Deadliest warrior: Alexander the Great vs. Attila the Hun WTF!?!?!?

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Silent Eagle said:
arbiter592 said:
Silent Eagle said:
Yeah it was BS. What was that "gastrophetes"? Thats a volley weapon wtf against a long bow,thats like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

These weapons shouldnt be pitted against each other. We as humans design weapons to conflict with the weapons of the enemy not something made hundreds of years ago.
The whole show is completly unbalanced but they know people will watch it and thats what they want.. Ratings.
It was a composite bow, just sayin.
Okay. What is a Composite bow?
Thin strips of wood glued together. It was made since the arid lands only had scrub trees that you couldn't make a full longbow from. Composite bows also tend to be more powerful than longbows because of the gluing process. However, the glue they used melted in water. So a rainy day reduced the effectiveness of their bows. Not a big deal on the Asian steppe, but would pose a problem in a rainy country.

arbiter592

Jun 1, 2010
martin said:
arbiter592 said:
Czargent Sane said:
I think it was wierd how the big advantage of the kanabo (the ability to break your opponent's arm through a shield) was forgotten about so quickly

I saw in the episode guide they're pitting sun tzu against vlad the impaler. neither of them were warriors.

pirate vs knight. dont even get me started on that little fiasco.
I still think knight should have won because the pirates only had one good weapon against the knight, the blunderbuss, and even that misfired a lot. And how did broadsword and cutlass get a tie when the knight is wearing freaking armor!?
The armour is irrelevant to the testing of an attack weapon.
However, considering the broadsword more easily cut through the body of swine, it probably should have received the edge.
Why not? They do it all the time. They did it in Aztec vs. Zande where they gave the Aztec the edge in long range because the Zande arrows didnt penetrate the cotton armor well.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Silent Eagle said:
arbiter592 said:
Silent Eagle said:
Yeah it was BS. What was that "gastrophetes"? Thats a volley weapon wtf against a long bow,thats like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

These weapons shouldnt be pitted against each other. We as humans design weapons to conflict with the weapons of the enemy not something made hundreds of years ago.
The whole show is completly unbalanced but they know people will watch it and thats what they want.. Ratings.
It was a composite bow, just sayin.
Okay. What is a Composite bow?
Composite bow is made up of multiple different parts in the bow that are laminated and fused together to form one continuous bow.
These types of bows allow for the weapon to be the same strength as a very large bow, but much smaller. A bow made from one piece of wood is called a Self bow.

Pifflestick

Jun 10, 2008
I stopped watching it after Alexander vs. Attila because it was that episode that proved Deadliest Warrior is complete bullshit. Siege weaponry? Some weirdass crossbow? No. Just no. The whole show is a fucking joke.

Czargent Sane

May 31, 2010
martin said:
arbiter592 said:
Czargent Sane said:
I think it was wierd how the big advantage of the kanabo (the ability to break your opponent's arm through a shield) was forgotten about so quickly

I saw in the episode guide they're pitting sun tzu against vlad the impaler. neither of them were warriors.

I still think knight should have won because the pirates only had one good weapon against the knight, the blunderbuss, and even that misfired a lot. And how did broadsword and cutlass get a tie when the knight is wearing freaking armor!?
However, considering the broadsword more easily cut through the body of swine, it probably should have received the edge.
I like the fact that only one of the pirates weapons could damage the knight reliably, and this one shot weapon would only cause damage if the knight didn't manage to use his shield. opposed to the knight, whose weapons were each a one hit instant kill, except for the crossbow, which would deliver mortal wounds from beyond the pirates range with greater accuracy and reload time.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
arbiter592 said:
martin said:
arbiter592 said:
Czargent Sane said:

Why not? They do it all the time. They did it in Aztec vs. Zande where they gave the Aztec the edge in long range because the Zande arrows didnt penetrate the cotton armor well.
They were testing the swords' attack effectiveness. Just that, they obviously know the Knight wouldn't have been easily killed by that sort of sword, but they tested it as if it were two unarmoured people fighting.

arbiter592

Jun 1, 2010
Czargent Sane said:
martin said:
arbiter592 said:
Czargent Sane said:

I like the fact that only one of the pirates weapons could damage the knight reliably, and this one shot weapon would only cause damage if the knight didn't manage to use his shield. opposed to the knight, whose weapons were each a one hit instant kill, except for the crossbow, which would deliver mortal wounds from beyond the pirates range with greater accuracy and reload time.
Don't forget the grenado getting the edge over the morningstar. What BS. It's still entertaining though. Especially the katars for the rajput.

