Dead Space 3 Review

Yellowfish

New member
Nov 8, 2012
88
0
0
Well, thanks for the extra information about the game. Now I'm 100% sure that I'm totally not buying it. I mean, it requires me to use Origin, it has microtransactions (I'm just deeply opposed to the idea of having microtransactions in a non-MMO game that you have to pay full price to even start playing), and now I find out that it forces you into playing co-op by depriving lone players of story-related content?

This is the first time I actually regret not owning a console. I'd just lend a friend's copy or buy it used then.
 

deathbydeath

New member
Jun 28, 2010
1,363
0
0
WaitWHAT said:
Alright, little Jimmy. This is what we call "politeness" Politeness means not saying stuff like this:

deathbydeath said:
I could actually feel the self-righteous pretentiousness emanating from my computer, congratulations.
deathbydeath said:
Is it too mainstream? You don't like the IPs they own? Did the CEO kill your family? All of these are equally valid under the details both of you provided, which is unhealthy.
deathbydeath said:
Really? Interesting. I just used it as hyperbole in covering a spectrum of strawman arguments.
deathbydeath said:
The original comment I replied to was (seemingly) filled to the brim with navel-gazing and pretension, and listing actual reasons with that would have made it much more bearable.
It means not being a total asshat if someone says something you disagree with. It means politely saying something to the effect of "I disagree with your statement" and listing some reasons if it matters to you that much. It does not mean endlessly calling people pretentious and taking an overly agressive tone. It's only a random interent comment, for flip's sake!
1. My name isn't Jimmy. If you want to use someone's name, check their profile first.

2. So my posts aren't polite. Thanks for helping me avoid the mods. Any other astounding insights you have to share?

3. I'm a random internet comment too, you know.

4. So you call me out on impoliteness (which I'll concede on the first comment), yet call me an asshat when I had yet to insult a person in this conversation.

5. I said "pretentious" twice, and the second time was echoing the first. I can't count, but I'm fairly sure that isn't "endless".
 

Erttheking

Member
Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
10,845
1
3
Country
United States
deathbydeath said:
erttheking said:
I don't see why I have to give a specific reason every time when I say "I don't like supporting a company."
The original comment I replied to was (seemingly) filled to the brim with navel-gazing and pretension, and listing actual reasons with that would have made it much more bearable.
And was it REALLY necessary to lash out at him like that?
 

FFP2

New member
Dec 24, 2012
741
0
0
Definitely buying this second hand... Never supporting EA again if they keep their current business model.

From what I've heard so far it seems like the side missions are some of the best bits in the game... I don't know what to make about that.
 

Doopliss64

New member
Jul 20, 2011
132
0
0
What's with all of the "I refuse to support EA" stuff? I mean, I understand the point of view, but it really is illogical if you look at it.

Most of the money from games sold goes to the developer (Visceral), not the publisher (EA), though they do take a cut. The idea of not buying the game because you don't like what EA has done to is dumb because:

A) You're hurting the developer more than you're hurting the publisher by not buying it. EA has all the money in the world; it's the Dead Space IP that will suffer for not making enough profit, not EA.

B) Look at it from EA's perspective. They have this (from a sales perspective, when compared to other franchises) so-so IP known as Dead Space that they feel holds little sway with the "mainsteam" (as evidenced by their attempts to bring it out of the horror niche and into a more popular audience). If, even after the attempts they have taken to make the franchise more accessible the game still sells poorly, they will not see it as "Wow, it looks like gamers are really tired of our bullshit!" They will see it as "Well, looks like we were right." and cut the franchise.

Solution: Going out of your way to not buy the game as some form of protest is silly. Buy it (or don't) based on whether you want to play it. But if you do buy it, give EA hell for it. As Jim Sterling once said, EA doesn't care about people that don't buy their games. But if their paying customers raise hell, THAT is how they will be forced to respond.
 

Migs

New member
Oct 13, 2010
79
0
0
Wow!
A Video accompanied by a Susan Arendt review!
Now that is rare indeed.

Thanks very much.
 

braincore02

New member
Jan 14, 2008
293
0
0
deathbydeath said:
tmande2nd said:
The day I buy an EA product will be a cold day in hell indeed.
Wow, the internet continues to amaze me. I could actually feel the self-righteous pretentiousness emanating from my computer, congratulations.
Do I smell a little reverse-pretention in the air here?

