"Designer" names

Phantomess

Sep 19, 2009
Sleekgiant said:
Zach is short for Zachariah, now take a name like oh I don't know Alabama Gypsy Rose for example.
I know a Zach, but his is short for Zachary.

As for names, people tend to spell mine with a J instead of a G. I don't care anymore, so long as they can say it, I don't mind how they spell it... but it was annoying when I was younger.

no oneder

Jul 11, 2010
I never had that problem. I know a Hannah, which I'm pretty sure it's not-normal for Hanna, or Anna maybe. Heck, even Ana.

My name is Kennedy, so it lends to a lot of confusion. People think I'm either a man or that it's my last name.

Apr 29, 2010
Sleekgiant said:
The Bum said:
Sleekgiant said:
Swollen Goat said:
Sleekgiant said:
Well the only time I have problems with it are the more ethnic names around Birmingham. Jarkeldruce is an actual name here.
I'm not really a fan of 'odd' names either, but at least it's actually unique. I guess I'm only irritated when people change the spelling of common names to be 'special'. Actually, to those of you with that type of name: Do you like having a 'unique' spelling or does it annoy you having to spell it EVERY SINGLE TIME you have to give your name? I mean hell, my last name is hardly weird but whenever I order say, pizza delivery, I just give my name as Smith so I don't have to bother with spelling.
My last name is German and its hard for anyone to pronounce, its very tiresome having to correct everyone. I know your pain on that.
I got that too, whenever someone spelles my name i have to say no, EK not CK
Most people give up and say, how do you spell your name?
Reminds me how most people don't get my name right the first time around. Or the second...or the third.

The Bum

Mar 14, 2010
Island said:
The Bum said:
Dudemeister said:
How is Zach a designer name?
It's short for Zachary isn't it?
Then why is it pronouced the same as zack?
Because all natural languages are irregular, meaning for every rule be it grammar, pronunciation, or punctuation there is most likely a lot of exceptions to that rule. Natural languages really just don't make sense, because like most cultural phenomenon there is no real design or construction per se it just grows, changes, and distorts over time. Also Zachary is Hebrew not English so the pronunciation may be different.

As for the thread question, i like strange names. In fact i may change my name to something altogether strange one day just for kicks.
Yeah, I'm probaly gonna end up changeing my name because it's so much nicer to go by Mark than marshal

Hateren47

Aug 16, 2010
These are the official correct Danish spellings of the lovely girls-name Majbrit:

Mai-Brit, Mai-Britt, Maibrith, Maibritt, Maj-Brit, Maj-Brith, Maj-Britt, Majabrith, Majbrit, Majbrith, Majbritt, Majbritte, May-Britt, Maybrit, Maybrith and Maybritt.

All the ones with an "I" or "Y" instead of "J" I find kind of annoying, but they are not really designer names. It's not like Shaqueenshaqa (pronounced Alexandra) which is just silly.

I don't think you can give a child a designer name here though. I remember a case where a mother couldn't name her son Kristophpher a some years back because "phph" in a name looks silly.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Friends don't let friends give their kids stupid names. My sons are getting one-syllable common "Biblical" names (even though I'm not Christian, I believe guys should have names like Mike and Dave and Tom, not the crap that boys are saddled with these days).

Daughters are getting Russian names just because I personally think they're quite nice.

fullbleed

Apr 30, 2008
I've been listening to a lot of Arcade Fire recently and now I want to name my daughter Laika, is that wrong?

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I don't really care much either way about 'designer' names. Trivun is my first name, and I've lived in England all my life. I was born here. Hell, I think I'm the only person in the UK with my full name (Trivun Luzaic) and probably one of about five people in the country with the name Trivun at all (if there are any others then they're most likely immigrants from Eastern Europe).

Nevertheless, my name isn't 'designer'. I was named after my grandfather who died years before I was born, by my dad who was born in England to Serbian immigrants. So yeah.