YurdleTheTurtle

Mar 23, 2009
The show is entertaining but as usual, I have to agree that it would be so much better if they did more accurate tests. As everyone else mentioned, there's the whole Ninja thing (They never fight head on, and should have been left out entirely), bringing siege weapons to a 1 on 1 fight (In the Aftermath, the reason was "because it was cool"...Seriously!?), having completely different tests, and a lot of times they don't test each weapon against each armour.

One of the most weirdest ones was grenade testing in Green Beret vs Spetsnaz. The tests were completely different and I have no idea how a proper conclusion can come from it. One grenade is in a laundry machine with targets outside in an area. The other grenade test is in an enclosed space with targets inside the room...

Generally I dislike the gun episodes but like the ancient warrior ones.

Czargent Sane

May 31, 2010
arbiter592 said:
Czargent Sane said:
martin said:
arbiter592 said:
Czargent Sane said:

Don't forget the grenado getting the edge over the morningstar. What BS. It's still entertaining though. Especially the katars for the rajput.
I had no idea those fricking things were so dam sharp!

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
I stopped watching this show ages ago. Its absolute crap. It seems the warriors themselves are being deliberately 'limited' to be able to fit in the damn simulator.

Reminder: whats the tie-breaker between the Yakuza and the Italian Mafia? A bloody screwdriver

arbiter592

Jun 1, 2010
Czargent Sane said:
arbiter592 said:
Czargent Sane said:
martin said:
arbiter592 said:
Czargent Sane said:

I had no idea those fricking things were so dam sharp!
When I went to see my family in India, we went to a museum. the tour guide explained that how they used the katars was they would first stab without popping it open. When the blade is inside a person, they pop it open and twist and rip out. So imagine the scene with the pig, with more blood and organs on the ground.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
After a few episodes in the first season I throughout the reliability of their matches, instead I just record the show, watch the weapons and skip through all the bs. In the end I get to learn really basic stuff about some history about how people fought in about 10 minutes and save myself the 50 minutes of utter crap.

arbiter592

Jun 1, 2010
Sougo said:
I stopped watching this show ages ago. Its absolute crap. It seems the warriors themselves are being deliberately 'limited' to be able to fit in the damn simulator.

Reminder: whats the tie-breaker between the Yakuza and the Italian Mafia? A bloody screwdriver
Actually the sais got more kills than the ice pick. The thing that gave the mafia their edge was the baseball bat. obviously superior to nunchuks.

Technocrat

Nov 19, 2008
For the people complaining "ZOMFG IT SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN ONE ON ONE" - when they do the computing, they base it on *hundreds* of people fighting other hundreds. When they show you the one-on-one, that's because it'd be rather outside of their budget to hire an absurd amount of extras to fill out the remainder of Alexander's Army/Wallace's army/Shaka Zulu's army.

DarkDain

Jul 31, 2007
arbiter592 said:
This was one of the most BS episodes I have seen on Deadliest warrior. Let's give Alexander a siege weapon in a 1v1 fight, while we give Attila a freakin warhammer! Post what you guys thought about this and indeed any other Deadliest Warrior episode you disagree on.
What kind of siege weapon? One that can be set up and used by one guy and aimed at a single target ? thats madness. Although im still in favor of alexander the great, but not with a artillery. Lawl they should of given him a siege tower. xD

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
I love this show lol. I love it for the same reasons I like those martial art shows they put on like fight quest. The whole testing of weapons on those jelly things and martial arts kicking on pressure models to test the kick... I love that, I think it's amazing. Though the thing with both these shows is the fact that they are often inaccurate and either down play or exaggerate in order to get ratings (it seems). I don't trust the results... I just love watching swords flying into jellymolds on the fast cam.

DethVanXan

Arch Inquisitor
Nov 23, 2009
maddawg IAJI said:
Probably the one I disagreed with the most though was William Wallace vs Shaka Zulu. Yes, lets give the guy who lives in the iron age a Claymore and the man who lives in a Tribe in the middle of Africa some poisonous spit. I don't know, something about that fight just seemed unfair to me.
In Shaka Zulu's defence, he completely changed the way battles happened between the tribes. It used to be mostly intimidating the opponent and throwing spears, he changed it to getting up close and personal with fast attacks. Also, Shaka Zulu and the Zulu empire was in Southern Africa, not the middle of Africa. Sorry, I just had to get that out there.
Also, that was an unfair fight. I agree with you.

Czargent Sane

May 31, 2010
arbiter592 said:
Sougo said:

Actually the sais got more kills than the ice pick. The thing that gave the mafia their edge was the baseball bat. obviously superior to nunchuks.
nunchuks, I get the feeling the producers didnt let them use the sword because they already had a katana on the show. I mean really! its a yakuza trademark!