Destiny: Loot Plot

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
nodlimax said:
Daaaah Whoosh said:
I just got off the Bungie forums because I was tired of people complaining about the loot system. At least this is mildly amusing, but still. Destiny is fun to play, people, regardless of what loot you get. Kind of like Christmas, but I guess you have to be a certain age to figure that out.
So in your mind, repetitive grinding with a bad loot system is fun?

People have some weird taste in terms of game play these days.....
I wouldn't call it grinding. I'd call it playing a first-person-shooter over and over again. I did it with Halo, and it worked fine then without loot.

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
Paragon Fury said:
As a long time WoW player, I have to ask;

Why the fuck do people think they're entitled to loot? Or good loot? Destiny is an MMO - you play for weeks or months in an MMO before getting what you want or need, much less the Best in Slot Item.

Yet Destiny has been out for less than 3 weeks and people already want to be Level 20+10, complete with Best in Slot Items? HA!
The difference between WoW and destiny is as follows:

In WoW if you want X piece of gear that is best in slot for raids in your current build, a simple google search tells you exactly what boss drops it and what is the drop rate. As long as you keep killing that boss, you will eventually get what you want.
In Destiny sometimes bosses drop a thingie called Legendary Engram. A very rare drop. You take this thingie to an NPC that decodes it and gives you an item. That item is a random piece of gear that may be any combination of the following: under your current level, a rare instead of a legendary (this happens most of the times btw), an item for a different class, an item that is not usefull for your style of play, actually a legendary. See the problem here? You have 0 ways to ensure you get what you need no matter how much you grind. You just have to pray.
The other shit aspect is the random loot gained at the end of a Strike. Each participant gets something. How is that loot assigned? Maybe performance and contribution determine the quality of gear you can get? Nope. The guy who spent the entire strike dying can get the best rewards. And what's worse? The rewards aren't class locked. You can get something that you can't even use on your current character. SO again, 0 ways to make sure you get what you want.

You see, it's not that people want them now, it's that people want to feel like they are actually working to get these items, instead of a frankly retarded loot system trolling them constantly. When you get something called Legendary Engram colored purple, the last thing you want is a blue item coming out of it.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
As a long time WoW player, I have to ask;

Why the fuck do people think they're entitled to loot? Or good loot? Destiny is an MMO - you play for weeks or months in an MMO before getting what you want or need, much less the Best in Slot Item.

Yet Destiny has been out for less than 3 weeks and people already want to be Level 20+10, complete with Best in Slot Items? HA!
The whole point in loot-based games is the reward system. You put in effort and receive reward. This GREATLY increases your desire to play the game. If the system is poorly balanced, people will grow unsatisfied. You can't please everyone, but when your loot system has bullshit like giving you loot for different classes, or worse, give you class specific items with stats for a different class like Diablo 3 had at launch, people are going to be upset. What the players are entitled to doesn't even matter. A good loot system is VITAL for the long-time survival of a game like this.

Shanahanapp

Apr 8, 2013
Do people not get that in any other MMO there'd just be lower chances to get good loot? Destiny's loot system seems fine to me, complaints about how "I got a legendary engram but it wasn't a legendary" just sound like entitled whining to me, especially considering each engram also has a chance to give you an item a tier ABOVE it's rank.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Absolutely everything I've read, seen or heard about this game has given the impression of "don't buy this it sucks". Which is real weird to even be surprised by given the halo games were always incredibly over hyped and very disappointing. Seems like that's all Bungie has ever done; promise big deliver small. I guess I just figured 500 million would have helped a lot, but apparently spending insane amounts of money on nothing is super easy for them.

Maybe the day they finally decide to not be so deep up their own asses they'll actually put out a good product.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
The little brat should be grateful. In Palestan all they have to eat are rocks and they would kill for some socks in between Russian airstrikes. Little Hamid got his fingers blown off in the same rocket that killed his family, now all he has is his trusty shaggy dog to wander the wasteland with. He's a pretty good shot with a varmint rifle, but his friends are even better.

