Dev explains why Skyrim lag wont get fixed.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ilikemilkshake said:
Considering that these issues have existed since FO3, why have Bethesda 1) not fixed it. or 2) bothered porting the game to the ps3 when they know that the way their game works will almost definatly cause the game to degrade to a point of unplayability?

I love Bethesdas games, especially Skyrim but i dont understand why they keep putting out fundamentally broken games and getting away with it.
Because people will buy them. Skyrim's a phenomenal seller, and knowing these issues have existed since Fallout 3 is yet to deter the public from throwing money at them.

When you guys constantly reward them for a fundamentally broken product, what reason do they have to change anything?

Myke_storm

Sep 2, 2009
http://i42.tinypic.com/wuov7m.jpg

I eventually got to 270hrs on that game before a quest glitch persuaded me to restart the game,I had lag worse than most of the vids that a posted on internet but usually a simple reset would reneder the game playable

when I restarted I deleted everything to do with skyrim and re-istalled it,and it's a million times better in terms of lag.the worst the lag got on my first game was a point in the story where I was fighting a blood dragon,along with a forsworn camp whith two friendly NPC's I hit the same point with my new game and there was no issue other than a slight stutter

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Deathninja19 said:
The point is that we shouldn't have to restart we should be able to play for however long we want. I appreciate where you're coming from, I love Bethesda but if a company releases a broken product it is their fault not the consumers and Bethesda should be doing all they could to fix this or replace defective products.

Through the years I've constanly had problems with Bethesda products but I remained an apologist but this is the straw that broke the camel's back, I'm not defending Bethesda anymore they are in the wrong here and I'm not gonna fall for their shit anymore.
People have said this for every Bethesda game that has come out, yet they keep on buying them...

Juventus

Feb 28, 2011
Deathninja19 said:
The thing that annoys me is that why isn't there more of an outcry about this, I mean you are lucky if you bought a non-PS3 version but people fail to understand if we let Bethesda get away with this then that gives them free reign to this this in the future and on another platform. This is a huge thing affecting all gamers but people are ignoring it because they got what they wanted so fuck everyone else.
mainly because it's not EA or Activision. if it was one of those you'd hear about it to no end about how the evil publishers are destroying gaming.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Sjakie said:
man there is so much wrong with this topic and with that article the OP posted.
An Obsidan dev talking about bugs in a Bethesda engine is not really something i will take at face value after FO:NV.
If he knows the engine so well: why was NV such a buggy piece of crap?
Also i dont think you can compare the engine version they used for NV with the one used for TESV that easily, plus, the guy did not work on Skyrim.
Well, both games have the same problem but YOU, in your rush to defend Bethesda, think that they can't possibly be related and that a dev who has worked with the engine on a game with the same problems doesn't know what he's talking about.

My God people, what lengths will you go to? I have seen people blame Sony, the PS3 and even PS3 owners because apparently Bethesda can walk on fuckin water.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Twilight_guy said:
Damn it Obsidian made New Vegas, I actually know that one.

It's not lag unless it deal with network speeds what your referring to is just regular old slow frame rate due to what I would consider a memory leak. (although its not). Gamebryo is ridiculously broken and stupid but I can see why they don't want to redesign the sucker. Nobody wants to make a new engine since it takes forever and in the end you wind up with something that cost a ton and to players looks almost identical.
Thanks you! People referring to this as "lag" is driving me nuts.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Jamash said:
As for why they bothered to release it on the PS3 in such a broken state, perhaps it just didn't get picked up by the QA team. After all, the problem only manifests after a substantial amount of time and the QA team were doing 2 hour speedruns.

You can't really expect them to test a game for as long as any customer might play it, not when they had so much to do in so little time. Remember Skyrim had to be released on all 3 platform on 11/11/11 otherwise it wouldn't be special.
The problem has been in FOUR games now (Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim). And with people who played those games complaining, they don't get to play the "We didn't know about it" card. They knew, and they kept making games like this instead of finding a new way to do it or starting over with a new, less shitty engine.

