Demon's Souls - State of Play - PS5

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Everywhere I search shows State of Play happened back in August? But this new footage was released today (Can you resist the spoilers??) -

I've already put 200+ hours into the original, so to me this is more for comparison purposes. Yeah.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Everywhere I search shows State of Play happened back in August? But this new footage was released today (Can you resist the spoilers??) -

I've already put 200+ hours into the original, so to me this is more for comparison purposes. Yeah.
What do you think of them keeping the original UI?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Haven’t had a chance to watch the whole thing, but do they give an old/new option?
No idea I just saw a clip with the UI turned on and it looks like it works and reacts the same way the original did. Especially the way your life drains when you take a hit. It's very true to the original, but i don't know if that's exactly good or bad because I haven't played it.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I can't wait to play this and while the game looks absolutely stunning I can't deny some of the more otherworldly and sinister art-direction seems to be lost. From is just so talented at this that any effort to give these designs a makeover will inevatibly fall short. But none the less this is an absolutely killer launch title.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
It really looks good and as someone who only played a little of the original DS, I'm looking forward to playing it someday.

I've heard rumors it's gonna get a PS4 release as well, so I'm holding out for a bit to see if that ends up being true. I'm not planning on getting a PS5 for a while. Not until there are a couple exclusives I care about.

I am kinda sad that we're not gonna get the 6th archstone but I understand Bluepoint didn't want to create content FROM didn't originally make.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I can't wait to play this and while the game looks absolutely stunning I can't deny some of the more otherworldly and sinister art-direction seems to be lost. From is just so talented at this that any effort to give these designs a makeover will inevatibly fall short. But none the less this is an absolutely killer launch title.
Idk, the ogre from this trailer looks pretty gnarly. Flame Lurker was scarier in the original though. He had more of that old school horror vibe with better visible skull detail.

It really looks good and as someone who only played a little of the original DS, I'm looking forward to playing it someday.

I've heard rumors it's gonna get a PS4 release as well, so I'm holding out for a bit to see if that ends up being true. I'm not planning on getting a PS5 for a while. Not until there are a couple exclusives I care about.

I am kinda sad that we're not gonna get the 6th archstone but I understand Bluepoint didn't want to create content FROM didn't originally make.
Pretty sure this was built for PS5 from ground-up.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It does look really good, and I will pick it up (once PS5's are actually available), BUT I do feel there's this slick "generic" look to the visuals now. You could argue the same was true for the Shadow of the Colossus remake, but in that case the original was so lacking in detail or any sort of polish that it was totally worth trading in some of that atmosphere. With Demon's Souls though, I don't know. I mean, I see Latria and it just doesn't have the same eeriness. I have heard that there'll be a visual filter that tries to emulate the original's bloom lighting as closely as possible, so that would be nice.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Pretty sure this was built for PS5 from ground-up.
I get that, but I think Bluepoint specifically said they didn't feel it was right of them to make up content like the 6th archstone, at least not without FROM being heavily involved. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

And I'm guessing FROM is neck deep in whatever the hell is going on with Elden Ring.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
The new UI is ugly. It looks like it was made on powerpoint. Please tell me there is an option to emulate the old style.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The new UI is ugly. It looks like it was made on powerpoint. Please tell me there is an option to emulate the old style.
Yeah, it looks like an un-detailed placeholder.

I'm all for simplified UIs, I really like when they're just clean and out of the way, but this UI doesn't match the style of Demon's Souls at all, and the colors they chose are ugly and don't mesh with the color palette of the rest of the game.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
It's nice that lots of people who didn't get to play this will finally get their chance. But I fear that they will not like it since this is the easiets soul game by todays standards. Most of the bosses are gimmicks and the real difficulty really came from certain enemies and a claustrophobic level design. The game is more about atmosphere and presentation, rather than combat.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I get that, but I think Bluepoint specifically said they didn't feel it was right of them to make up content like the 6th archstone, at least not without FROM being heavily involved. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

And I'm guessing FROM is neck deep in whatever the hell is going on with Elden Ring.

I meant it won’t get a PS4 release from the sounds of it. FROM gave their blessing but yeah, they made the right call to respect the broken 6th.

Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It's nice that lots of people who didn't get to play this will finally get their chance. But I fear that they will not like it since this is the easiets soul game by todays standards. Most of the bosses are gimmicks and the real difficulty really came from certain enemies and a claustrophobic level design. The game is more about atmosphere and presentation, rather than combat.

It all depends on how they balance it. If anything it’ll be easier because the performance is much improved. Anyways, Valley and Stonefang to me were heads above Blighttown and Tomb of Giants in terms of difficulty navigating and dealing with status ailments. Latria’s three stages had me on edge far more than when playing through The Depths or Sen’s Fortress afterwards. I guess if people hadn’t played Demon’s first these areas might’ve been more problematic, but I remember feeling a mix of relief and disappointment that much of Dark Souls wasn’t all that challenging.

Even the bosses weren’t much of an issue. O&S for example were about the same for me as the Maneater in Demon’s (which I cheesed more often than not). What I liked about Demon’s Souls bosses was the gimmicks, as each of them felt like you could exploit some specific quality or feature compared to Dark Souls which was mostly just straight forward battles.

Dark was also far easier to Platinum, but that’s mostly because it was missing a lot of the obtuse stuff like tendencies and that insane Pure Bladestone drop rate. Although I also recall the crystal lizards were very unforgiving if you missed them (as in they had a limited number of appearances for a given playthrough whether you caught them or not), and you needed a lot of them for the unique weapon upgrades.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Part of the easiness of Demon's Souls came from having a basically endless supply of grass, so that you could top up after every fight. Since that's been rebalanced the game will be a bit harder overall.

The bosses are still much easier than the bosses of the later souls games. Maneaters and Flamelurker are easily the hardest bosses in the game and they would only be considered mid-tier for Dark Souls 3.

Still, not sure how I feel about doing Valley of Defilement without tons of grass. Will probably roll with a blessed weapon just for that section of the game.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Part of the easiness of Demon's Souls came from having a basically endless supply of grass, so that you could top up after every fight. Since that's been rebalanced the game will be a bit harder overall.
How is the grass any different from Bloodborne's blood vials?

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
How is the grass any different from Bloodborne's blood vials?
you could only carry a limited number of blood vials on your character and the rest went to storage. Thus giving you a finite amount of healing. Essentially like Estus but you had to restock.

The healing grass in Demons souls could be carried in theoretically infinite amounts so as long as you could find space to heal you could hypothetically survive anything.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
you could only carry a limited number of blood vials on your character and the rest went to storage. Thus giving you a finite amount of healing. Essentially like Estus but you had to restock.

The healing grass in Demons souls could be carried in theoretically infinite amounts so as long as you could find space to heal you could hypothetically survive anything.
Ah so there isn't an active cap on healing, despite being able to technically have 100's of vials in your storage. That makes sense then, but also isn't the healing grass like very slow in DS?