Define RPG

Zeekar

Jun 1, 2009
I think the problem here is that any definition for RPG asides from a simple dissection of the acronym (I know RPG isn't an acronym, I just can't think of the right word for it and everyone will get what I'm saying anyway) is going to say "My definition of RPG is:"

It has become an opinion at this point. Despite what you might think from the name, RPGs just aren't RPGs anymore for some people if it doesn't contain high customization of stats, random encounters and a turn based battle system.

The more RPGs come to resembling just Roleplaying a good character (and being more action game than RPG), the more people realize that all games are sort of RPGs anyway, so Roleplaying game as a definition is useless.

Archangel768

Nov 9, 2010
I said it in another thread not too long ago but, I'll put it here so you can read.

"I think the RPG term has changed in meaning. As in from it's transition from its table top origins to video games the meaning has been altered. This is of course why we see WRPG and JRPG SRPG etc. The requirements to be considered an RPG became less restrictive allowing different types of video games to be under the RPG category and technically a sub genre of the RPG.

To me, no video game fits the true definition of what RPG originally stood for back in the pen and paper days and instead fall into the sub genres that were defined when video games came about, WRPG, JRPG, SRPG. etc.

I see this as similar to what words like 'gay' and '******' where gay originally meant happy and ****** originally meant a branch/twig. Todays society has taken those words and changed them to mean homosexual instead. If you were to tell someone that you just meant a branch when you said ****** they would most likely not believe you meant that and instead intended to insult someone or otherwise.

In my opinion the term RPG has been altered to suit the video game industry and in that sense I can consider, WRPG, JRPG and SRPG and the like, to all be considered RPGs but not by the traditonal meaning.

I think that arguing over which games are a 'true' RPGs is pretty pointless as the meaning has changed so that games such as WRPG and JRPG both legitimately (in my mind) fall into the RPG category." And none of which in my opinion would fall under the 'true' pen and paper definition.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
To me, an RPG is a game where I can define a character's role to some extent. That is kind of vague, so to continue I want to be able to actively influence particular statistics that determine what kind of character I play as.

A game where you choose what kind of gun you use or what one special ability you have in a PvP FPS? Not an RPG.

A game where you develop skills by using them and become a specialized type of character that is better at certain things than other characters? An RPG.

Wilko316

Jun 16, 2010
Role Playing Game ...
Your view, like many others, is simply a Fantasy RPG. This is what many RPG's tend to be because WoW took over the RPG genre, now most developers are trying to make WoW clones.
I'm sure there are Fantasy RPG games that aren't WoW clones, but Fantasy (Warriors, Mages, Quests etc) is genereally what most RPG's are.

Fried_beans

Sep 14, 2009
I think, although they started with good ol' swords and monsters, RPG can apply to any game that involes the player putting their personality(or any personality) onto the character. Honestly it doesn't even have to involve leveling.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
In game terms, developing your character both physically and through his setting. When a game has "RPG elements" this is interpreted as mostly borrowing parts from the physical. This is why Japanese RPGs still count as such despite the protagonist of the setting has been pre-made for you.

Bobby_D

Jan 30, 2011
You should check out the Persona series by Atlus. (J)RPG games? Most definitely, but decidedly NOT pseudo-medieval. Also, they're just quirky and cool.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
An RPG is a role-playing game. Mass Effect and Fallout are RPGs because you can create a character and play them how you want (you can choose how you want them to fight, and whether you want them to be a beacon of righteousness or a child-smashing sadist).
So an RPG is a game where you can play a role, basically. Not one the game gives you, one you make for yourself. You play the game how you want to.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
vivalahelvig said:
Rocket Propelled Grenade.
Damn, you beat me to it. >_>

To me, basically any game that has leveling/customization aspects has RPG elements (including BioShock, STALKER, Fallout 3, etc). As for straight RPG, I guess Final Fantasy, Oblivion, Dragon Age... huh... maybe that's why I like Final Fantasy so much and don't care for other RPG's... FF doesn't do all the elf, goblin, and troll fairy shit like the others do...

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
A game where the player is free to decide their character's own history and personality, where the player can choose who he/she wants to side with and who they think they should fight for, a game where the player can experience their character gaining knowledge and learning new things and where choices have consequences.

Also OP, your view of RPGs seems weird, Fallout is not a third person shooter, you must have missed the melee weapons and unarmed weapons laying around. You also must have missed the dialogue options that allow you to talk your way out of situations.

To me personally Oblivion felt like a poor RPG. You had no choice in the main quest and there were barely any choices if any at all that affected the world in a major way. Also your character had no personality to develop and you couldn't even create your own history, not to mention being able to join all joinable guilds made no sense.

It just feels like an open action/adventure with RPG elements to me.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
To me, a game isn't a true RPG if it isn't a 90-hour turn-based grindfest. Of course, I was introduced to RPGs in the mid-90's, when Final Fantasy was more or less synonymous with the very concept of role playing games. Today, most people seem to cast a wider net over the term, but to me, if it's not classic, it just doesn't count.

TheBritishAreComing

Jul 19, 2011
In the end, an RPG is about freedom. Freedom to choose characters, skills, weapons, good or evil, etc. Particually where you go in the game world. So I consider Fallout 3 and Mass Effect RPGs.

Also, a Rocket Propelled Grenade, an anti-vehicle weapon most gamers are familiar with.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.301018-Is-the-Legend-of-Zelda-a-JRPG?page=4

Very related, we were having trouble pinning it down before.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
A game that places a great degree of importance on character development through both some kind of numerical system such as level/stats system, as well as literally through conversation choice and plot. The numerical part of an RPG is JUST AS IMPORTANT, if not more important, than the development that comes due to the writing.

I can't stand it when people who have only played Bioware RPGs after KOTOR1 and modern Bethesda RPGs like FO3 and Oblivion think the genre has to do ONLY do to with "roleplaying". It's a loose and poor definition that can end up encapsulating many games that no one in their right mind would consider RPGs (mine isn't perfect, but it is significantly more exclusive than most definitions in this thread). I honestly think people define RPGs like that so they can continue to classify the overly simplified, dumbed down, pieces of garbage pseudo-action games the modern, mainstream RPG genre as such. If you take all the numerical and stats building out of an RPG, you are just left with a crappy action game with okay writing. If you take all the literally and plot elements out of an RPG, then you are just left with a spreadsheet. THEY ARE BOTH IMPORTANT, AND BOTH NEED MENTIONING TO DEVELOP A PROPER DEFINITION OF THE GENRE.

You might be entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't mean I'm not entitled to an opinion about your opinion

Exodus666

Feb 3, 2008
I think the issue here is that the genres are getting blended together, a trend that will no doubt continue.

See if u agree with the following statements:

1. Fallout 3 is an RPG with Shooter elements.

2. Borderlands is a Shooter with RPG elements.

-Exo

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I don't exactly think RPGs are entirely based around "knights and quests". Look at Mother, it's the first RPG not to be set in medeival times - and it kicks ass.

My "thoughts" on RPGs:

A game where you can create a character, give them a personality, define their skills and talents, and then let 'em loose in a big, endless, immsersive world forcing them to make several choices.

I think an RPG's got to have some sort of freedom aspect.

But I think RPGs today are constantly being spliced in awkward ways. This worked with Fallout and (maybe) Dead Rising. And it doesn't work with Raimbow Six Vegas, CoD, Oblivion, or any other game claiming it's an RPG just because if you kill things you get better at killing things.

And I guess RPGs've got to have a focus on letting players handle things their own way instead of sticking them on a very boring, linear, straight path that completely lacks freedom.