Destiny Takes GOTY, Confuses Audience, at This Year's BAFTAs

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
InvisibleJim said:
hermes200 said:
InvisibleJim said:
Guilion said:
My, my, the reasons behind giving this game an award can be seen a mile away...

By the way aren't the BAFTA awards the ones sponsored by PR or am I getting cross-eyed with ANOTHER british game award show?
Shit, someone just asked me what I was laughing at xD

This graphic is absolutely immense and sums up the problem with how EA approaches marketing and its consumer base. Hit or miss, polished but unimaginative products overhyped by any means neccessary.
You two may want to reconsider your stand.

Not going to defend EA from many things, but Destiny was published by [/b]Activision[/b], after they bought Bungie. At least give credit to the proper evil overlord...
I copy that sir. Tho, I can't say from what I've seen that Activision has a more benign relationship between consumers, themselves and the reward shows :)
They don't, and that is the point. Activision is just as despotic and anti-consumer, but they have made a good job at keeping a lower profile than EA or Ubisoft lately by talking less to the press.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Destiny was the 2014 game I had the most fun playing. Story schmory. Use your imagination and make your own if you need one.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
SKBPinkie said:
I played Destiny for several months and had a good deal of fun with it. It controls beautifully and if control / "feel" of the game was the only metric by which we judged games, this game deserves the GOTY.

However, there are several other factors that influence the quality of a game like Destiny. This game has some of the worst design decisions / mechanics I've ever seen in a game. The randomness alone (that determines your rewards) is enough to make people hate this game. Add outdated MMO-style design to the game, and it's barely a 3 star title. Having weekly resets and timed events and other garbage like that just got tiring. It doesn't matter how many times I play an event each week, I should be rewarded each time. Having a weekly reset is a blatant attempt at lengthening the game.

It's a shame, really - like I said, the core gameplay feels fantastic. Getting a series of headshots off with a hand cannon / scout rifle is just so satisfying. Now surround that core with horse shit and you get Destiny.
I can under stand the weekly resets to a point, but I cant fathom the reason for random rewards, specially in the crucible. You play the best game out of everyone, you get jack shit, some guy just joined the match a minute before it ends, gets maybe 500 sum odd points, gets fucking Hardlight.

They only just fixed the fact that there wasnt a matchmaking system for the weekly heroics, yet they keep spouting bullshit about how matchmaking would ruin the raids of nightstrikes.

Fun game, love it, but seriously, Bungie fucked up in places...

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
Honestly the devs should have refused out of principal. Destiny was mediocre and if they don't already know that they are completely deluded. The game is BORING! Its a bastard child of halo and borderlands failing to take the best things from either of them.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
cpukill said:
....god damn you Brits must have some really awesome mind-altering substances.
this, Far Cry 4 was the actual game of the year. Destiny just sounds to me like Borderlands so I've already done it.
Far cry 4 is far cry 3 with worse story but better gameplay.

Destiny is as much borderlands as halo is. Destiny is runescape in fps form ... except runescape has more than 5 environments, both games are just a treadmill of grind! Endless grinding ... grind to level 30, grind each optimal route to get trinkets to unlock a gun upgrade and the named guns have 15 odd unlocks each.

So say you need 30 bells, 15 stars and 20 sticks For one unlock, then 40 bells, 20 stars and 25 sticks. Just running round and round opening boxes to get them that might not have them in or killing an enemy with a 50%drop rate.

That's for one gun! Still have the secondary and heavy weapons to unlock upgrades for!

And for what? Bigger numbers!

If I could have any game refunded EVER! it would be destiny and I played Bubsey 3D god damnit!

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
MC1980 said:
Wait, Last of Us: Left Behind, as in the DLC, not the rest of the game? How in balls did that win best story on its own? That's an ass pull if I ever saw one. Half the thing was a combat level, and the other half had the "story" part, which heavily relied on the main game for you to actually give a shit and know what the fuck is going on, and was essentially teenage angst + zombies = tragedy. I'd honestly love to hear the reasoning on this one.

