Dead Space 3 Review

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Yes, after 2 games i would find it strange, if not worrying, if Issac didnt show some improvement at aiming a gun/power tool.

Other reviews ive seen so far also indicate that the microtransactions are wholly optional too, might pick this up after all then.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
V3rtig0 said:
About Isaac's proficiency with guns - at first I thought the same thing many people are saying - "after so many encounters with necromorphs he better know how to use a gun", or something along the line. But when you think, if he only used tools all the time, how could he have learned to use guns? So he either got some training before going to find this marker doomsday machine(don't know much about the story and premise of the third game yet) or he just practiced with the pulse rifle that was available to him the first two games and we can just assume that other firearms operate in a similar manner.
Well, technically, you're still using engineering equipment...but *gosh*, they suuuuuure do end up feeling awfully a lot like normal guns. It's very wink-and-a-nod, a thinly-veiled excuse for Isaac to be wielding shotguns and grenade launchers. It takes away some of what I really enjoyed about him as a character originally, but it doesn't harm the game.

UsefulPlayer 1 said:
How long is the game? The latest Jimquisition mentioned something about Dead Space 2 being 8 hours. I think I almost fell out of my chair when I heard that.
It depends on a) if you do the optional missions or not, and b) how OCD you are about searching every nook and cranny. I'd say the entire game clocks in at around...oh, 20 hours or so, assuming you don't just race to the finish.

Nachtmahr

Feb 17, 2011
I am disappointed to see that the EA hate trolls have already taken over the voting score on Metacritic. I played and hated the new DmC, but I would not have given it a 3 or a 4 by any means. I find that incredibly disrespectful to the people who worked hard on the game. Judge the game for the game, don't just say "EA ruined the series." without even playing it. If you don't want to buy because it doesn't look good to you, that's fair.

I pre-ordered it and am waiting for it to get here. The reviews for it are about what I expected. I'm still looking forward to it and playing it on co-op with my husband.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
A lot of people have a different idea of what 'horror' means to them. To me, horror is dealing with a grotesque monster/entity in a situation where your chances of survival are fairly slim. I like the panic inducing segments in Dead Space, 'cause that fits in pretty well with what horror means to me. Dead Space 3 does not seem all that different, since to me, horror doesn't necessarily have to be scary.

If we wanna talk about pure fright-factor, the scariest game series I have ever played is the Fatal Frame series. Those games scared the hell out of me, whereas Silent Hill intrigued me and just drew me in further while creeping me out the whole time.

Anyway, I can't wait to get this game. I just need to finish Dead Space 2 first. It got surprisingly hard to find a used copy. =/

loa

Jan 28, 2012
You can replay chapters to grind for weapon parts?
Yeah because that doesn't break immersion and game flow in any way.
Incidentally, that also means no revisiting old locations so each "chapter" feels entirely like a level in a video game instead of a part of a world you traverse and bye bye resource management because dead space never was about that or anything.
Compare resident evil 4 to 5 to see what I mean. Am I wrong?

And then there are also side missions?
Yeah I suppose you can farm those then since you can replay chapters.
Can you play straight through the game ignoring all that or will your weapon be so comically weak that you can't survive late encounters?
You were kinda vaguely beating around the bush that it takes a long while to get a good weapon but never said what that actually means.

Why would people not want to, as you put it "spend half their time breaking open boxes or replaying completed chapters just to collect more loot" so they make use of those awesome micro transactions?
You kinda put it like it's a chore but never go into why.

All I see you using in that video are shotgun mc generic and assault rifle as in every third person shooter ever.
Is this what it comes down to if you don't grind?
Because that is not dead space at all, "tactical dismemberment, conventional weaponry isn't that good" and all.
Not like that surprises me in the slightest by now.

Guess I'll have to wait for a second opinion.
This review wasn't helpful.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
erttheking said:
You know, I don't feel comfortable supporting EA either. So lay off.
I politely refuse. I was mostly irritated at the lack of specificity to why he/you would prefer not to. If it too mainstream? You don't like the IPs they own? Did the CEO kill your family? All of these are equally valid under the details both of you provided, which is unhealthy.

Rabid Chipmunk

Nov 11, 2010
loa said:
You can replay chapters to grind for weapon parts?
Yeah because that doesn't break immersion and game flow in any way.
Incidentally, that also means no revisiting old locations so each "chapter" feels entirely like a level in a video game instead of a part of a world you traverse.
Bye bye resource management because dead space never was about that or anything.
Compare resident evil 4 to 5 to see what I mean. Am I wrong?

And then there are also side missions?
Yeah I suppose you can farm those then since you can replay chapters.
Can you play straight through the game ignoring all that or will your weapon be so comically weak that you can't survive late encounters?
You were kinda vaguely beating around the bush that it takes a long while to get a good weapon but never said what that actually means.

