DELETED

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
Anytime politics play into a popularity contest, the result is basically irrelevant.

Kinda like when popularity plays into a politics contest.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
What is it with people's need to always have to rank things? Especially when it comes to something as broad as games where we can hardly even nail down what the definition of a game is, how are we all supposed to decide which one is best? Surely games appeal to different people on different levels, you don't play an RTS for the same reason you play a walking simulator or a shooter, so can you even put them in the same list? And I suppose people play the same game for different reasons too. It's kind of like when someone asks me what my favorite song or band is. All I can answer is 'well... depends on my mood I guess'.

Something more prevalent in video games is the age. Do you distract points because a title is old or hasn't aged well? Or does it get bonus point for being a classic or setting trends? Do we praise Modern Warfare or condemn it for starting the trend of modern military shooters?
If someone were to push me and insist on naming a best game of all time I'd probably come up with something I haven't played in ages, while all I play now is stuff I rag on all the time. So why even bother with the list? I'd rather see a list of 'these ones in no particular order are really cool'.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Really? Then I assume it dose get better from dragging out stuff like the annoying overprotective goat mom.

Regardless people seem to get hung up on the "greatest game of all time" label. You can't have the objective "greatest" game. It's just a popularity contest with the the winner being the "greatest" in minds of majority of the people who voted.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Floppertje said:
What is it with people's need to always have to rank things? Especially when it comes to something as broad as games where we can hardly even nail down what the definition of a game is, how are we all supposed to decide which one is best? Surely games appeal to different people on different levels, you don't play an RTS for the same reason you play a walking simulator or a shooter, so can you even put them in the same list? And I suppose people play the same game for different reasons too. It's kind of like when someone asks me what my favorite song or band is. All I can answer is 'well... depends on my mood I guess'
Yeah, it's almost as if the contest cannot be taken seriously as a concept by its very nature. Almost as if it wasn't even meant to. Almost as if the flaw there should be really obvious. Yet, there it is, almost as if it wasn't expect anybody taking it seriously.

And you sound almost as if you did.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
DoPo said:
Floppertje said:
What is it with people's need to always have to rank things? Especially when it comes to something as broad as games where we can hardly even nail down what the definition of a game is, how are we all supposed to decide which one is best? Surely games appeal to different people on different levels, you don't play an RTS for the same reason you play a walking simulator or a shooter, so can you even put them in the same list? And I suppose people play the same game for different reasons too. It's kind of like when someone asks me what my favorite song or band is. All I can answer is 'well... depends on my mood I guess'
Yeah, it's almost as if the contest cannot be taken seriously as a concept by its very nature. Almost as if it wasn't even meant to. Almost as if the flaw there should be really obvious. Yet, there it is, almost as if it wasn't expect anybody taking it seriously.

I was talking about ranking things in general, not this one in particular. Or are you saying that all ranking contests are not meant to be taken seriously?

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
DoPo said:
Floppertje said:

I was talking about ranking things in general, not this one in particular. Or are you saying that all ranking contests are not meant to be taken seriously?