Dear Esther Review

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
This game may not have interaction but this would constitute as a game, maybe not one that everyone is familiar with but this is a game. It has a goal, you have control over someone, you have a story given to you as you progress.
Myst had puzzles which this game does not have so is some senses it is like Myst but in other senses it is not like Myst.

Or at least that is what I think.

Dec 14, 2009
Just finished playing it.

Was a nice experience, nothing amazing, but different enough for me to feel satisfied.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
I played a few minutes of this on an old desktop a few days before it went kaput.

Never re-installed it on a computer, though, just never came to mind. This looks even more compelling and interesting than that first mod I played all that time ago. I can't help but think this is the kind of game I wish the CryEngine was being used for. Shooters are nice, but too hectic to really appreciate the detail involved, imo. Not enough downtime.

Probably gonna pick this one up.

(side note- I'd really like to see Yahtzee review this game)

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
To me this game felt like a very bad book being read aloud while i explored some uninteresting enviroments where nothing ever happens. I fail to see why this game is getting such positive reviews, everything is overly convoluted and filled to the brim with purple prose. I have a probem with this game/story on so many levels. Everything is so bleak, empty and overly serious. There doesn´t seem to be any room for anything resembling humanity. I just really hated every second of this game, it´s basically everything that´s wrong with games trying to be taken seriously outside of gaming circles.

dennyaaa

Jul 31, 2009
I really like this game, it reminds me of a simple time, before every game on the market had to feature some kind of action for players to enjoy. If you like this title, check out "The Stanley Parable" which also is a HL2 mod that will require plenty of playthroughs... Just like this brilliant piece of gaming art.

DTH1337

Feb 27, 2012
This looks like a very interesting first person experience. Might buy it and see if it is really amazing as many people have already said.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
10 euros is too much for a short game. And Dear Esther isn't even that good a game. It's average. The Stanley parable, for instance is better.

nazgull2k1

Apr 14, 2009
The "Game" isnt a "Game" at all. There is zero challenge, zero depth, zero risk. You walk .. WALK from 1 side of a DESERTED ISLAND to another. I dont care how "pretty" the visuals are.. I can see better anytime I want by simply walking out my front door.

Bottom line is this "game" isnt worth paying for. Ever.

mjcabooseblu

Apr 29, 2011
nazgull2k1 said:
The "Game" isnt a "Game" at all. There is zero challenge, zero depth, zero risk. You walk .. WALK from 1 side of a DESERTED ISLAND to another. I dont care how "pretty" the visuals are.. I can see better anytime I want by simply walking out my front door.

Bottom line is this "game" isnt worth paying for. Ever.
Clearly you and I have been presented different games, because the focus of Dear Esther isn't the graphics. Or maybe you just completely missed the point.

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
Actual art bores kids. That's why games which are art are so convenient, kids don't have to feel ignorant anymore - their toys cover that! But unfortunately, those are still toys.

IvoryTowerGamer

Feb 24, 2011
While I enjoyed the experience of playing Dear Esther, I can't help but feel a little twinge of disappointment when people tout this as a shining example of how games can be art. Nearly all of the artistic aspects of Dear Esther can be replicated in other mediums. Meanwhile, the one great strength of video games (interaction) is arbitrarily limited.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
Here's a simpler one:

Dear Esther is a more complicated version of this; with better view, a randomised monologue, a storyline and a haunting soundtrack.

Why does that make it so difficult to call it a game?
Actually I don't see why the above is a game at all. There's a goal, I suppose, but where are the choices (IE the opportunities for interaction)? By the above logic couldn't the "virtual tours" you sometimes see on museum websites also be considered games?