"Designer" names

The Bum

Mar 14, 2010
I've never understood why it's "Cool" or "Smart" to spell your childs name wrong or in a really odd way. I mean take "Zach", "Marc", "Karly" or "Cali" (as a shortening for Caluhan) for instance, I don't know about you, but that just bugs the hell out of me. (If your name is zach, or marc or you have a diffrent designer name, no offense intended.) It bothers me even more when spme one aussmes my name is spelled like a designer name, i just can't stand when they spell it Marc without even asking trust me happens alot more than you think. Also everyone I know. who has a designer name is a total douchebag, but that may be just my bad choice of acuintences. So, what do you think of designer names? Lov'em? Hate'em? Don't give a shit but want to talk anyway?

EDIT:Alright I admit that, on reflection Zach was a bad example.

EDIT:Again I am not asking what you think of the people, i'm asking what you think of the names them selves! NOR AM I SAYING THAT IF YOU HAVE A DESIGNER NAME YOUR A DOUCHE BAG I SAID EVERYONE I KNOW WHO HAS ONE IS A DOUCHEBAG!!!

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Zach or Zack is fine.
Hunter however, is not a name, let alone one appropriate for a young girl.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
The only person in the history of history that can get away with giving silly names to their children is Frank Zappa.

He had four and their names are:
Diva
Moon Unit
Dweezil and Ahmet Rodan.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I hate names that are puns (like naming a boy "Bounty" if his last name is "Hunter"), or cannon fodder for reticule when they're older. I also dislike what I guess you'd call "hippie" names, stuff like "Water Star Raven" or "Alastair Winter Frost." Also names spelled in ridiculous ways, like Shyann, Destinee, or Jaysun.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
It seems people are less capable of picking a normal name these days. One of my friends at work just had a baby boy. Named Jet.

To be fair, it was either that or Rex. I suggested she should have gone all the way and called him Fido. She didn't take it well.

I also went online looking for bad baby names [http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/13.html], just because of this topic. Thanks, that's what I needed today...

Sleekgiant

Redlin5 made my title :c
Jan 21, 2010
The Bum said:
Dudemeister said:
How is Zach a designer name?
It's short for Zachary isn't it?
Then why is it pronouced the same as zack?
English is a fucked up language, how about pseudonym, even though its pronounced sudonim.
Swollen Goat said:
I fucking hate it. I work with the public and it's such a pain in the ass to have to ask EVERY FUCKING PERSON how to spell their name because their parents wanted to make them unique. News flash-it's not special, it's just spelled wrong.

Here's the most retarded one I've seen to date: Ciial

That's pronounced 'Kyle'. I'dve stabbed my mom in the face if she did that to me.
Well the only time I have problems with it are the more ethnic names around Birmingham. Jarkeldruce is an actual name here.

fullbleed

Apr 30, 2008
What's also anoying is when people assume you spell your name in that fashion or try to.

"How do you spell Ryan?"
"Err, Ryan."

No one spells their name Rian!

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
i've never minded "odd" names, as long as they are actual names and not random words/sounds thrown together. i.e. names from other languages are fine. but then again, my name(s) is(are) somewhat unusual; my middle name, Jamin, which is what i go by, is hebrew (more commonly seen as the main body of the name Benjamin, though pronounced with a long A in this case). my best friends named their kids Wilek (an old irish/gaelic name) and Eowyn (saxon/lord of the rings).

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Lilani said:
I hate names that are puns (like naming a boy "Bounty" if his last name is "Hunter"), or cannon fodder for reticule when they're older. I also dislike what I guess you'd call "hippie" names, stuff like "Water Star Raven" or "Alastair Winter Frost." Also names spelled in ridiculous ways, like Shyann, Destinee, or Jaysun.
I don't see how Alastair is a hippy name. Sure, it's uncommon and perhaps more frequently used by hippies, but it's not a nature-related noun like most hippy-names. Speaking of which, I once knew a girl named Waterfall Moon (I'll refrain from mentioning her last name for the sake of privacy). She absolutely hated it and just had people call her Emma instead. I felt bad for her when she told me how much she'd been teased as a child for her real name.

OT: Yes, this can make me rage rather hard. Saw an episode of Pimp My Ride once with a girl whose actual name was Spechelle (pronounced exactly how you think). I slammed my head onto my desk and turned off the telly.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
fullbleed said:
What's also anoying is when people assume you spell your name in that fashion or try to.

"How do you spell Ryan?"
"Err, Ryan."

No one spells their name Rian!
Not to mention that that is actually a name: Rian, pronounced as Ree-ann.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Lilani said:
Bounty Hunter? Are you kidding, that would be an AWESOME name! Almost as good as Magnus Saint Vader, but still.

Edit: Double post, geh, sorry.