For the record, by the way, my favourite name is Niamh (pronounced like 'Neve'), which is an Irish girl's name meaning 'bright'. How many people in the UK, not counting Northern Ireland, are named Niamh? Not many. There are a few, true, but it's a pretty small number, either way. Not exactly 'designer' again, but it should prove the point that I don't generally mind odd names.

IrradiatedFish

Sep 24, 2010
Yeah, I gotta say I'm not a fan of all these weird new fandangled names.

Personally I prefer all those names that were a lot more common decades ago. I really like the name Eleanor.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I take offence to to you taking offence to Zach. Though, judging from your edit, plenty of other people did too.

The more outlandish names, yeah, some of those can get pretty weird. It's mostly celebrities, though, and "trendy" parents.
God help the legion of baby girls that were named "Miley" recently, good lord we don't need another one of her.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Trivun said:
I don't really care much either way about 'designer' names. Trivun is my first name, and I've lived in England all my life. I was born here. Hell, I think I'm the only person in the UK with my full name (Trivun Luzaic) and probably one of about five people in the country with the name Trivun at all (if there are any others then they're most likely immigrants from Eastern Europe).
It's a very interesting name. I don't see the issue with names that are common in other countries, or even names that are completely made up. As long as they don't obey fictional pronunciation laws and don't sound too ridiculous. It's really only a problem when you have common names with completely made-up spelling. I know a guy named Damon, except his name is spelled DAYMONE. Which is unbelievably stupid.

Back in high school I remember there were so many girls named Brianna (which is practically made up anyway) and the only way you could tell them apart on a list was by what batshit spelling the parents had put on the birth certificate. There was a Breeana, a Briyana, a Breanah, and a Brionna, and lord knows how many others.

I hope this doesn't come across as racist, and I may be making a sweeping generalization here, but this seems to be pretty popular with some African-Americans. This is made all the more complicated by their pseudo-French naming conventions. I've heard so many variations of Tyrone, or Chaniqua, or Michonette...it is all very confusing.

Incidentally, people frequently spell my name SIMONE--which, while a real name, is generally not applied to those of the male persuasion. I've met people who were surprised I was a guy, because someone they knew had mentioned me in an email or some such and gotten my name wrong.

I'm rambling, aren't I? I'll shut up now.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009

First thing I thought of when I saw the thread.

Anyways, some names are annoying as sin to look at, but unless it could bring harm to the child, it generally doesn't bug me too much.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Of all things I have trouble with my last name, Hancock. In the US, John Hancock is well known for signing his name really large on our Declaration of Independence and his name is now a euphemism for signature. However, whenever people ask for my name they invariably say, "Like John Hancock? How do you spell that?" Cue the facepalm from me. Do people not read anything these days?

Tukadian

Sep 22, 2010
Danman1 said:
Swollen Goat said:
Here's the most retarded one I've seen to date: Ciial

That's pronounced 'Kyle'.
Oh. Oh god. No. Just... Really? Ciial. Did the hospital say "Kyle" was already taken for that server?
Wow, that actually made me bust out laughing just picturing the doctor going over it with the mother.
"I want to name him Kyle."
"Sorry we already have a Kyle, How about Kyle443?"
"Umm, no, I don't want any numbers in the name."
"How about Ky-El?"
"Wasn't that Superman? No... that was Kal-el wasn't it? Whatever, hyphens are too cliche."
"Everyone's interchanging K and C these days, that seems to be the rage."
"Okay... Cile then."
"Taken."
"... Surprise me..."

CJMacM

Mar 21, 2010
I can't stand that, just spell your kid's name like it's supposed to be. And if someone's looking for a unique name for their kid, find one that's uncommon not a regular named spelled differently to be special. It just adds confusion.

For example, one girl at my school is named "Michellie" and it's pronounced Mik-ay-lee. It's not the worst example but she still gets grief over it and she said that the way her parents spelled her name bugs her.

Some people think my name,Catriona, is basically Katrina but it's not. It's gaelic so it's pronounced a lot differently than it looks, not just spelled different for the sake of being spelled different.