's making really terrible desicions. Before wasn't acceptable, but now it's becoming full feldged retarded.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
squid5580 said:
No I think you are wrong. The best thing to do is to buy this game. Hell buy as many copies as you can afford. And don't spend a single cent on this DLC. Not buying the game won't change anything. If it doesn't sell it sends the message the game was crap, we only want our COD and anything that isn't COD isn't worth our time. Now think about it. The game ships X million copies and no one touches this crap DLC (not saying they shouldn't buy a real expansion just no resources and the likes) that is actually sending the message we need to send. Hey we like games like DS. We like our horror games and whatnot. But we don't like this kind of crap and we will not succumb to it. And now here is the kicker. It will take a server or something to make this accessible to everyone. Servers cost money. If no one buys this junk then it costs them money to maintain while all these copies of DS are floating around.
Knowing EA's track record they'll declare the pay to win scheme a success even if no-one falls for it, stick it into other games and close the servers a year later, potentially rendering the game unplayable.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Ed130 said:
squid5580 said:
Knowing EA's track record they'll declare the pay to win scheme a success even if no-one falls for it, stick it into other games and close the servers a year later, potentially rendering the game unplayable.
And if the core fans boycott it they will blame COD and us. At least if it gets bought and the DLC ignored there is a chance the message will get through. EA may be evil but they aren't pants on their heads retarded.

And from the looks of things even if the servers go down it won't effect the game since you can get the same things from the game (other than the suits) than you can from the micro transactions.

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
Hagi said:
I think he's totally correct.

Money most likely was the last thing they thought about. And the first. And the second.

Money Money Money.

I lol'd.

But yeah, I can kind of believe it. These are the developers, not the publishers, and they're developing a game that they know will be successful: It's fucking Dead Space 3. Do I think that money wasn't a very big concern? No, of course not. Just that they probably weren't as worried about it as EA.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
For fucks sake, you are lying through your teeth visceral! I used to respect you guys! I LOVED the first two Dead Space games. Hell, I really liked Dante's Inferno despite it being a lackluster God of War ripoff. But good god this? You have just lost another customer. First you put micro-transactions in to a SURVIVAL HORROR game, effective DESTROYING what atmosphere and tension the series had, then turn around and tell us you don't care about the money?

You lying, hypocritical, pieces of shit!

Trishbot said:
On one hand, EA is the same company that said "they have to sell 5 million copies to remain a viable franchise".

On the other hand, and I'm going to just point this out... how is this ANY different from the ORIGINAL game?
http://deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Downloadable_Content_for_Dead_Space

You could pay money for better suits, better weapons, better abilities... or you could ignore it. DS1 came with a large chunk of DLC that serves the exact same purpose of giving you an edge in the game.
What makes it different is that in DS3, EVERY TIME you open up a bench, the game will spout "CLICK HERE TO BUY STUFF WITH REAL MONEY!" This destroys the atmosphere, and pushes the idea right into your face, and you can't stop it.

In the previous games, yes you could buy cosmetic items and upgraded weapons (with it being bullshit for the upgrades), but it was done OUTSIDE of the gameplay itself. It didn't poke its head in every five minutes with an advertisement, and it didn't get in the way. It was only accessible through the XBOX Live marketplace/PSN, and therefore did NOT destroy the immersion and atmosphere.

And yes, if it isn't obvious, I am PISSED OFF.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
squid5580 said:
Ed130 said:
And if the core fans boycott it they will blame COD and us. At least if it gets bought and the DLC ignored there is a chance the message will get through. EA may be evil but they aren't pants on their heads retarded.

And from the looks of things even if the servers go down it won't effect the game since you can get the same things from the game (other than the suits) than you can from the micro transactions.
Of course they are going to blame us for their failings. They did it to excuse Warfighter's dismal performance

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121799-Electronic-Arts-Drops-Medal-of-Honor

what makes you think they are going to admit to their failings now?

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
MikeWehner said:
Adding later, "The last thing we think about is monetization."

*wipes away tears of laughter*

That was a good laugh, thank you for that. Seriously though, I imagine that EA told the Visceral producer to say that before he made that statement.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Micro transactions in this game will be as effective as those in Dragons Dogma. I never bought a single thing. I suppose if they set it up so you can buy stuff earlier in the game without having to unlock/locate it first I'm okay with that, kind if like how Soul Calibur IV was.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I so want dead space to fail now.....
buying cheat codes is apperently not thinking about money.
if you were nto thinking about money you would have given all those options for free. you didnt, therefore your thinking about money. and lieing too. you shoudl be put in jail, not be allowed to design the game.

