Dedicated Browncoats Want to "Help Nathan Buy Firefly"

House_Vet

Dec 27, 2009
HankMan said:
*Gets out check-book*
I'll sign and you fill out whatever amount you need.
FalloutJack said:
I was actually told about this last night. It's a very cool idea. Hope it comes to some fruition.
I sent them a tip on this around two o'clock in the afternoon: I saw it on a comment on hulu. I gotta admit I'm a little disappointed that the news team didn't pick-up on this sooner. I was afraid I was gonna have to right this article myself.
JediMB said:
I'd donate my love and my land for this.
I'll see your love and land and raise you a boiled sea!
Well screw you, cos you can't take the sky from me!

Aug 25, 2009
Needs Whedon on board.

Also, there is no way to express just how conflicted I am over this. While on the one hand Firefly is perhaps one of my favourite shows ever of all time, I love Nathan Fillion in castle, and would hate to see him leave that show.

I don't know much about people doing several shows at once but from what I've heard it's very rare outside of cameos, and often leads to all sorts of conflicts. Firefly only lasted for 14 episodes, not even a full American season, which meant that it still had time to become absolutely awful. Sure it could also have gone on to literally be the greatest show of all time, but would you really take the risk now? We got 14 episodes of the highest quality and most fun of almost any tv ever, and I wouldn't want to risk that memory getting soured seven years down the line.

Castle is a good show right now, and so far it hasn't shown any signs of slowing down or breaking that run. Whedon is notorious for eventually having his shows turn to death terror and heartache, and the amount of people who complain about seasonal rot after even two seasons of Dollhouse should make all fans very very wary of anything Whedon goes near.

If they do have Whedon it will eventually turn into a heartbreaking misery run, for example did you know that Inara was apparently suffering from a terminal illness? And Wash's and Book's deaths would have occured anyway, Whedon admits the script he submitted for Serenity originally was everything he wanted to do, and he just trimmed it back from their, so wash and Book would not be saved, and this is a Whedon production, so you just know that some sort of ridiculously contrived coincidence would have got Simon about an episiode after he got together with Kaylee, just so River could go bezerk and kill everyone.

But without Whedon, it would be a fan show, and that would be even worse.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Hey, Felicia Day liked it on Facebook too :D

I'm way more excited about this than is sensible.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Yes, just yes. The only show I'm adamant about and the only one I've ever bought. If I had any kind of a good relationship with the man upstairs I would be on my knees right now.

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
there has been a lot of buzz going around about Firefly for a long time. People keep bringing it up and talking about it. I firmly believe something is bound to happen for Whedon, Fillion and the series. People who work in television and film production cannot ignore popular buzz like this for too long.

Since hollywood has been in this status of reboots, rewrites and continuations, one would think that by now some big shot producer would approach Whedon with a blank check and say, "Here, do whatever you need to." It's as if producers are digging in a mine avoiding the diaminds for the rocks. Sense, it makes none.

Producers keep searching for stuff to dig up, work on and turn a decent profit with yet they keep ignoring the very loud cry from the fans, director and the actors of the show. I mean come on, how many production projects do you know of that come with a talented and dedicated staff ready to go? Continue Firefly or do another Serenity and you already have taken care of most of the pre-production phase and can get write into the heart of things.

PS: I just noticed I typed "write" instead of "right". Heh, it may be viewed as a bad/cheesy attempt at a pun but I'm going to leave it.

Phantomess

Sep 19, 2009
JediMB said:
I'd donate my love and my land for this.
You, sir, win in my opinion.

But yes, I would donate for this. If there's a promise I'll see Mal saunter back on my screen, his gun low-slung and scowl in place, then I'm SO there. It'd be wonderful to have my Captain back. :) *has happy thoughts for the rest of the day*

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
You know, as much as I love Firefly and would jump at the chance to see more of it, I can't help but wonder whether the show would get this much attention if it ran for the 4+ seasons the creators were hoping for. Any show that runs for that long will have high and low notes as actors and writing teams change, and Firefly was lucky enough to be brought to a close on a high note. Even without jumping the shark, a show that needs new stories every year shows cracks in its quality. Look at the runs on Battlestar Galactica, Supernatural, Sopranos, and of course, The Simpsons. As sad as I am when a great show ends, it's an infinitely greater disappointment to watch a good show slowly lose track of the elements that made it great in the first place. Firefly on the other hand, was cancelled in its prime, and got an excellent movie for a series finale. (Happened to Star Trek as well, but that franchise needed two full movies to start getting good again.)

That's not to say a new series would be bad, or that I wouldn't watch it. But my expectations would be through the roof if Firefly got a new lease on life.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Also: CNN Source fail:

When reading a story about an army of internet fans willing to pledge thousands of dollars to resurrect a nine-year old television show, an ad links to "Impact the World/Take Action" pages on the needs of people following the Earthquakes and Floods of the past two months....

I loved Firefly, but that does put a slightly different spin on it...

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
They need to get FreddieW on board.

All I really need to say

I would probably watch the Firefly Webshow religiously

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
I'd go for this, just as long as they
retconned out Wash's death/set it before the events of Serenity/ignored the movie completely. the show wouldn't be the same without Alan Tudyk.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Here's a blank check with my name and signature on it. Fill in any number you can think of, and I shall pay it. NOW GIVE ME MOAR FIREFLY!!!11111!!!11111!!1!!1!oneoneoneone!!!!!