Depressing Realizations

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
That Stanley Kubrick or Alfred Hitchcock are no longer names everyone just knows.
Same with Wagner, Mozart, Beethoven, The Beatles, The Doors, Jim Morrison and other.

Greni

Jun 19, 2011
I just realized that there are people on the internet wallowing in self-loathing and guilt, feeling sorry for themselves and all coming generations for something that they can't affect in any way ever. They are just waiting for someone to slap them on the face telling them that they have the majority left of their lives and are spending it in the aforementioned state.

How fucking depressing.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
My friend was bragging about her daughter who's a model, telling me she was on one of those shopping channels modelling something. She got £500 for ten minutes work.
That's actually more than I usually earn in a month.

It's depressing that there's models who earn more than people who actually work hard, purely because they're attractive.
The tons of respect models seem to get too. For what? Being pretty? I don't get it. They could be dumb as fuck, but end up earning more than people with actual intelligence.

Captcha: don't waste time.

Hmmm. Good point. *makes myself attractive and becomes a high paying model*

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Woodsey said:
My friend linked me [a
href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_far_future]this timeline[/a] the other day. I really don't give a shit about dying; it's going to happen, there's nothing we can do, I certainly don't want to, but it doesn't plague my mind like it seems to with the majority of the planet. But still, seeing that does rather but things into a somewhat depressing (but also humbling) sense of perspective.

Try watching this, really. It takes that sense of perspective, and turns it into something amazing.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom

That, and I've accomplished nothing in my 24 years of life. I'm not anywhere near where I thought I'd be, I lack any sense of motivation to progress forward in what I perceive to be a dead-end existence, and my relationships with others have deteriorated to the point where I'd be better off alone. I've never held a job, though I'm trying to get one, and I've spent 4 years meandering through an associate's degree without any real sense of what the hell I want to or could bear doing with my life that would provide me with the necessary income to avoid starvation once my support system inevitably collapses.

Having said this, I'm still quite content to game/read/write/art/apply everywhere within 50 miles, maintaining a sense of blissful ignorance until said thoughts creep up.

More than a bit cliche', I realize this, but I suppose it's a common symptom of the human condition; judging by these posts at least.

Also, know what you're getting into with a potential partner. It's not sunshine and roses. Quite the opposite really. Be honest, follow your heart, all that nonsensethatisn'tnonsense.

3quency

Jun 12, 2009
Relish in Chaos said:
Oh yes, being sixteen. Christ that was four years ago now.
I remember that, everything spiralled into collapse and I became a big sad sack and died.

Oh wait. No it didn't.

Because I stopped goddamn moaning about how much my life sucked and started to work towards achieving positive goals.
You want to write? Fucking write! Not that hard! Yes you will suck at first, so get feedback and improve it so eventually it doesn't suck.

Being preoccupied with being all depressed and crap is a mug's game. You're young. You're in a country (presumably) where you can afford to live comfortably without the daily threat of death. You are alive.

The world is your goddamn oyster right now, go and make something out of it.

On a side note, whenever I feel all gloomy, I go watch this vid and feel better:

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
Rednog said:
That one day people will find a way to prolong life indefinitely and I will be long dead and buried.
Who knows, maybe they make a machine for restoring life to dead bodies and bring us back some day. Probably to torture and question us about our time and history, but still, we get to live.

OT: Yeah. Dying. I have to be cliche and predictable and go with that. I just hate things ending forever. I'll never see anything again. The people I love, video-games, music, all those simple things I enjoy and, of course, life itself... None of that. All gone. Nothingness.

Though it doesn't sound that bad, when you think about it... [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssf7P-Sgcrk]

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm going to die and leave a shallow legacy (if anything at all) which will last until everyone who ever knew me dies. Even if I were to become famous in some way, it wouldn't do much to make people remember me in the future. If I do end up having kids and that line goes on for a few generations, I won't be known in anyway to my surviving family members. This realization comes from the fact that my own family is either ignorant of where it came from or, apathetic. I want to know, I care but they didn't/don't. My hypothetical kids could end up feeling the same.

I've got another one: there's no way to quantum leap into the past or otherwise watch old memories/ experiences outside of the normal way. I have a crappy memory so it sucks that I can't remember everything I've ever experienced. The worst part though is how I can't see what could have been. I really wish the "What-If" machine was a real thing and I know I'm not the only person.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Change is a part of life, and something you need to accept. Things change for better or worse and everyone is subject to it. You don't have to like it but adapting to it is paramount to leading a decent life and not living in the past.

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
The fact that my dad has gotten diagnosed with about 2 years to live due to fucking cancer is quite depressing, especially since my mother had it when I was a kid and survived and the year before dad got diagnosed she had to do some risky heart surgery and managed to pull through that and now faith thought it would be fun to throw us yet another disease.

Oh, and the fact that I always get friendzoned no matter what.

LordFish

May 29, 2012
That my mother and father are going to die sooner than I want them too :'(

That genuinely occurred to my today and gave me a momentary downer

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
LordFish said:
That my mother and father are going to die sooner than I want them too :'(

That genuinely occurred to my today and gave me a momentary downer
I think of it this way: It's a lot worse if the parent out lives the child.

theLadyBugg

May 24, 2010
No matter how badly I want it, or how many hours I spend rehearsing and learning dance routines, I will never be a Korean pop star. I'm too old, too fat, and you know, not Korean.

Imthatguy

Sep 11, 2009
gNetkamiko said:
halfeclipse said:
All we've got waiting for us is the slow, but enetiveable heat death of the universe as it approaches maximum entropy, and the space of time life can reasonably exist in the universe is around 100 Trillion years.

100 billion years from now. the local group will destabilize, merging into one big galaxy, a trillion years after that galaxies will be red shifted far enough we wont be able to see them anymore (even the gamma rays they emit will have a wavelength longer then the observable universe.) 100 trillion years from now, the Stelliferous era will end, and no more stars will form. 10-20 trillion years after that the last stars (low mass red dwarfs.) will exaust the last of their fuel, cooling to white dwarfs, leaving the universe populated black holes, neutron stars and white dwarfs. In the absence of an energy source, these remnants will cool further, grow faint and except for rare events the last light in the universe will go out.

Over the next quadrillion years, the remaining orbits of the planets will decay, or be flung from the system, and over the next 100 Quintillion years the same will happen to the stellar remnants within the galaxies.

10 Decillion years later baryonic matter (Which includes protons and neutrons.) will begin to decay into photons and leptons, and by 10 Duodecillion years (10^40) this will have finished, leaving the universe to the black holes for the next 10^100 years as they slowly evaporate to nothing, leaving the universe effectively empty as it reaches true heat death.
Fuck me. Way to cause a huge downer. O.O

You certainly did your homework.
There is no evidence of proton decay and life still has a unbelievable amount of time left.

Be happy; that's an order.

mik1

Dec 7, 2009
even if I accomplish every goal I have for my life, it will all eventually amount to nothing.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
I will very likely have no say in my own death. The lack of control is what saddens me. Death seems alright in my book.