EA may be evil but they aren't pants on their heads retarded.
Oh yes, yes they are....

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
Saregon said:
[...]
Anyone know if this will be available for Steam, or if it's Origin exclusive? Or, heaven forbid, one of those dual-DRM things like From Dust, which forces you to use Uplay (which is even worse than Origin, from what I've seen so far), even though you bought it in Steam.
[...]
Because of their microtransactions I expect draconian DRM. I might be wrong with that but it just seems likely to me.
Since they made clear that the PC-Port will be a straight up port from console without the smallest bit of graphical improvement (and presumably locked 30 FPS) I wouldn't bother with it either way. That way you don't have to bother with horrible DRM, Origin or Steam (wich I also find annoying with it's DRM and it's broken offline mode). You seem to have a console avaiable and it doesn't seem that you miss out on anything on the console version. On the contrary: I really expect horrible optimization issues because they don't seem to be wanting to pay the slightest attention to their PC port.
Wouldn't know about modding though. Is there a modding scene for Dead Space? And is it likely that EA will be cracking down on mods, because it might interfere with their microtransaction stuff, like Blizzard did?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Of course they don't think about money, that's why their budget is so bloated that EA came out and said that DS3 needs to sell 5 million copies to make a profit...

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Ed130 said:
squid5580 said:
Ed130 said:

Of course they are going to blame us for their failings. They did it to excuse Warfighter's dismal performance

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121799-Electronic-Arts-Drops-Medal-of-Honor

what makes you think they are going to admit to their failings now?
Because of that article right there. MOH didn't resonate with us so they are dropping it. Sure they fail to see all the problems with it and instead of trying to improve it they decided to drop it altogether. And that is the point. They don't get it. They don't understand why it was bad. This is the first time we really get a way to tell them here is the good and here is the bad. We never got a choice with the online pass. Either you buy it new, buy it used and they don't know you bought it unless you buy the pass. Or not buy the game and that is because it's bad even if you boycotted because of the pass. If people buy the game and it sells well while not buying the resource packs (the alt. costumes aren't going anywhere) then they will blame us. And with hope they will blame us for the micro transactions not being a hot idea and drop it.

Of course DS could be truly pay to win for everyone (and Visceral is full of shit) and not just catering to the lazy. But I am running under the assumption this is not the case. That you can beat the game on the hardest difficulty without paying. Which is what the interview said.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
*dies laughing* rriiiigghhhhhttttttttttttttt if that was not the case most sequels would not suck for all the watering down and crap.....

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
CorvusFerreum said:
Saregon said:
[...]
Anyone know if this will be available for Steam, or if it's Origin exclusive? Or, heaven forbid, one of those dual-DRM things like From Dust, which forces you to use Uplay (which is even worse than Origin, from what I've seen so far), even though you bought it in Steam.
[...]
Because of their microtransactions I expect draconian DRM. I might be wrong with that but it just seems likely to me.
Since they made clear that the PC-Port will be a straight up port from console without the smallest bit of graphical improvement (and presumably locked 30 FPS) I wouldn't bother with it either way. That way you don't have to bother with horrible DRM, Origin or Steam (wich I also find annoying with it's DRM and it's broken offline mode). You seem to have a console avaiable and it doesn't seem that you miss out on anything on the console version. On the contrary: I really expect horrible optimization issues because they don't seem to be wanting to pay the slightest attention to their PC port.
Wouldn't know about modding though. Is there a modding scene for Dead Space? And is it likely that EA will be cracking down on mods, because it might interfere with their microtransaction stuff, like Blizzard did?
Not sure about the mod part, but it seems likely they will crack down on that, like they did with BF3. I don't really mind, because those aren't the type of game I use mods for, but I dislike the practice on principle. But yeah, I probably won't be buying it at all, I know it won't make much difference, but with all the horrible decisions they make on this game, I don't want to help them reach 5 million, and validate these decisions with a sale. Maybe, if it turns out to be good, I might pick it up used for console somewhere down the line, because I don't play it for multiplayer anyway. I doubt it though.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011

Oh man, I was laughing and coughing at the same time when I read that headline. Ah... If you wanted to make it really accessible, add cheat codes, so that people without credit cards or much extra disposable income can partake.