Poor Valiant Hearts gets another pity award because it got shafted in the one category it should have won. Shame how quality can only be rewarded in offhand ways.

And oh yeah, Destiny won an award again, despite not doing anything exceptionally save for the music. And they fired the composer who made it.
Having played and thoroughly enjoyed Left Behind, I agree that it doesn't really deserve story of the year award. My thoughts on this is that it's one of two things:

1. They just wanted to award The Last Of Us again even though it came out last year.
2. The industry just REALLY loves gay love stories and thinks that they deserve every prize ever (remember Gone Home?)

Peregrin130

Nov 18, 2009
Akjosch said:
League of Legends is a "persistent game"? I have no idea what criteria they applied to come to that conclusion, because whatever I can think of would also make Chess into one.

The less is said about their "GOTY" choice the better ...
I'm confused too about their definition of a "persistent game"... The term's precise meaning is debatable, but I'm pretty sure LoL isn't one of those.

As for that GOTY snafu, it's pretty obvious where it came from.

Timeless Lavender

Lord of Chinchilla
Feb 2, 2015
Well, I am not surprise with the results. Do any awards show do justice at all. LOL Destiny should not even touch this GOTY list

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
A piece of DLC won Story, "Best family game" is a port, Innovation was a walking simulator and Destiny won GOTY ._.

BAFTAs are nothing if not sellouts sometimes. Or eagerly trailing behind the Oscars >_<
To be fair, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter didn't win the innovation award for its gameplay but for its graphical technology, which was AMAZING for a small indie studio. I forget exactly what they did, but they essentially took real life pictures and used them to make the in game visuals, and the result is one of the most realistic looking games I've ever seen. For a team of 8 people, it's amazing.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
joshuaayt said:
"British game"? That seems so deafeatist. "We know nothing made in Britain is gonna get on the list, so let's just make sure we get *something*.
It's not defeatist at all, it's just that the British Academy, whose sole purpose is to promote and support such things in Britain, wants to additionally recognise the achievements of it's native developers and support it's home video game industry.

In 2013, the BAFTA for British Game was awarded to a little know title called Grand Theft Auto V, which I can assure you wasn't a defeatist sympathy award because they thought that the record breaking game which generated $800 million in its first 24 hours alone, needed a "at least you tried" award because otherwise it wouldn't be recognise at all that year... indeed that plucky little British game also took home the awards for Game Design and Online Multiplayer and it's British developer was awarded a Academy Fellowship as well as other awards and accolades outside the BAFTAS.

In pretty much every British Academy Awards for Video Games since it's inception, British games and developers have won awards without the help of the relatively new and specific "British Game" category (with some years having so many nominations and taking so many titles you'd be forgiven for thinking that the awards were only open to British developers), so the award is probably just to generate more interest in the British games industry and games development as a whole, and to possibly fight the misconception that games which are made in Britain by British developers but are published by American or multinational companies (like a lot of Microsoft's and Sony's first and third party studios) aren't British and nothing of worth ever gets produced by the British games industry.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Klagermeister said:
Xan Krieger said:
cpukill said:
....god damn you Brits must have some really awesome mind-altering substances.
this, Far Cry 4 was the actual game of the year. Destiny just sounds to me like Borderlands so I've already done it.
So... You haven't played it? Are you just parroting what someone once told you about it?
i played it. and it IS borderlands, except more terrible. it had the skeleton of a good game, but it's obvious that the game needed another year in development at least to create the game they promised.

destiny is bad. it was fun until the content became grindy. i've done each of those stupid strikes many dozens of times. in fact, go back in time and look at everything that they promised Destiny would be, and then look at what we got. it's bland, it's boring, and most importantly, it's not the game they promised us.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
There was music in Far Cry 4? Who cares if Destiny won now, that just proves the award is a sham.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Sight Unseen said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
A piece of DLC won Story, "Best family game" is a port, Innovation was a walking simulator and Destiny won GOTY ._.

