Developer Shrugs Off Controversial Modern Warfare 3 Leak

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I'll post here what I posted elsewhere.

Kopikatsu said:
I don't understand why this is controversial.

'Games are art' argument: CoD is a military shooter. Civilians die in war, aka 'Shit happens'. To show civilian causalities in a military shooter shouldn't be a big deal.

'Objective/Realist' argument: They're polygons for godsakes. Who cares?

INGSOC225

Dec 27, 2009
Not only is it poor in taste, but they keep using Gaz's voice actor. He died in the first game! Let him keep his dignity!

SpaceGnome

Apr 23, 2009
yes I'm sure they did all they could to stop this completely controversial, guaranteed to be talked about, discussed and publicised scene from reaching the masses even with this thread and ones like it we are playing right in to there hands, just ignore it and have a happy feeling inside that somewhere you are annoying an executive. :)

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Oh look, so despite people constantly managing to steal Modern Warfare 3 for the past 2 months, the only gameplay footage that has reliably 'leaked' online is the part that will inevitably generate the most controversy online and in the reactionary press. And of course Infinity Ward come over all coy and beg people not to judge it.

Actually, this is the second time they've begged for there not to be a controversy over the game. The last one went something like "Please, please don't compare the New York levels of the game to 9/11. We couldn't possibly benefit from a massive controversy arising from that now, could we?"

The thought that keeps me going at night is the idea that in some parallel universe, an identical Modern Warfare 3 game is being released but news outlets are reporting: "This just in: a new game in the bestselling Modern Warfare series features the most absurdly retarded story ever written into any form of media. The government is being pressed by lobby groups to hold an inquiry into a lack of realism and the overuse of Cold War paranoia in interactive entertainment."

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Im just a little bit over the point of complete apathy. Just enough to write this post in fact

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
While I do hate MW games and shit I find this whole thing really dumb i mean so what there fucking pixels if children die so fucking what I love murdering children in games like Fallout and Deus Ex lets me get fully emersed or comment a complete Genecide of the game

Somtime I hate how overreacting people get about games and shit

SpectralAnomaly

Apr 4, 2010
The controvesy in MW2 wore off in about 10 seconds for me, after the same 5 cloned people die in beautifully scripted droves, regardless of whether you shot at them or not. I can see why they do it, to say THESE ARE THE BAD GUYS BTW => and to get the game talked about, raising the profile of one of the most famous games in existance even more.

tendaji

Aug 15, 2008
The Tank Commander getting executed in BF3 felt more controversial than this. But it's just Activision trying to get more publicity out there about their game. I mean Modern Warfare, the nuke seen was unexpected, as well as pretty awesome. "No Russian" made no sense, seeing how the undercover agent could have killed the terrorists and that would be the end of it. Now with this, they are just trying to get coverage to sell their game even more. There is no such thing as bad publicity.

Ramoth Gilead

Sep 10, 2010
I think as humans we should be appalled at the thought of a child being blown up by terrorists. The terrorists of the world believe so, and the governments that are moved to action because of this believe it as well. The game is depicting extreme circumstances that are moving military to action. It is our job as players to stop those who are inciting such terrorism, or am i missing the point of these games. Yes these are just games, but there are certain things that, as human beings, we should be appalled at, does this mean that the medium should not include it? Well surely that would be a massive step backwards for the industry that is trying to be taken seriously. CONTEXT PEOPLE!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I hate this dramatic posturing. It's not controversial to depict realistic violence. Reporters have been doing that since Vietnam. Get over it. And if your so sensitive, I would advise you do your best to ignore the internet.

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
Gasp! CONTROVERSY!!!

But seriously, I kinda expect this now from Call Of Duty.

The nuke in Modern Warfare 1: genuinely surprising, completely horrifying, emotionally crippling, made me have to stop playing just to process exactly what the hell the game just did.

The opening of World At War: really, really fucking cheesy, cheap attempt to make the Japanese seem eeeeeeeeeeviilllll, blood does not automatically make you more mature.

No Russian in Modern Warfare 2: interesting experiment, made me feel a bit bad, lost its impact when it turned into an actual level, did feel like they were just trying to recapture the shock and awe of the nuke/presidential car ride/gorram everything of Modern Warfare 1.

Just about everything in Black Ops: Not in the least bit surprising (anyone who didn't see the Fight Club style twist coming needs to ingest some fucking pop culture), arrive every 5 minutes, no impact.

This scene in Modern Warfare 3: free publicity, "Jesus, those animations are horrible! And the fucking voice acting!"

Do you see what I'm getting at, Infinity Ward? You lose the shock value and you lose the appeal of big boundary pushing sequences like these when you do them every single fucking time! Uncharted 3's big set pieces (the bits that weren't given away in every single bit of publicity, anyway) stick out more because there's enough down time between them to recover from them, they have a reason for being there and they are playable!

But I'm not going to go on about this anymore. I'm talking about the game, and that's exactly what Activision wants. So I'll just leave you with this...

Call Of Duty makers:

mr.mystery

Mar 24, 2011
Personally im looking forward to MW3. I only wish that it came out in december so I wouldnt have to debate weather to play it or skyrim.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Jodah said:
And yet nobody makes a peep when this sort of thing happens in movies. Fun times.
Hell, I've seen worse on television. This is just, "Look! A child on vacation! Oh, shame, they died in an explosion, and you couldn't even see their death."
There was a BBC series called Occupation. The opening scene was more violent, scary, realistic, and emotionally involving, and the child involved didn't die then. If you want controversy, use a bit of restraint, guys.

jetriot

Sep 9, 2011
I am not a fan of MW3 and I have a little girl of my own, but I fail to see the controversy in this. In the second game they made you an active killer of innocents in an air port. I can see the controversy there. This is a cut scene where a family(a poorly voiced one) gets blown up by terrorists. I have seen worse during daytime television.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Frizzle said:
This is a big deal, but a movie about a guy's daughter who gets kidnapped so she can be sold into sexual slavery never has a peep made about it. AND it's considered a great movie. One day I'll understand people..

lol who am I kidding. No I won't.
Taken was a great movie.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
It is, I agree. It's just stupid - to me - how people can start crap over a video game that doesn't have anything NEAR what hollywood has put out there. They just do it because it's a video game.