Dear Esther Review

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Dear Esther Review

Dear Esther is a haunting, unique game that favors narrative over gameplay.

Read Full Article

Feb 13, 2008
Dear Esther is both Art and a Game.

Some people ask why the Mona Lisa is famous; this game isn't for them.

Those that can see her smile will love Dear Esther.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I played the original when it was really visually basic. It sounds like it has been given a fresh coat of paint. :) The original was compelling as all hell, and this sounds to be no different.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
What makes this game has, above any other medium, is the story told through the environment.

Unlike any other medium, this game can draw you in and show you a story, as well as telling it to you.

No other game has truly drawn me in so much that I genuinely felt that I was on this lonely island, trying to unravel it's meaning.

nayrbarr

Aug 11, 2010
Like Firia, I played the original a while back. I liked the idea, but it was somewhat... sloppy. It's good that this iteration is out and hope that they have, at it appears, improved upon the original's shortfalls.

cardinalwiggles

is the king of kong
Jun 21, 2009
this reminds me of just a book. put to a game surrounding so you explore what the narrator is saying and im excited at that prospect. like audio book is reading it this seems like a further step. may i just say it looks amazing and those graphics make me want to cry. i'd love to just spend all dday on that island i may pick it up if it gets cheaper as i don't want to pay 6 pounds atm (starving student) but i like all about this

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
it is really interesting, only downside, it is to expensive for such short walk.

but can we even call this game? there is no gameplay at all. you are experiencing a story in a virtual world, but you aren't interacting with anything. it is what you can call a virtual experience, but for some reason we are still calling it a game...

QtheMuse

May 23, 2010
No he was actually refering to Commander Shepard.

"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite abandoned island on the Citadel."

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Dear Esther is amazing, but it's not a game. It's an interactive story. It's completely drowning in atmosphere with it's beautiful scenery, brilliantly delivered poetic narration and unbelievably stirring music. The story also leaves a lot of questions to ponder and has far more to it than meets the eye. It more than warrants more than one run through. But that's no problem, it only takes about an hour to get through. Gamers should experience Dear Esther, along with everyone who is interested in unique forms of storytelling, but do not make the mistake in thinking that this is a game. There are no mechanics given to you to complete any kind of goal. It should not be thought of as a game, but it is something that really should be experienced.

Feb 13, 2008
blackdwarf said:
it is really interesting, only downside, it is to expensive for such short walk.
A short walk through Disneyland will cost you a lot more than £7.

but can we even call this game? there is no gameplay at all. you are experiencing a story in a virtual world, but you aren't interacting with anything. it is what you can call a virtual experience, but for some reason we are still calling it a game...

Similar controls, no interaction...if that's a game...

Less controls, no interaction, still a game.

Your interaction in this is also your movement - that's why it fools a lot of people.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Will wait for it to be on sale...

Did anyone here play Trauma? Also a narrative story, but with actual puzzles to solve!

Keneth

Oct 14, 2011
blackdwarf said:
but can we even call this game? there is no gameplay at all.
The "Gameplay" here is very subtle in that it takes place outside the game itself. You're not trying to save the princess or kill all the terrorists. You're basically trying to figure out what this place really is. Who are Esther and Donnally? Who painted these symbols all over the place? What do they mean? Is this place even real?

Of all the games I've played it gave me a feeling most similar to Myst. That feeling of wonder at exploring and finding new bits about what this place actually is and trying to fit those bits together into some kind of coherent whole.

The reviewer is right though. This game just won't click for a lot of people. It's much more cerebral then your common game. Anyone going into it expecting action and cheap thrills will be sorely disappointed. With the proper mindset however, this is a beautiful and fascinating experience.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
sshakespeare said:
visually a very good looking game, this is what skyrim should have looked like
Fun fact. That's the Source Engine. Compare the mod release to the commercial release.
Same engine, different years. And Source can still manage to produce fantastic results.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I don't know that I'd quite call it a game, honestly. It's more like a an artsy movie but with less pretension. But it's not really a movie, because you actually control the player. I'm not sure what to classify it as.
Except maybe an extremely interesting experience.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Dear Esther is both Art and a Game.

Some people ask why the Mona Lisa is famous; this game isn't for them.

Those that can see her smile will love Dear Esther.
I think you mean... those that can see the genius behind her weary smile
and the deliberate screw-ups in the scenery behind her will love Dear Esther.

Yeah... it is indeed a work of art.

This is exactly the kind of thing I love to rub in people's faces when they tell me either...

A) Games don't or can't tell engaging stories.

B) Games, as a whole, can never be art.

or

C) All of the above.

Dear Esther is one of those wonderful games that so brilliantly proves them wrong.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Dear Esther is utterly beautiful, although I agree that it's not for everyone. That said, I've yet to talk to someone who didn't marvel at the intricketly crafted atmosphere of the caves. Whatever you think of the narrative, the enviroment is enough to make even the likes of games such as Skyrim envious.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
sshakespeare said:
visually a very good looking game, this is what skyrim should have looked like
Fun fact. That's the Source Engine. Compare the mod release to the commercial release.
Same engine, different years. And Source can still manage to produce fantastic results.
It's no secret that Valve was well ahead of its time with the Source engine. Portal 2 is a testimony to that.

blackdwarf said:

Interesting that you should raise a monetary issue. This is actually cheaper than going to a movie in my local theatre. Also, if you buy a cup of coffee and a snack at Starbucks, you'll also pretty quickly come to this price. With that in mind, I think such an emotional journey is a steal at this price.