Developer Shrugs Off Controversial Modern Warfare 3 Leak

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Developer Shrugs Off Controversial Modern Warfare 3 Leak

Warning: The following news piece may contain Modern Warfare 3 spoilers, developers blaming the media for stirring up controversy and dead children.

If you played Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, you undoubtedly remember the "No Russian" mission. Immediately following the game's launch there was a firestorm of controversy stemming from the segment, which saw your character going undercover with a group of terrorists and shooting up an airport full of unarmed civilians.

This morning, a video appeared on YouTube documenting a section of the upcoming Modern Warfare 3 that has been widely dubbed the sequel's equivalent of the "No Russian" mission. While the clip has since been removed from the video sharing site, CVG has an apt description [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/325009/modern-warfare-3s-new-airport-massacre-swaps-civilians-for-kid/]:

The section in question features a family of tourists in London on a daytrip to see Big Ben. A cutscene in which the player cannot intervene shows a father taking a movie of his daughter and the girl's mother when a truck pulls up and explodes beside them, blowing them to bits and releasing some sort of toxic gas.

Controversy immediately began to ripple throughout the 'net, and in a few short hours, it attracted the attention of Infinity Ward executive producer Mark Rubin, who downplayed the hysteria.

"... for the most part what happens is a lot of media outlets play it up, and it goes on some Friday afternoon, Friday night news thing, and they talk about how horrible it is that they're killing people in the middle of our subway, but it's the cricket after that, and no-one cares," Rubin told OXM.

"The media a lot of times plays on it because they hope to get something out of it, rile somebody up to start a conversation about it, but everybody kind of stares at them just going: 'Next ... oh, that's an interesting story.' And they pass right over it."

As part of that media Mr. Rubin mentioned I've obviously got a bias toward myself, so let's address the other point he makes: This kind of in-game event, with its dead children and overt terrorism, is this a big deal for you, the gamer? Are you appalled? Are you apathetic? Are the more sociopathic of you actively excited by this?

In short, is anyone interested in making this a controversy?

Source: OXM [http://www.oxm.co.uk/35668/infinity-ward-on-mw3s-no-russian-equivalent-mainstream-viewers-will-pass-right-over-it/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=OXM-News-RSS]

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
I just...why do people buy into this and try to claim the MW campaign is good anymore? People keep trying to claim context, but even in context, it's just a controversial scene, created for the controversy. They want people to talk about it, and based on how many people will comment on this thread, they'll have succeeded.

Edit: In response to your question, I'm annoyed more than anything.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
So controversial images prior to release are going to sell this game too? Another successful CoD game I guess.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
So where do they go from here for MW4? Terrorists nuking a summer camp for mentally handicapped, ethnic minorities with cancer on the day they brought their cute puppies along? Terrorists break in to a German art gallery and mop up all of the contemporary paint stains? Terrorists go on a strike over their pensions and get screwed over by Government cuts? Terrorists drive through the desert from Tucson to Las Vegas, needing to steer left every so often due to a mechanical fault with their bus? The fiends!

I also copyright all of those concepts (except the obvious one). You heard (read) me Kotick!

Desworks

Nov 18, 2009
Quickly everyone! Display apathy! Making a big deal out of this is what Infinity Ward wants us to do, so by not caring at all we can fire the return volley at the idiots who use controversy to garner free advertising!

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Perhaps this isn't necessarily a bad thing, much of the younger end of the target audience for COD probably have a glorified vision of what war is like, showing them that actually it's often the innocent and vulnerable who get hurt can't do any harm and it may make them think about conflict in a new light.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Outlaw Torn said:
So where do they go from here for MW4? Terrorists nuking a summer camp for mentally handicapped, ethnic minorities with cancer on the day their brought their cute puppies along? Terrorists break in to a German art gallery and mop up all of the contemporary paint stains? Terrorists go on a strike over their pensions and get screwed over by Government cuts? Terrorists drive through the desert from Tucson to Las Vegas, needing to steer left every so often due to a mechanical fault with their bus? The fiends!

I also copyright all of those concepts (except the obvious one). You heard (read) me Kotick!
Oh no! The terrorists have targeted the School for the Blind and Little Girls! Sir, there are even some blind little girls there!

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
JoJoDeathunter said:
Perhaps this isn't necessarily a bad thing, much of the younger end of the target audience for COD probably have a glorified vision of what war is like, showing them that actually it's often the innocent and vulnerable who get hurt can't do any harm and it may make them think about conflict in a new light.
Actually we can't see what happened to the little girl, but the mom straight up disappears. Meaning she obviously has a teleporter (it's the only rational explanation). The only who died is the silent, probably hung-over dad. The the real message is...don't be a father?

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I'm confused, it's bad for terrorists to kill kids?

Oh boy, please do not tell them about the Megaton quest in Fallout 3. I assumed they were invulnerable!

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
A clear stab at stirring up controversy and free publicity. Stay classy Infinity Ward. You get a 3/10 for execution. 1/10 for effort.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Well, Activision surely want so create some controversy. There is no easier way to spread info about your product, and stations like Fox are very happy to help.

Kielgasten

Oct 12, 2009
Why is this an issue?
Does anyone complain when this sort of thing happens in movies? or books?
No? Didn´t think so, move along...

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
This just in: Shock and awe stops being special when you're doing it every five minutes. Seriously, how about a Modern Warfare game that's just entirely the SAS sneaking around without blowing anything up? After that, anything will seem SOO KEWL.