All I see you using in that video are shotgun mc generic and assault rifle as in every third person shooter ever.
Is this what it comes down to if you don't grind?
Because that is not dead space at all, "tactical dismemberment, conventional weaponry isn't that good" and all.
Not like that surprises me in the slightest by now.

Guess I'll have to wait for a second opinion.
This review wasn't helpful.
Sounds less like the review wasn't helpful and more like you wanted them to say Dead Space 3 sucks.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Rabid Chipmunk said:
Sounds less like the review wasn't helpful and more like you wanted them to say Dead Space 3 sucks.
Now that would be a terrible review. The why is what matters.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
deathbydeath said:
erttheking said:
You know, I don't feel comfortable supporting EA either. So lay off.
I politely refuse. I was mostly irritated at the lack of specificity to why he/you would prefer not to. If it too mainstream? You don't like the IPs they own? Did the CEO kill your family? All of these are equally valid under the details both of you provided, which is unhealthy.
Ugh. Did you really just pull the "did the CEO kill your family" card? I did that once and in hindsight I realize that it was a dick move.

I don't like what they did to a franchise that I loved. Is that enough for you?

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Rabid Chipmunk said:
It's like DmC all over again. They'll cherry pick the reviews that mention things they want to be mentioned and ignore the tidal wave of good reviews.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
erttheking said:
Ugh. Did you really just pull the "did the CEO kill your family" card? I did that once and in hindsight I realize that it was a dick move.

Really? Interesting. I just used it as hyperbole in covering a spectrum of strawman arguments.

My question was rhetorical, too. I was just saying "be more specific, otherwise you sound like a douchecanoe".

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
deathbydeath said:
erttheking said:

Really? Interesting. I just used it as hyperbole in covering a spectrum of strawman arguments.

My question was rhetorical, too. I was just saying "be more specific, otherwise you sound like a douchecanoe".
I don't see why I have to give a specific reason every time when I say "I don't like supporting a company."

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
WaitWHAT said:
Susan Arendt said:
Dead Space 3 may not be scary, but it's still a damn good time.

"If you go into dead space 3 hoping it'll be scary, you'll probably come away disappointed." "It may not be a horror game anymore."
Why is it pretending to be a horror game if it's just about tense shooting? Why does it put scary masks on all the dudes you have to shoot and put spooky voice logs everywhere? If it's not 'supposed' to be a horror game, why is it wearing the skin of another one? If you're making a game that's about tense, careful shooting, why not set it so that you're shooting something that's clearly non-horror related (such as ninjas or pirates or whatever) instead of cosmic horrors from beyond the stars? Unless you've set out to make a horror game and failed miserably in the process. Disappointing. Very disappointing. No 5 million sales for you, EA.
Well, it's not scary, but is creepy. I differentiate between the two things, but others may not. I consider "scary" to be something more immediate and active - it makes you want to shut the game off out of fear. Creepy, on the other hand, I consider to be more uncomfortable. Creepiness is more subtle than scariness, at least the way I classify types of horror.

But I do have to agree with you on one point - I very much doubt this game will sell 5 million copies. Which is a shame, because it really is quite good.

mohit9206

Oct 13, 2012
so now i know that this game does not have a very engaging story and its more fun to play co-op.
so since a good story is very important to me and also since i will be playing this game all by myself, is this game still recommended for me ? or does it bring it down since i wont be playing co-op ?

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
erttheking said:
I don't see why I have to give a specific reason every time when I say "I don't like supporting a company."
The original comment I replied to was (seemingly) filled to the brim with navel-gazing and pretension, and listing actual reasons with that would have made it much more bearable.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
WaitWHAT said:
Do you mind calming down a little? Addressing people in a thread in a polite and reasonable manner makes it a nicer and friendlier place for everyone. Including you.
I don't remember being filled with rage when I wrote that comment, and I don't think I insulted anybody. I thought I was just describing things from my point of view, but please point out where I done fumbled. I'd prefer to not get mod warnings because of misunderstandings.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
mohit9206 said:
so now i know that this game does not have a very engaging story and its more fun to play co-op.
so since a good story is very important to me and also since i will be playing this game all by myself, is this game still recommended for me ? or does it bring it down since i wont be playing co-op ?
Where did you get that the story isn't engaging? I love the story of Dead Space. You will, however, miss out on parts of the story (Carver's parts, specifically) if you can't do the co-op missions, and I think that sucks. I enjoy the lore of Dead Space so much I want access to all of it - text logs, audio logs, stuff written on the wall in blood, everything. But you will still very much enjoy it if you play the entire thing solo. There are plenty of side missions to do by yourself, and they each add a great deal of flavor to the overall story.