Deep Silver Apologizes for Mutilated Dead Island Torso

mgirl

Mar 29, 2011
Slayer_2 said:
mgirl said:
Nothing apart from the sexualisation of a dismembered corpse, and how selling something like that with a game, with all the fire gaming is currently getting from the media about how it warps the minds of children, might not be the best idea. I am amazed that whoever decided that they were gonna do this didn't see this coming, and didn't see how phenomenally stupid they were being.
Out of curiosity, would you be offended if the bust was of a muscular male, perhaps with a well filled out speedo on? Anyone who lets their kid play Dead Island (A 17+ game) is a terrible parent anyhow.

Would I ever want the thing? No. But that's not a reason to rally against it.
I know I would find it a stupid marketing move and incredibly tasteless whether the bust was male or female. As for offended, well, I don't know if I really feel 'offended' by the fact it was a female bust, it was everything else about it that made me feel uncomfortable. Yeah, children shouldn't be playing these games anyway, but that doesn't stop the news outlets from viewing gaming as a childish hobby, and this sort of image isn't helping.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Well, I for my part liked it and I still want it. If they don't make it, I will.

Complete with Al Qaeda bikinis.

If they pull it, it's no sale from me, and I'll make sure to negatively impact their sales on any future offerings. I don't deal with collaborators of oppressive regimes and the thought and good taste police.

Hey, I really take offense at censorship and being told what some random ass thinks is not proper for me to consume, enjoy or have fun with. I am not part of Al Sharpton's cult, I am not part of any cult. My brain is free to roam.

Django Unchained figurines are now very limited run collectibles thanks to frothing Al Sharpton and his National Ass Association and some Muslim activist no one ever heard of before and I really can't be bothered to look up now.

Big 'melonfarm you!' shout out to Spike Lee for going full Taliban retard on Django Unchained - which he refuses to see due to him respecting his ancestors. Way to keep up the struggle for eternal division, you melonfarming son of a melonfarmer.

Way to bend your amazingly bendy rubberneck backs, Weinsteins.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Company makes a game in which you beat, bludgeon, dismember and behead legions of people, yet a bust of a dismembered female torso in a bikini needs to be apologised for?

You know I'm starting to see why the rest of the world thinks games make people psychotic.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
mgirl said:
I know I would find it a stupid marketing move and incredibly tasteless whether the bust was male or female. As for offended, well, I don't know if I really feel 'offended' by the fact it was a female bust, it was everything else about it that made me feel uncomfortable. Yeah, children shouldn't be playing these games anyway, but that doesn't stop the news outlets from viewing gaming as a childish hobby, and this sort of image isn't helping.
It's just... the game has this stuff in it. IE, dead people, many of them previously attractive and wearing very little. I think this guy said it best:

Company makes a game in which you beat, bludgeon, dismember and behead legions of people, yet a bust of a dismembered female torso in a bikini needs to be apologised for?
I mean, I think it's stupid, but I think that about all action figures and such. They just aren't my thing, again, doesn't mean I'm gonna get pissed off over it. I just won't buy it.

The media thinks many stupid things, let them. It's rub by a bunch of rich old people who don't understand these new fangled things, and it's happened with every new thing (rock and roll, TV, etc). You can't do much about it, just wait till they wisen up.

mgirl

Mar 29, 2011
Slayer_2 said:
The media thinks many stupid things, let them. It's rub by a bunch of rich old people who don't understand these new fangled things, and it's happened with every new thing (rock and roll, TV, etc). You can't do much about it, just wait till they wisen up.
Yeah, I know, but the problem is is that these old rich people who don't understand new fangled things still have a lot of influence, but I know it'll stop being a problem in the end.

I do understand why thinking it was a tasteless thing to sell with a game should not mean that it should be banned, or they should be stopped from selling it, but the reaction it got does indicate that maybe there needs to be some changes in the way games are marketed.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
mgirl said:
Yeah, I know, but the problem is is that these old rich people who don't understand new fangled things still have a lot of influence, but I know it'll stop being a problem in the end.

I do understand why thinking it was a tasteless thing to sell with a game should not mean that it should be banned, or they should be stopped from selling it, but the reaction it got does indicate that maybe there needs to be some changes in the way games are marketed.
They do for now, but the likelihood of them stopping or even hindering a multi-billion dollar a year industry is very small. Money talks ever so slightly louder than mid 50's, white men with stupid outdated ideas.

I agree many games are marketed like the target audience is comprised solely of 13 year old boys thinking with their smaller heads. And it's stupid. But I find marketing usually is. Stupidity is attention grabbing, no? See this example.

Darkbladex96

Jan 25, 2011
Klagermeister said:
Darkbladex96 said:
Kind of tired of these pussy ass devs.

Oh look at this we released this bad ass thing that is probably going to get hated on, but it's just so awesome.

*2 weeks of hate*

Dev apology: Oh we are so sorry for using our time and resources to give you this thing that you aren't entitled to but we thought would be nice for you to have. We apologize for hurting your wittle fweengs, we didn't mean make you piss your pants can call you mama over a piece of mutilated plastic representing a zombie game.
ungrateful idiots
It's not just that it's in poor taste. It's just so esoteric that not many people would buy it.
They had literally dozens of other iconic images/objects/characters to make a collector's edition out of, and they chose one that, without a doubt, VERY few people would even want.

Wouldn't you be pissed off if you waited ages for these editions to come out and saw how... god-awfully ugly it was?
It's like they didn't even use that survey info they gathered.

There were many things that would have been much better to include that more people would have wanted.
This wasn't just a poor PR choice; this was a poor choice in marketing.
It's if its in bad taste than the entire game is in bad taste because axing bikini zombies is most of the game. Of course it's esoteric...if you're not a dead island fan/ zombie game fan that also happens to be a collector you probably wouldn't buy this.

Unless they took poll results and purposely picked the least liked selection and used that your statement on what people would want is just talking out of your ass.

Well that argument falls flat because ugly is subjective. I personally think that the bust looks kick ass and would love to own one.