...what was I talking about again?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Ouch! His mother needed a visit from the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future.
If that happened, she would have changed her ways and we may not be living in the world we are now. Lady, your problem is with evolution for what pregnancy and childbirth did to your body, yet you're the one smoking and drinking a six-pack of brewskis on Xmas Morning.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I laughed, I cried, then I laughed some more when I realized I wasn't actually crying.

This was a really good one.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Mahorfeus said:
Evidently this is a problem they are aware needs fixing. Until then, I guess I'm stockpiling my legendary engrams. :p
Pretty sure the content of the engram is determined on drop, not on decryption. Least thats whats been going around the sub on Reddit.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
How... Heartless! Could've given him some smokes, at least! She's got enough to spare.

Darth_Payn said:
canadamus_prime said:
Ouch! His mother needed a visit from the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future.
If that happened, she would have changed her ways and we may not be living in the world we are now. Lady, your problem is with evolution for what pregnancy and childbirth did to your body, yet you're the one smoking and drinking a six-pack of brewskis on Xmas Morning.
Bah, booze and fags will keep her all thin and lovely. It's that darn kid that needs "proper, balanced meals" and whatnot, ruining everything.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
The loot system was the very very least of my problems with this game. Destiny grew very repetitive within two days of playing, mainly because I'd finished the main story, got bored of playing the same missions over and over again with little reward.....and I refuse to pay innumerate installments of £15-20 over the next 10 years.

Screw that business plan, its a dangerous precedent.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
Queen Michael said:
Could somebody explain what the loot system is like?
Upon killing any enemy there is a slight chance that an item called an engram will drop in the form of a colored orb. Standard MMO colors apply, green common, blue rare, purple legendary. The engram in your inventory has an indicator as to which item slot the result will fit into. Picture of a gun, glove, boot etc.

The engram is taken back to the central hub of the game called the tower and turned in to an NPC called The Cryptarch. He takes the engram and wipes his... I mean, hands you the resulting randomly generated loot. The trouble is, after hours of tedious grind when you finally get a purple drop, the purple drop has a bout a 60% chance of not being purple at all, but blue. On the rare chance that the drop is, praise the random number generator Jesus, a purple; one of a couple things happen.

One, the item was a weapon of one of the three types ( Primary, Secondary, Heavy) and is then converted into a random weapon type within those categories. For example, a primary weapon randomly generates as either an auto rifle, pulse rifle, scout rifle, or hand cannon.

Two, the item was a piece of armor. In which case you are handed a purple piece of armor that can be for any class in the game, not just yours. So you got lucky enough for a drop, got extremely lucky enough for that drop to be purple, turned it in and hit the roughly 37% chance that the purple stays purple when turned in, then get handed the result with only a 33% chance that it is actually something for the class you play. P.S. the game has no mechanic to trade items between players, so you are stuck with it.

According to Bungie's ass brained devs, this was because it gave the Cryptarch NPC "a personality" during playtesting.

Edit: oh, and one more thing! The items, when awarded, are just a shell of what they are capable of ntil you wear them and earn metric assloads of experience, thus progressively unlocking abilities for the gear (better defense value/increased light, a stat that determines your character level over 20, special abilities, etc.

Trouble is the last 3 upgrades on the item take 6 of an item called an ascendant shard (for armor) or ascendant energy (for weapons) which are rare to the point of unattainable for 99% of the game's population and the only way to reliably attain them is to destroy purple gear, which might give you two.

I feel I should also point out that to bring a set of armor to full upgraded status requires 72 of these.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Jokes on that kid, I don't play Destiny, so his global vengeance has been thwarted. Mmmuahahahaha!!

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Frost27 said:
Queen Michael said:
Upon killing any enemy there is a slight chance that an item called an engram will drop in the form of a colored orb. Standard MMO colors apply, green common, blue rare, purple legendary. The engram in your inventory has an indicator as to which item slot the result will fit into. Picture of a gun, glove, boot etc.

