Developer Apologizes for Accidentally Threatening Kittens

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010

Jesus Christ, people actually got offended at what he said? Bloody hell, some people are highly strung these days.

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
Nobody would care if they threatened humans. Somehow though, those horrible, ungrateful, spiteful balls of fur seem to have gained an untouchable status.

I.N.producer

May 26, 2011
People should really just relax. It's not like they were going to go all Edison on the cats.
On a side note, I went straight to their Greenlight page to vote for them after seeing this.

simple64

Sep 14, 2011
Normally, I wouldn't really approve of devs saying stupid things. When you speak to the public, wise up with what you say, lest you end up alienating your customers.

In this case, I agree with most of these comments. Not because people are "too sensitive nowadays" (It's alwayys been like this. You're just noticing now), but because this was very clearly a joke. We've heard this joke so many times it's not funny (buy my product and the kitten lives!). Making light of animal cruelty? Seriously? Have you seen what cats can survive from?

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
Younglings.

Back in my day, we KNEW how to threaten animals to raise sales.

EDIT: stoopid flickr image sharing/escapist block codes

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
I don't think you guys understand. You can't threaten cats on the internet. Period.

It's not about offense. It's not about taking a joke. It's a cardinal-fucking-sin. It's one of the most powerful thou-shalt-nots.

You DO NOT threaten CATS on the INTERNET. The internet likes cats 1,000x more than it likes people. This is rudimentary stuff.

lukey94

Sep 2, 2008
Threaten babies or young children all you want.

Threaten a kitten ... you are worse than Hitler!

lukey94

Sep 2, 2008
Res Plus said:
Oh for Goodness sakes people need to grow up. This is pathetic. There is no right not to be offended, especially by things that.... aren't ... offensive.

Incidently, since when did cats and dogs become so ridiculously feted? They are cute if you like them but that's about it.
Cats and Dogs have been a part of human life for thousands of years, Dogs have nearly always been faithful companions to men and women. Cats have been idolised since the Ancient Egyptians

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
It was worded in poor taste, and they should get all the punishment they deserve.

"All the punishment they deserve" in this case equates to, "Irritated fans posting irritated messages on the greenlight page, followed by them being forced to say a quick, 'Whoops, my bad, sorry guys'."

Sometimes a gaffe is just a gaffe. You don't get indignant about "The PC Police", you don't demand blood in retribution. The offending party apologizes like an adult, and you move on with your life. Luckily, it looks like THATS WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE. So were all good.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
I think all the angry and offended people, be they upset about imaginary kittens, a feminist on Kickstarter or the endings of a certain SF series, must apologise for making the Net a more irritating and exasperating place.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
bkd69 said:
Younglings.

Back in my day, we KNEW how to threaten animals to raise sales.

EDIT: stoopid flickr image sharing/escapist block codes
Curses, beat me to it.

There's nothing wrong with this sort of marketing, as long as it isn't serious.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Are you outraged at the outrage internet? Why give me $5,000 and I will personally travel to somewhere that legally allows it and eat an entire cat.

We'll show those meddling animal lovers whose boss one forkful at a time.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
itsthesheppy said:
I don't think you guys understand. You can't threaten cats on the internet. Period.

It's not about offense. It's not about taking a joke. It's a cardinal-fucking-sin. It's one of the most powerful thou-shalt-nots.

You DO NOT threaten CATS on the INTERNET. The internet likes cats 1,000x more than it likes people. This is rudimentary stuff.
lukey94 said:
Threaten babies or young children all you want.

Threaten a kitten ... you are worse than Hitler!
These.

xkcd: CAT PROXIMITY

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/cat_proximity.png

'Threatening' cats and kittens on the internet is the equivalent to defaming Mohammed in front of ultra conservative muslims in Pakistan.

[HEADING=2]Riots in the streets. Deaths on film at 11. [/HEADING]

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Somethingfake said:
Nobody would care if they threatened humans. Somehow though, those horrible, ungrateful, spiteful balls of fur seem to have gained an untouchable status.
Nope. If they threatened human children I'd react the same way. There is a difference -- Child's Play says "The more money you give us, the more we can help the children relieve their pain." If they said "If you don't help us, then children will be in pain!", then that would be bad.

The funny thing is that assuming they're talking about the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), they hardly rescue any animals, so that's not where the donation would be going. The HSUS is mostly a lobbying and legal organization.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Res Plus said:
It's only recently (and especially on the interwebz) these animals have been placed on a ridiculous pedestal, cue this type of knee jerk "rage" when anyone says anything negative or makes a mild joke about animals. It's only recently that large sections of society have routinely spent thousands on medicine, food and "gifts" for animals. All seems a bit out of hand.
Here's the difference: threatening harm, like on that National Lampoon magazine cover, is a joke, and is designed to make you laugh. If the joke worked, it will make you want to read more of the comedy contained within the product being sold. This was a marketing stunt to tug at the heartstrings of cat lovers. There's no relationship between the pitch and the product; it's simply an attempt at emotional manipulation. There is a difference, and it didn't work.