BAFTAs are nothing if not sellouts sometimes. Or eagerly trailing behind the Oscars >_<
To be fair, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter didn't win the innovation award for its gameplay but for its graphical technology, which was AMAZING for a small indie studio. I forget exactly what they did, but they essentially took real life pictures and used them to make the in game visuals, and the result is one of the most realistic looking games I've ever seen. For a team of 8 people, it's amazing.

The process is called Photogrammetry. The basic process is you go out and take a metric crap-ton of pictures of the object you want to have as 3D from all various angles. Doing a simple person-sized rock could require a hundred or so images for the best results.

Then they used a program called Photoscan(which is also being used by Kojima's team for MGS5, incidently) which processes the images to figure out the relative position of the camera for each photo and uses point recognition to build a 3d model of the object being scanned.

After that you clean up the results in a traditional modelling program and bake down the textures in a usable format. For the Vanishing, they also did some manual artist work on the textures to give them a blended feel of a realistically done painting.

The interesting part of this technique is that it scales up incredibly well. You can scan a paint can all the way up to entire mountains as long as you have enough pictures.

For a more in-depth explination of their process, you can hit up their dev blog here:
http://www.theastronauts.com/2014/03/visual-revolution-vanishing-ethan-carter/

It's a very cool technology. It's not "new" but it's only recently actually become viable to use. You're likely going to be seeing more and more games with realistic graphics using this for stuff rather than entire art teams to hammer out a single environment.

I've done this system myself and it's very compelling stuff. I'd agree that they deserved the innovation/graphical award there for being the first game to utilize this system in such a way. Say what you will about the Vanishing's gameplay, it definitely pushed the graphical envelope, and did it with an incredibly tiny team.

The More You Know.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
The BAFTAs have always been confusing with what they award; I still remember when they have the terribly forgettable Brink a writing award years back. Oscar winners at least have a logic behind them, the BAFTAs' gaming awards have none.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Guilion said:
My, my, the reasons behind giving this game an award can be seen a mile away...

By the way aren't the BAFTA awards the ones sponsored by PR or am I getting cross-eyed with ANOTHER british game award show?
That GIF...Oh my i must have. Brilliant!

OT. Yeah i see where that half a million budget is going now. They really could at least be subtle about it though.
I love the way the OP just dropped the news with little more than bare facts. Not even a question to the readers on what we may think of this. He KNOWS already what we will think of this. Hehe!

Hang on...there was music in Far Cry 4? I still play that now and i hear little more than ambient drums now again. Ohhh Ubi...put your cash away! Dont embarrass yourself again.
Best game design? How is that NOT best game? "Design" is a pretty broad term in this sense.

Lastly the BAFTAs are a joke. Even compared to the other circle-jerk awards. I didnt know they do games now. Trying to get in with the cool kids, are we?
I believe we should make an award ceromony for the most shamelessly corrupt award ceromonies. Whodya think would win?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Everyone's caught up on Destiny and The Last of Us DLC winning. But my question is: How in the ever-loving hell did League of Legends win best persistent title? Dota 2 and SMITE did SO MUCH MORE over the year - for their respective player bases, communities, and for e-sports in general. Hell, I'd even argue that World of Tanks did more last year. What the fuck did LoL do to top them?

Gads, and here I thought the BAFTA's were one of the few awards shows that occasionally "got" what made great video games great. How wrong I was, apparently. Oh well.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I don't like Mordor, Alien: Isolation is likeable but has issues, Destiny is not good... choices choices...

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Spot1990 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
So the out of nowhere teenage lesbian asspull Left Behind is the best story?
In what way was it an out of nowhere ass pull? We already had an idea of what happened in the mall.Or is it just the lesbian part that bothered you?
Being a lesbian has nothing to do with it. It just felt like lazy storytelling to me made solely for publicity.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Sight Unseen said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:

The Order 1886 employed similar technology (3D photo scanning, right?) yet it didn't get mentioned :p

Point being that "Innovation" is such a flimsy category that you have to specify where. "Innovation In Games Mechanics", "Innovation In Interactive Storytelling", "Innovation in Graphics", etc. would be required.

But I doubt anyone needs clarification on why the VG BAFTAs are kind of dumb.