The engram is taken back to the central hub of the game called the tower and turned in to an NPC called The Cryptarch. He takes the engram and wipes his... I mean, hands you the resulting randomly generated loot. The trouble is, after hours of tedious grind when you finally get a purple drop, the purple drop has a bout a 60% chance of not being purple at all, but blue. On the rare chance that the drop is, praise the random number generator Jesus, a purple; one of a couple things happen.

One, the item was a weapon of one of the three types ( Primary, Secondary, Heavy) and is then converted into a random weapon type within those categories. For example, a primary weapon randomly generates as either an auto rifle, pulse rifle, scout rifle, or hand cannon.

Two, the item was a piece of armor. In which case you are handed a purple piece of armor that can be for any class in the game, not just yours. So you got lucky enough for a drop, got extremely lucky enough for that drop to be purple, turned it in and hit the roughly 37% chance that the purple stays purple when turned in, then get handed the result with only a 33% chance that it is actually something for the class you play. P.S. the game has no mechanic to trade items between players, so you are stuck with it.

According to Bungie's ass brained devs, this was because it gave the Cryptarch NPC "a personality" during playtesting.

Edit: oh, and one more thing! The items, when awarded, are just a shell of what they are capable of ntil you wear them and earn metric assloads of experience, thus progressively unlocking abilities for the gear (better defense value/increased light, a stat that determines your character level over 20, special abilities, etc.

Trouble is the last 3 upgrades on the item take 6 of an item called an ascendant shard (for armor) or ascendant energy (for weapons) which are rare to the point of unattainable for 99% of the game's population and the only way to reliably attain them is to destroy purple gear, which might give you two.

I feel I should also point out that to bring a set of armor to full upgraded status requires 72 of these.
_< Good god. That's worse that I thought it was.

Very sad I only got to use the cave for a day. :c Most fun I've had with Destiny and I got more loot than I saw in the previous 18 levels.

Until they fix that, or give us a more viable way to buy loot besides PvP challenges, I'm out until some friends get the game. Though, with press like this I'm not so sure they will.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Seeing that loot system and the whole plethora of things revolving the loot explained above, makes Monster Hunter's Drop rate looks generous.

At least you can still aim for the item that you want in MH, by just breaking the part/cutting, and the RNG drop for that item is still limited to usually 5 other items...

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
undeadsuitor said:
Frost27 said:
Queen Michael said:
Snip.

good fucking god that was boring to READ

I would hate to actually PLAY that shit. There's a reason even the king of time wasters, WoW, is even stepping away from the "lets make everyone spend 100000 hours for loot" model
There was, until yesterday, a cave and several other locations with high spawn rates where one could grind out large numbers of kills for an increased chance at drops. Classic farming. Bungie nerfed all of them because it didn't fit their "vision" of how people should play Destiny. Basically nerfing the farming without addressing why people had to do it in the first place. Then they essentially said that people expecting rare loot when they earn and receive a rare drop is their own fault because they are "looking at it wrong". Whereas, I feel that when I get a purple drop, the loot should be purple, the Cryptarch looks at it as "opening a grab bag of loot". So, their shitty loot system is my damn fault, not their moronic, shit for brains dev team.

See, I just can't be convinced that watching the majority of my loot drops turn into useless garbage after I earned them is part of the 'fun'. That's like working through a pay period and instead of a paycheck, my boss hands me a cat turd in a little box and tells me to consider it part of my challenging, rewarding career.

Shadowkire

Apr 4, 2009
This gives an insight into the Devs' priorities: They nerf the cave immediately while saying they will fix the drop rates at some unnamed time.

Or translated from Dev speak to layman terms: "We couldn't be bothered to fill the game with actual content, so until we get around to that we want you to spend whole DAYS in the game chasing purple drops."