I personally applaud anyone who's willing to forgo a gaming experience they would otherwise have enjoyed to keep from encouraging EA. Just because EA's in the business of making money (pardon my redundancy) doesn't excuse them to do whatever the hell they want. However, everyone putting up with it and giving them money anyway does enable them to do whatever the hell they want. So, kudos to tmande2nd and anyone like him.

The way I read the final score of this review is 3/5. 1 star subtracted for microtransactions. In this context I consider it a sinister business practice that smears chunky crap on the face of the game. All they have to do is design the game with restricted access to the resources you need, so the impatient will pay for it. That is a manufactured need, that only exists because EA is seeing how much they can get away with. Don't encourage the corporate trolls, people! I don't care how nice their suits are.
 

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
5,498
1
3
Country
United States
I was a little worried about this game, but I'm glad it doesn't depart too much from what I gather. If I go into this game like an Aliens sequel then I think I will have a blast.

You mentioned resources, is there a limit to how much stuff you can carry, or can you practically carry as many materials as you'd like?
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I was a little worried about this game, but I'm glad it doesn't depart too much from what I gather. If I go into this game like an Aliens sequel then I think I will have a blast.

You mentioned resources, is there a limit to how much stuff you can carry, or can you practically carry as many materials as you'd like?
No limit to the resources you can carry, nope, but you are limited to the number of items (med kits, ammo clips, etc.) you can carry.

As for your Aliens reference, I totally felt like Vasquez the entire time. It really, really channels an Aliens vibe.
 

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
5,498
1
3
Country
United States
Susan Arendt said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I was a little worried about this game, but I'm glad it doesn't depart too much from what I gather. If I go into this game like an Aliens sequel then I think I will have a blast.

You mentioned resources, is there a limit to how much stuff you can carry, or can you practically carry as many materials as you'd like?
No limit to the resources you can carry, nope, but you are limited to the number of items (med kits, ammo clips, etc.) you can carry.

As for your Aliens reference, I totally felt like Vasquez the entire time. It really, really channels an Aliens vibe.
Okay, that makes sense. I had a feeling the regular stuff like ammo would be, but I wasn't quite sure about the resources and how that would balance. I think I have a fairly good grasp on what they're trying to do now. I hope anyways.

Vasquez, you say?

Well damn, now I'm super excited. :D
 

deathbydeath

New member
Jun 28, 2010
1,363
0
0
braincore02 said:
Do I smell a little reverse-pretention in the air here?

I personally applaud anyone who's willing to forgo a gaming experience they would otherwise have enjoyed to keep from encouraging EA. Just because EA's in the business of making money (pardon my redundancy) doesn't excuse them to do whatever the hell they want. However, everyone putting up with it and giving them money anyway does enable them to do whatever the hell they want. So, kudos to tmande2nd and anyone like him.

The way I read the final score of this review is 3/5. 1 star subtracted for microtransactions. In this context I consider it a sinister business practice that smears chunky crap on the face of the game. All they have to do is design the game with restricted access to the resources you need, so the impatient will pay for it. That is a manufactured need, that only exists because EA is seeing how much they can get away with. Don't encourage the corporate trolls, people! I don't care how nice their suits are.
I already said I should've reworded that comment, so moving on.

Unless I'm mistaken, and upon buying the game Visceral forces you to purchase DLC, then don't buy the damn DLC if you don't like the damn DLC. If you think you would like the game, then buy the game. Bam, problem solved! No need to whine or rant, just support what you want with your wallet.
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Susan Arendt said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I was a little worried about this game, but I'm glad it doesn't depart too much from what I gather. If I go into this game like an Aliens sequel then I think I will have a blast.

You mentioned resources, is there a limit to how much stuff you can carry, or can you practically carry as many materials as you'd like?
No limit to the resources you can carry, nope, but you are limited to the number of items (med kits, ammo clips, etc.) you can carry.

As for your Aliens reference, I totally felt like Vasquez the entire time. It really, really channels an Aliens vibe.
Okay, that makes sense. I had a feeling the regular stuff like ammo would be, but I wasn't quite sure about the resources and how that would balance. I think I have a fairly good grasp on what they're trying to do now. I hope anyways.

Vasquez, you say?

