"Designer" names

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
SwimmingRock said:
Lilani said:
I hate names that are puns (like naming a boy "Bounty" if his last name is "Hunter"), or cannon fodder for reticule when they're older. I also dislike what I guess you'd call "hippie" names, stuff like "Water Star Raven" or "Alastair Winter Frost." Also names spelled in ridiculous ways, like Shyann, Destinee, or Jaysun.
I don't see how Alastair is a hippy name. Sure, it's uncommon and perhaps more frequently used by hippies, but it's not a nature-related noun like most hippy-names. Speaking of which, I once knew a girl named Waterfall Moon (I'll refrain from mentioning her last name for the sake of privacy). She absolutely hated it and just had people call her Emma instead. I felt bad for her when she told me how much she'd been teased as a child for her real name.

OT: Yes, this can make me rage rather hard. Saw an episode of Pimp My Ride once with a girl whose actual name was Spechelle (pronounced exactly how you think). I slammed my head onto my desk and turned off the telly.
I think the best I ever saw was from a Maury clip. Her name was "Forever," but she insisted it was pronounced "Fo'-evah."

The Bum

Mar 14, 2010
I really want to make a not particularly witty pun about "Spechelle" but it would totaly get my ass ban hammered

Sleekgiant

Redlin5 made my title :c
Jan 21, 2010
Swollen Goat said:
Sleekgiant said:
Well the only time I have problems with it are the more ethnic names around Birmingham. Jarkeldruce is an actual name here.
I'm not really a fan of 'odd' names either, but at least it's actually unique. I guess I'm only irritated when people change the spelling of common names to be 'special'. Actually, to those of you with that type of name: Do you like having a 'unique' spelling or does it annoy you having to spell it EVERY SINGLE TIME you have to give your name? I mean hell, my last name is hardly weird but whenever I order say, pizza delivery, I just give my name as Smith so I don't have to bother with spelling.
My last name is German and its hard for anyone to pronounce, its very tiresome having to correct everyone. I know your pain on that.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
The Bum said:
Really? Who?
His profile says Luigi, so I'm guessing its the Mario's brother kind of Luigi. I wonder if he has a brother named Mario. That'd be kinda tacky.

My name is a little odd in that my legal name is generally a nickname.

ctuncks

Oct 18, 2004
I worked for a Luigi once and he even had a brother, but his brother was called Umberto. Though we did sometimes joke how funny it would have been if he was Mario instead.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
I hate when people spell Shawn as Shaun. Where the hell did that u come from? I'm ok with Sean because thats how Sean Connery spells it and its physically impossible for me to have a problem with him.

Sleekgiant

Jan 21, 2010
Swollen Goat said:
Sleekgiant said:
My last name is German and its hard for anyone to pronounce, its very tiresome having to correct everyone. I know your pain on that.
It's funny, I learned the Smith trick from a friend of mine whose last name is Wojciechowski (pronounced whoa-juh-HOW-ski). That would suck.
Oh what a name :O

The Bum

Mar 14, 2010
Sleekgiant said:
Swollen Goat said:
Sleekgiant said:
Well the only time I have problems with it are the more ethnic names around Birmingham. Jarkeldruce is an actual name here.
I'm not really a fan of 'odd' names either, but at least it's actually unique. I guess I'm only irritated when people change the spelling of common names to be 'special'. Actually, to those of you with that type of name: Do you like having a 'unique' spelling or does it annoy you having to spell it EVERY SINGLE TIME you have to give your name? I mean hell, my last name is hardly weird but whenever I order say, pizza delivery, I just give my name as Smith so I don't have to bother with spelling.
I got that too, whenever someone spelles my name i have to say no, EK not CK

Sleekgiant

Jan 21, 2010
The Bum said:
Sleekgiant said:
Swollen Goat said:
Sleekgiant said:
Most people give up and say, how do you spell your name?

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
I feel that there's a fine line between creative spelling and I-can't-spell spelling, but like Hugo Black, the best definition I can give is that I know it when I see it. I don't mind being different or imaginative - a Y for an I, a K for a C, a random H here and there - but sometimes I can just look and know that the mother simply had no clue how to spell that name and just threw random letters together. Dante is especially vulnerable to this.

(But please people, for the love of FSM. There is only one way to spell Crystal. Stop messing with it!)

Crispee

Nov 18, 2009
I don't see the problem myself, my name is Kris, I usually mention the 'K' when I tell people my name and they usually remember it. It also differentiates me from people who share the pronunciation of my name. Also gives me cool initials.

The Bum

Mar 14, 2010
Sleekgiant said:
The Bum said:
Sleekgiant said:
Swollen Goat said:
Sleekgiant said:
Most people give up and say, how do you spell your name?
With mine they always aussume it's spelled the way they think it is and don't ask.

Interesting triva: When I tye my name in microsoft word one of the spell check suggestions that comes up is "Slime". No joke.

Danman1

Mar 27, 2009
Swollen Goat said:
Here's the most retarded one I've seen to date: Ciial

That's pronounced 'Kyle'.
Oh. Oh god. No. Just... Really? Ciial. Did the hospital say "Kyle" was already taken for that server?

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
Im on the fence about my name here...do you mean John...i hope not..we just name every first boy in the blood line that

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
Swollen Goat said:
Sleekgiant said:
See, I have a similar issue.
If someone calls me up, and asks for a "Mr. Rea" according to their piece of paper, they pronounce it "Ray" now I know the River Rea (Which I live near-ish to) is pronounced like that, but how the hell does Shashti from New Delhi know that?
And it gets worse when I try to explain that it's pronounced like "tea" or "pea" or "sea" they look at me like I'm insane to have an Irish name that follows logical gramattical conduct.

Sean isn't mangled as badly, but it's still a regular occurence that I spell my name for people, because nine times out of ten, it gets written as "Shaun", and the other time, I get asked "Irish or English spelling?" followeed by a dirty look when I say Irish.

OT: Designer names do annoy me, but Zach is actually the correct abbreviation of Zachariah, an old Hebrew name, I think.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
SnootyEnglishman said:
The only person in the history of history that can get away with giving silly names to their children is Frank Zappa.

He had four and their names are:
Diva
Moon Unit
Dweezil and Ahmet Rodan.
David Bowie called his son Zowie Bowie...so yeeeeeah. Not the only one who can get away with it XD. The son renamed himself by the way, can you blame him?

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
Celebrities give themselves crazier names... especially rappers and hip-hop artists....