But do they care? No. Just release a broken game anyway and rake in the cash from unsuspecting PS3 players.

Twilight_guy said:
Damn it Obsidian made New Vegas, I actually know that one.
Yeah, they made it on the engine Bethesda handed to them and Bethesda pushed that game out for PS3 anyway knowing it would have the same issues as their other games. Bethesda is still fully to blame for it.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
I don't like having to deal with the lower framerates, but at least 2.01 is playable in some sense. Then again, the latest save I've been playing on hasn't involved much dungeon diving, so maybe I'm not altering the game world as much as in my first game. IDK, but for now, I'm ok with this. I've had at least 50-60 hours of a rip-roaring good time, and that was worth my money. It's just not the 300+ hour experience I was hoping for, I guess. And god knows how I'm going to get that "get to lvl. 50" trophy now!

GaltarDude1138 said:
The only lag I'm really concerned with is when I bring up the menu and my controls suddenly go dead for about 3 seconds and I can't select anything. It's annoying as hell and it happens whenever I bring up the menu.

I bet it's a console thing, too...
I also have this problem.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Have not picked it up yet for the PS3, and I am hopeful that the problems get fixed.

So, Skyrim, the Escapist's Choice BEST GAME OF ALL TIME, is unplayable in 1/3 of the copies.
Thats assuming all players get to the point when their save is that large

Blondi3

Sep 12, 2008
kaizen2468 said:
I'm glad I'm playing on PC. logged 160 hours so far and no crashes. Weird bugs galore, but no crashes at least lol
Ditto! This is why I go out of my way to buy the PC versions of all Bethesda games. The modders fixing what the company is too lazy to do is the reason these games are worth playing and remembering imo.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Crono1973 said:
Sjakie said:
An Obsidan dev talking about bugs in a Bethesda engine is not really something i will take at face value after FO:NV.
Also i dont think you can compare the engine version they used for NV with the one used for TESV that easily, plus, the guy did not work on Skyrim.
Well, both games have the same problem but YOU, in your rush to defend Bethesda, think that they can't possibly be related and that a dev who has worked with the engine on a game with the same problems doesn't know what he's talking about.

My God people, what lengths will you go to? I have seen people blame Sony, the PS3 and even PS3 owners because apparently Bethesda can walk of fuckin water.
Well considering the creation engine is heavily modified I doubt the obsidian dev knows what the fuck he is talking about

Deathninja19

Dec 7, 2009
Juventus said:
Deathninja19 said:
The thing that annoys me is that why isn't there more of an outcry about this, I mean you are lucky if you bought a non-PS3 version but people fail to understand if we let Bethesda get away with this then that gives them free reign to this this in the future and on another platform. This is a huge thing affecting all gamers but people are ignoring it because they got what they wanted so fuck everyone else.
mainly because it's not EA or Activision. if it was one of those you'd hear about it to no end about how the evil publishers are destroying gaming.
Quoted for truth my man, though it's unfair to single him out but if this was EA Jim Sterling would be railing against this in every article and yet he fawns over it in an alost embarassing way.

This is the problem with gamer mentality, we pick sides and them stick with no matter what, it happened with the console wars and now it's happening with the companies themselves. I've been guilty of this before, I love Atlus to death and will usually side with them no matter what, but we as a gamers need start standing up for each other and calling out bullshit when it happens.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Swyftstar said:
Crono1973 said:
Swyftstar said:
While I'm not excusing Bethesda, I don't think Sony should get a pass on this one either. Not having enough RAM is just silly. Not having cross game chat is annoying and this isn't the first game to exhibit issues because of it. DC Universe Online used to crash religiously because of the low memory problem. Also, when I'm online on my PS3, it will occasionally freeze or tell me there isn't enough memory so the web page is being replaced with a blank screen.
For Bethesda's part, releasing this game when there is a known issue, without at least a warning is shady.
LOL, what?