Well damn, now I'm super excited. :D
Well, it's not that Isaac ever gets a Vasquez-style gun (though some come damn close), I'm just more likely to picture her than Hicks when I play. :)
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
deathbydeath said:
braincore02 said:
Do I smell a little reverse-pretention in the air here?

I personally applaud anyone who's willing to forgo a gaming experience they would otherwise have enjoyed to keep from encouraging EA. Just because EA's in the business of making money (pardon my redundancy) doesn't excuse them to do whatever the hell they want. However, everyone putting up with it and giving them money anyway does enable them to do whatever the hell they want. So, kudos to tmande2nd and anyone like him.

The way I read the final score of this review is 3/5. 1 star subtracted for microtransactions. In this context I consider it a sinister business practice that smears chunky crap on the face of the game. All they have to do is design the game with restricted access to the resources you need, so the impatient will pay for it. That is a manufactured need, that only exists because EA is seeing how much they can get away with. Don't encourage the corporate trolls, people! I don't care how nice their suits are.
I already said I should've reworded that comment, so moving on.

Unless I'm mistaken, and upon buying the game Visceral forces you to purchase DLC, then don't buy the damn DLC if you don't like the damn DLC. If you think you would like the game, then buy the game. Bam, problem solved! No need to whine or rant, just support what you want with your wallet.
Hey guys!

We totally understand that you have some strong opinions about this game, and are more than happy to provide a place for you to discuss the subject at your leisure. However, I'd like to remind you (and everyone else) to keep an eye on the tone. We have strict policies here against antagonism and personal attacks, and try to foster an environment in which people can share their opinions without fear of ridicule or hostility. Please remember to keep your criticisms strictly constructive, the mods really don't enjoy handing out warnings.

Thank you so much :)
 

oldtaku

New member
Jan 7, 2011
639
0
0
Sounds like a fun game if you've never played the first and have Resident Evil 4-6 expectations for 'horror'?
 

romanator0

New member
Jun 3, 2011
183
0
0
Doopliss64 said:
What's with all of the "I refuse to support EA" stuff? I mean, I understand the point of view, but it really is illogical if you look at it.

Most of the money from games sold goes to the developer (Visceral), not the publisher (EA), though they do take a cut. The idea of not buying the game because you don't like what EA has done to is dumb because:

A) You're hurting the developer more than you're hurting the publisher by not buying it. EA has all the money in the world; it's the Dead Space IP that will suffer for not making enough profit, not EA.

B) Look at it from EA's perspective. They have this (from a sales perspective, when compared to other franchises) so-so IP known as Dead Space that they feel holds little sway with the "mainsteam" (as evidenced by their attempts to bring it out of the horror niche and into a more popular audience). If, even after the attempts they have taken to make the franchise more accessible the game still sells poorly, they will not see it as "Wow, it looks like gamers are really tired of our bullshit!" They will see it as "Well, looks like we were right." and cut the franchise.

Solution: Going out of your way to not buy the game as some form of protest is silly. Buy it (or don't) based on whether you want to play it. But if you do buy it, give EA hell for it. As Jim Sterling once said, EA doesn't care about people that don't buy their games. But if their paying customers raise hell, THAT is how they will be forced to respond.
In the case of Dead Space, Visceral is EA. Visceral is a company that was created and is wholly owned by Electronic Arts. Here is the first sentence from Visceral's wikipedia page: "Visceral Games (formerly EA Redwood Shores[1]) is a video game development studio internally owned by Electronic Arts."

As for your "solution", it is completely and utterly stupid. All EA cares about is how much money they make. EA is a corporation through and through and will do what they want to make money even if it comes at the expense of their consumers. If you buy an EA game and then start bitching and raising hell EA isn't going to care, they already have your money, you already gave them your support. In this industry the consumers' power comes from voting with their wallets. If people don't like something that a publisher or developer is doing then not giving them money is how they show their view of the developer or publisher's actions.
 

squid5580

New member
Feb 20, 2008
5,106
0
0
Caramel Frappe said:
Thank you Susan for the review, to see it get 4 stars relieves me a bit more. I'm going to purchase my pre-ordered Dead Space game.
After all, i've been a huge fan and passing this up .. was to much for me. I gave in, blame the Marker my own fanboy love for the game.

Wish me luck if it has another hardcore mode with only three saves allowed.
http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/technology/dead-space-3-to-have-one-life-only-hardcore-mode-039disturbing039-dlc_816281.html

Hahaha 3 saves is generous.