Dear Bethesda...

HandsomeZer0

Dec 6, 2010
Thank you for introducing me to an awesome song and game.
I will happily replace the purchase you won't make.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
know what i'd like to see Bethesda do?

hire some bug testers that know what they're doing for the next TES/FO game. not cause it'll effect me in anyway, i just don't find it excusable they can ship an incomplete product like that

Sean Hollyman said:
kinda creepy sounding actually, but it is better then the trailer would suggest

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Definitely not what I was expecting lol. We seem to be on a griping-about-Skyrim kick lately. When I read the title, my hand went straight to my sword pommel.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
...ok, trailer music is considered a deal breaker now? REALLY?

EDIT: Also I find it kind of ironic how this thread is going.

OP "I don't like the song in this trailer so I'm not going to buy the game, here is a link to the trailer"

Posters "HOLY CRAP! I didn't know this game looked so awesome!"

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
So you watched a 3 and a half minute video for one and a half hour,so many times its music became boring to you,and you won't buy the game because now its music is boring to you ?

o_0

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
This is definitely the dumbest thing I read all week... seriously man, that's a feat, I was on youtube only minutes ago.

-You don't like the music? Fine. Its just a trailer

-You specifically hate 20 seconds of 3 minute trailer? Okay, a little bit strange, but it could easily spoil the appeal of the trailer. Still... it's just a trailer.

-You watched it 20~ times in an hour and a half? Quick bit of Math:
3 X 20 = 60

60 minutes... in an hour and a half you watched a 3 minute trailer for an hour.

Huh!?

-You also discount the context of the track, by separating the music from its contextual use, and then criticising it on its own merits.

Its a trailer! A compositional piece. Unlike a an Album, the music doesn't have to stand on its own. Its made to be atmospheric, not a stand alone work of art.

Your one of those people who gorges on stuff until you hate it, aren't you? Gluttonous.

okay, benefit of the doubt. Rereading your post I see you have spotted a cut version of the trailer, that basically uses the droning bass and percussion of those 20 seconds and ends with the screech. You also didn't wilfully watch them, they were forced on you by mandatory ad breaks during streaming. Okay. Yeah, that could get annoying.

Still, has nothing to do with either Beth or Arkane. The hurried out a cut version of a larger trailer for those ad spaces are usually done after the initial trailer is made, and the "context" is lost on the chopping board.

Also, ads are generally ignorable. At least where I live. Computers have yet to strap me down and peel my eyelids open while cramming ads into my noggin.

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
I like that song. I want to hear the whole thing.

What I don't like is being forced to watch 30+ seconds of advertising every time I watch any video anywhere on the internet. But then again this is a microcosmic annoyance in a world filled with real problems, so I don't let it bother me.

Meanwhile, what's Dishonored anyway? I haven't cared about Bethesda since they've scratched my Elder Scrolls itch.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
I am nost sure whats going on on this thread, could someone explain to me the facts so far? I am kind of lost...

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
You know, I am kind of lost too and I started the damn thing. Guys, I was just griping about a bad 30 second spot I had to listen to over and over and over that was repetitive in the first place.
...and hurt my ears a bit...

Some people got that it was because the ads don't get mixed up and that, in this very specific situation, that caused a repeated tune to go out the window in the middle of the night. That in itself was not the Escapists' fault as it's happened before with other ads that didn't drone like Dishonored's does.

Since the publisher is traditionally in charge of the marketing of a game, and that includes approving ads, it's ultimately their fault that a 30-second version of that ad can cause headaches with multiple hearings of that.... ugh, I still have a headache.

---

And no I didn't send a gripe letter to Bethesda! Griping is best left for forum topics that shouldn't have gotten more than ten replies. My original post had very little real substance, do you guys just love to jump on the hate convoys or something?

Edit: Actually, this made me think that I should actually point out the constant repeating as a bug to the Escapist... dull drumming aside, I'm sure they have more than one game sponsor so seeing the same ad over and over might be a bug.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Gotta admit, the last note of that ad is a little bit nails-on-chalkboard bad. The ear-raping volume hike of the ad itself doesn't do it any favors either.

I'm put off the game due to design-by-buzzword and forced first-person perspective, though.

captchasolve: time will tell
Hit the nail on the head there. I'm not sure about this game yet.

Mar 20, 2010
Pebkio said:
Dear Bethesda, publisher of Dishonored (and I'm sure a few other things):

You really needed to have considered the music you used for your advertisement for Dishonored. I watch a fair bit of online videos, and even go watch the archives of old series, like There Will be Brawl (created by Zach Grafton and presented by the professionals at The Escapist Magazine), and I have to say, you made a really really bad choice in music.

Now, I thought your game looked cool; like a first-person Assassin's Creed. I was, for lack of a better word, interested in what you had to offer. But, after watching it for the 20th time in an hour and a half, I have to say I hate your game your little dog too. Y'see now, I have to go build a ship and then flip it upside down at sunset just to escape "these dull drums". I'm not going to buy your game no matter how cool you make it look, because like Pavlov's lab assistant, I go into a painful seizure every time I hear that riff "nyeeer bom bim bom bim bom bim bom bim bom bim bom bim bom bim nyeeerSCRAAAAAATCH". Over and over... over and over...

In other words: Your music's bad and you should feel bad.
I am absolutely in love with that song you are talking about. It makes my bones chill every time i hear it and I feel like it fits with the tone of the game verily ever since I've played it at pax. It's a beautiful piece of music my friend.

Catrixa

May 21, 2011
You know, I'm not a huge fan of that ad either. But, if I've learned anything about ads, it's that they don't tell you crap about a game. I've seen some pretty hideous ads for some pretty awesome games (for reference, see jbm1986's post with the ad for GW2. I don't even know what they were going for with that ad, but GW2 is awesome).

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
I am honestly surprised ...

This was Monday: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.387695-The-Escapist-Paid-for-by-Blizzard
And you still managed to pull something even more ridiculous, OP. Congratulations, I guess?

JonnyHG

Nov 7, 2011
Pebkio said:
I couldn't find an exact match, but the closest is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcSc4uBc3nQ
The short ad I've been seeing over and over and over starts at 0:30, plays that music until what you hear at 0:50 then ends the thing with a horrible screeching guitar noise. Oh, and you don't hear the gameplay sounds like you do in the youtube video. Basically, the ad in front of all of these videos is that dull beat over and over, no children's voice or anything until the end when it suddenly screeches at you.
I would just like the point out that the most liked comment with 52 likes is 'came for the song'.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Dear random customer,

We talked to the marketing department, who talked to the guys who planned the advertisement. They responded with this picture:

We apologize for any inconvenience and hope you will continue to buy our games.

Bethesda

Honestly if that was what put you off their game, they probably don't want you buying their game since you're likely one of those guys who makes tons of trouble over small things and makes their lives miserable.