Blame Sony because Bethesda can't make their games work well on the PS3? Sony may share some of the blame, they should have told Bethesda to fix it before they allowed it on the PS3 but Bethesda's incompetence is not Sony's fault.

If you tried to make a game for the Wii and it lagged really bad, would you really blame Nintendo?
First, don't start a post with "LOL, what?" It makes you sound either goofy or insulting, neither of which are conducive to a discussion. Second, I'm not blaming them for the games issue per se, I am saying that they have a memory problem, that has caused issues across a few games and applications, that has annoyed me in the past and probably will again in the future. And who the hell buys games for the Wii? :p
I'll start my post any way that I see fit.

Let's review:

I don't think Sony should get a pass on this one either. Not having enough RAM is just silly.
First of all, the PS3 has just as much RAM as the 360, it just uses it differently. I think the PS3 RAM is actually faster.

Bethesda knew going into this how the PS3 RAM worked but instead of customizing the engine to deal with that, they just released ANOTHER broken game. This isn't Sony's fault, it isn't like Sony changed the way the PS3 worked in the middle of Skyrims development.

If Bethesda had developed Skyrim for the Wii, would you be blaming Nintendo for poor performance? Skyrim COULD have been fine on the PS3 if Bethesda had put more effort into it. The PS3 is the most powerful console this gen so if the 360 can run it well, then so COULD the PS3.

Sony is to blame for letting Bethesda release this though, they should have pushed it back and told Bethesda to fix the memory problems. Isn't that the point of a license, to make sure the game works properly before you license it on your console?

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
The Lunatic said:
The consoles have rather pathetically low RAM, and have done even since release.

512MB is just an awfully low amount, especially in this day and age.
Consoles don't need as much because they don't have other functions to do like the PC, 360 is running fine on 512 and the ps3 would be if the RAM wasn't split, its not the hardware its the fact the Bethesda have made a shoddy port

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Macrobstar said:
Crono1973 said:
Sjakie said:

My God people, what lengths will you go to? I have seen people blame Sony, the PS3 and even PS3 owners because apparently Bethesda can walk of fuckin water.
Well considering the creation engine is heavily modified I doubt the obsidian dev knows what the fuck he is talking about
Well, considering the Creation engine has the same memory problems, I think the Obsidian dev does know what he's talking about.

I mean the problem is real in Skyrim. The problem was real in FO:NV. What is it that you disagree with?

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
zelda2fanboy said:
Twilight_guy said:
It's not lag unless it deal with network speeds what your referring to is just regular old slow frame rate...
Thanks you! People referring to this as "lag" is driving me nuts.
I am aware of the difference, and it used to annoy me too. However, the two phenomena are very similar to look at, and there's no easy, 1 syllable word for "drop in frame-rate" or "slow-down" that sounds right, so I think appropriating the term to this problem is appropriate. It looks like it's happening no matter how you feel about it anyway.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
The 280+ free GB I have on my 360 means I have few problems with memory storage.
Sucks for people with limited memory left on their consoles (or PCs).

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
Arontala said:
It's auto-saving when it does that. I'm pretty sure you can turn it off in your settings menu.
It auto saves when I open the menu? That's... odd. But ok, I'll turn it off next time I play it. Thanks for the tip.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Crono1973 said:
Macrobstar said:
Crono1973 said:
Sjakie said:

Well, considering the Creation engine has the same memory problems, I think the Obsidian dev does know what he's talking about.

I mean the problem is real in Skyrim. The problem was real in FO:NV. What is it that you disagree with?
I don't remember it ever being this big an issue with NV or FO3 and I played both of them for hundreds of hours on PS3 (Platinum'd both :p)
Maybe I just got lucky on both games, but it was never as big a fuss being made as it is now and I'm definately sure he doesn't know the internal workings of bethesda or wth he's talking about, obsidian are amateurs at best afterall