Dear Escapist: Board looks even uglier. Please fix.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008

Sorry I had to. But in all seriousness, instead of making a thread insulting the people who took the time and effort to design and code this new layout, you could offer some constructive criticism.

What don't you like?
What would you change?
Why would you make these changes?

Also there's the Redesign Group [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Escapist-Redesign-Information] to voice your opinions too.
Keep in mind that this has also gone through the Pub Club for the last week as well. And there is a staff new post [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118792-Forum-Upgrades]about it too so it's not a complete and total surprise.

Sep 14, 2009
besides the bar being gray, it is actually much better than all the other updates i have seen thus far, so if that could be customized/go blue, that'd be perfect.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Go to that "Toggle forum layout" at the bottom and stop complaining.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
I would personally like to see the flag button moved away from the quote button. Report buttons belong nowhere near one of the most used button on the forums

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Soggy Toast said:
hazabaza1 said:
Go to that "Toggle forum layout" at the bottom and stop complaining.
But that doesn't fix anything!
Mine looks normal to me. I had the new layout for a bit, changed it, and bam, regular old Escapist.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm gonna end up quoting the wrong people for the next week or so, before I get used to the user bar being above the avatar.

The light grey together with the white lacks much needed contrast though. Change the colour to something darker and it'll be fit as a fiddle.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
TimeLord said:
Any word on when the toggle is getting turned off? I'm a nostalgic bastard so I'm enjoying the forums in the form I've grown used to for as long as I can. :p

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
I was gone for a few hours, came back, pressed refresh,'woah.'

I like it, just...I don't know, it's nice. I do like that they've gotten rid of the 'reply' button and it served no purpose other than to confuse newbies.

(As others have said, the flag should probably be moved. I don't know where, maybe beneath the Avatar again. That one is way too close to a frequently used button.)

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Redlin5 said:
TimeLord said:
Any word on when the toggle is getting turned off? I'm a nostalgic bastard so I'm enjoying the forums in the form I've grown used to for as long as I can. :p
Could you nostalga us a bit further back? I haven't liked the layout for the past YEAR.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Could you nostalga us a bit further back? I haven't liked the layout for the past YEAR.
No. This is the first change I've actually cared the most about. I'm fine with all the homepage shuffling.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Redlin5 said:
TimeLord said:
Not sure. I assumed it would disappear when it was released to the entire site like the previous update. I can't imagine it would stay for very long.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Redlin5 said:
FalloutJack said:
No. This is the first change I've actually cared the most about. I'm fine with all the homepage shuffling.
Alright, alright... Do the Timey-Wimey and lemme know how it turns out.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Please tell me they aren't going to take away the toggle.

Everything is way to bloated and flat. It looks like a kid who just learned how to format tables and no design clue. The entire thread is the same color with just a value change, the left panel with the usernames/avatars and all that takes up a ton of space, oh and did I mention the entire thing looks bloated?

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I'll just copy what I wrote in Matthews thread.

piinyouri said:
It actually looks better. This coming from someone who almost always hates when a change is made to anything(because it's usually t needed or needlessly complicates things) but this makes the site look quite a bit nicer, cleaner, and easier to navigate.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
It looks odd to me, but maybe that's because the forums were what had changed less since I joined, but anyway I just think it looks odd.

Edit: I went to WarCry just to see how the forum used to look, and even that's changed and since it isn't configured to it's interface it looks all weird.

GrimGrimoire

Aug 11, 2011
I like it. A lot actually. Greater freedom to customise it would be nice, but it doesn't really matter.
It looks... clean.