Dev explains why Skyrim lag wont get fixed.

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
...This could prove problematic for me...If it eats up memory for every action...Someone tell me why they designed the game like that? Does the game really need to keep track of so many little numbers? Well whatever I guess, just have to deal with it.

Chromanin

Apr 6, 2010
I thought Fallout: New Vegas was the last game they were going to use with that game engine. Not sure where I heard it, but I thought they were using a new engine starting with Skyrim. Maybe it was Fallout 4, or maybe I just imagined the whole thing.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Chromanin said:
I thought Fallout: New Vegas was the last game they were going to use with that game engine. Not sure where I heard it, but I thought they were using a new engine starting with Skyrim. Maybe it was Fallout 4, or maybe I just imagined the whole thing.
The engine is "new".. but they've reused a tonne of the same code

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Have not picked it up yet for the PS3, and I am hopeful that the problems get fixed.

So, Skyrim, the Escapist's Choice BEST GAME OF ALL TIME, is unplayable in 1/3 of the copies.
Yep. It's just that good, even the 33% who can't play it think its the best game ever!

OT: 360 version, no issues to speak of, just over 40 hours. I've a friend with the PS3 version, and while he's had the occassional FPS stutter its nothing like the huge drops reported in the article. He's put in about the same amount of time as me, though, and doesn't play in very long bursts.

To all those having trouble, I'd recommend limiting plays to less than an hour. If you want to go over, restart your system every hour or so. Its annoying, but it should help a little. Just imagine you are playing the PC version and crashing to desktop or something.

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
Jove said:
I don't know what's going on with some of the people, but I have clocked in over 120 hours on my first play-through and I've had the game freeze on me ONCE and very little lags. I think people just need to take care of their system/game better or something...
If you'd read the answers to the problem by a dev who's worked on the engine before you'd see that it's a fundamental problem with how the game tracks the states of various objects in the world by changing bit structure on placement, holding, ai routine to run etc with objects that must be loaded each time taking the worst toll on the system such as NPCs and companions.
If in your 120 hour save you've only visited Falkreath, Whiterun, Windhelm and the college of magic and Markarath (and a few dungeons along the way) and never taken out a a single companion or touched any placeable object such as the various pots and pans that are lying around you probably won't have a major problem but if you visited/interacted with more people, objects etc in the time it takes for the game to reset certain fields (3 ingame days for non static container contents as an example) you'd also be facing these problems.

>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<

With regards to the engine it is the Gamebryo engine with a new coat of paint without any of the underlying problems sorted out.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Jove said:
I don't know what's going on with some of the people, but I have clocked in over 120 hours on my first play-through and I've had the game freeze on me ONCE and very little lags. I think people just need to take care of their system/game better or something...
It's official the PS3 version lags. Don't tell others they aren't taking care of their PS3 just because you have been lucky thus far. My PS3 is a little over a month old and it lags just as bad as some of the worst videos I've seen. Bethesda deserves a lawsuit over selling a game that is unplayable.

HoradricNoob

Jan 31, 2010
Macgyvercas said:
Ha ha! 8 GB of RAM on my PC. Try and lag me now, sucker! Or, at least try when I get Skyrim for Christmas...
From what I understand, Skyrim can not and will not use all 8. The cap for the game is 4.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
HoradricNoob said:
Macgyvercas said:
Ha ha! 8 GB of RAM on my PC. Try and lag me now, sucker! Or, at least try when I get Skyrim for Christmas...
From what I understand, Skyrim can not and will not use all 8. The cap for the game is 4.
And it only uses 2gb without a user made work around.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, interesting, it does make me wonder if this is actally going to come back to nail Beth because the way it sounds to me is they released a buggy and defective product they can't fix, and knew what they were doing when they did it.

Personally, I do have to wonder why with the money they have been making off of these titles they haven't re-designed the engine or developed a new (but similar) one.

I actually hope Betheada doesn't get sued successfully for this simply because I like their games and want to see more of them (they do something others in the industry do not even attempt) but it's hard to say that they don't deserve it.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Rooster Cogburn said:
While I doubt a complete fix is coming for the PS3 version, I also kind of doubt this problem is truly impossible to solve. Things like this are unfixable only until they get fixed, if you take my meaning.
This isn't a new thing for Bethesda games and the PS3 and they didn't fix this problems in previous games. One would think that if they couldn't fix the problem with patches in the two Fallout games then they would have fixed them when they were developing Skyrim. That they didn't suggests that they can't fix it and they shouldn't have released a broken game on the PS3. They purposely withheld the PS3 version from reviewers pre-release and now we know why.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Ilikemilkshake said:
Chromanin said:
The engine is not new, it's heavily modified. It seems to me they could have included a fix for this when they were modifying the engine but I suppose that wasn't a priority for Beth.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Crono1973 said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
Chromanin said:
The engine is not new, it's heavily modified. It seems to me they could have included a fix for this when they were modifying the engine but I suppose that wasn't a priority for Beth.
I was Air quoting because i was implying it wasnt really new.
Im pretty sure Bethesda have claimed it is new though.. but yeah its pretty much the same old engine.

Apr 28, 2008
And this is why I can never actually support them as a company. They knowingly release broken products and charge full price for them.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Lol, it's a good thing console wars have died down lately, die hard xbox fans would be all over this :p. poor PS3 and it's split ram

Apr 28, 2008
Chromanin said:
Oh no, they said it was a new engine. But really it's just a heavily modified version of the Gamebryo engine.

Like how they said Gamebryo was new yet it was a heavily modified version of the NetImmerse engine that Morrowind used.