Deus Ex Goes Hollywood

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Deus Ex Goes Hollywood

The Deus Ex: Human Revolution feature film project has a writer, a director and an acknowledgment that it actually exists.

Did anyone know that plans for a Scott Derrickson [http://www.amazon.com/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0JA7E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353082753&sr=8-1&keywords=Deus+Ex+Human+Revolution] at the helm.

Derrickson has actually been in the business for several years now, with writing and/or directing credits on films like The Exorcism of Emily Rose, Sinister and the Keanu Reeves vehicle The Day the Earth Stood Still. Derrickson will direct the film and also write the screenplay in conjunction with his Sinister co-writer C. Robert Cargill.

"Deus Ex is a phenomenal cyberpunk game with soul and intelligence," Derrickson said. "By combining amazing action and tension with big, philosophical ideas, Deus Ex is smart, ballsy, and will make one hell of a movie."

The announcement actually gives a nod to the original Invisible War [http://www.amazon.com/Deus-Ex-Pc/dp/B00003OPES/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1353082839&sr=8-4&keywords=Deus+Ex], but says that last year's hit Deus Ex: Human Revolution will serve as "the primary template for the film." Leaving Deus Ex for the sequel, perhaps? Dare to dream!

No release window has been announced.

Source: CBS Films [http://www.cbsfilms.com/news/scott_derrickson_to_direct_deus_ex_feature_from_iconic_video_game]

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
My first thought when I read the title was "Please don't..."
In any case, we'll see how this turns out, if it actually makes it all the way through production.
If not, this wouldn't be the first video game movie that was never finished.
It looks like it would demand a pretty hefty budget.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Derrickson has actually been in the business for several years now, with writing and/or directing credits on films like The Exorcism of Emily Rose, Sinister and the Keanu Reeves vehicle The Day the Earth Stood Still. Derrickson will direct the film and also write the screenplay in conjunction with his Sinister co-writer C. Robert Cargill.
Well, that was unfortunate.

... to be fair, I didn't think TDTESS was all that terrible.

RaeAlethea

Feb 25, 2012
Only if Elias Toufexis is cast as Adam Jensen. He embodies that role!

Just sayin'

I do think that the story would make a great movie, but what would they do about the endings?

Eggbert

Jun 9, 2010
On one hand, the world has a lot of ideas and potential for a movie. On the other hand, literally every videogame movie I've ever seen. Not super optimistic about this one.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
I'm not sure Hollywood is ready to make interactive movies with plot points guided democratically by the decisiions of the audience. Oh, wait, they're not doing that? Then why bother with Deus Ex?

Arkynomicon

Mar 25, 2011
Feels like it will just be like a 2 hour live action cut-scene where you don't get to interact.

Sep 14, 2009
RaeAlethea said:
Only if Elias Toufexis is cast as Adam Jensen. He embodies that role!

Just sayin'

I do think that the story would make a great movie, but what would they do about the endings?
for once I do agree that he and only he should play the role, his voice just fits it so perfectly and he doesn't look half bad as a jensen himself.

rustybroomhandle

Jun 21, 2011
Another day, another game adaptation. This could be good, or it could not. Either way I don't think the companies that own these properties really care. The whole point of making these is to try and drive up perceived brand value in order to drive up stock prices. This is why most of them turn out rather foul.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
It's nice to see my boy Carlyle get work, and while I'm not enthralled with Derrickson I do like the visuals he uses, plus I liked the writing in Sinister so hopefully this can work

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
At last they don't try to ruin the original Deus-Ex. DX:HR is quite mediocre so I'm sort of not really annoyed by them trying to ruin it with a movie adaption. I can see why they want to make a movie about DX:HR. It's overly action oriented lacking the depth the original game had. That kind of depth they can not fit into a movie... generic action as in DX:HR though you can.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Inb4 "I didn't ask for this"
I totally asked for this. Deus Ex is easily one of the few games that could actually translate well to film because, as the writer said, deals with a lot of philosophical ideas as well as action, among other things. Though I wouldn't hold my breathe too much seeing as how good a story Max Payne had and how badly they butchered that.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I didn't a... damn... ninja'd...

Well, it certainly has the potential for a great movie, let's see how this turns out.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008

Video games don;t work... ever... sure movie can be about games... but they can't be the translation of a game from the computer to the tv... it just never works... and I don;t want to see my favorite game of this generation cinematically destroyed...<.<

Though Sinister wasn;t bad...

Besides... making Deus Ex into a movie... is like... making Deus Ex into a movie... it sort of misses the point...<.>

LZeroK

May 25, 2009
Bladerunner the remake?

EDIT: Before anyone asks.
Deus Ex was loosely based on Bladerunner (theme-wise).