Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Casual Shinji said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Woodsey said:
It looks like a younger version of the same person to me, which is what they were trying to get I believe.
Don't you understand. The devs are not Japanese, which means that they will fail on every single level of justifiable existence! Otaku-tards piss me off.
Ninja Theory is a bad developer regardless of nationality.

And even if they're not that bad, they're still not good enough to handle a game like DMC. Having a well-established franchise change developer is almost always a bad idea, but if you have to, atleast give it to someone who knows what they're doing.
I can understand that, but I'll give an example. Square-enix and Bioware can both be considered great developers yes? Now imagine if it was announced that Bioware was going to develop a new Final Fantasy game. Some people would hate the decision just because Bioware isn't a Japanese dev. Those are the kind of fanboys I hate.
I'm not even that much of a DMC fan, it's just that I'm confused by Capcom's recent thought process.

Like with shipping Dead Rising 2 to another developer. I'm not saying the first game was perfect, but if Capcom took their time and ironed out the faults, the sequel could've been great. But instead they give it to a developer no one's ever heard of who succeeds in copying the mistakes of the first game aswell as making the game worse in both controls and graphics. Maybe I'm jumping the gun with this one, but I played DR2: Case Zero and it was God awful.

I just look at this whole DMC business as yet another very odd decision by Capcom.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Gigaguy64 said:
Aura Guardian said:
-Zen- said:
Cue the mass of ignorant statements. "All they changed was his hair, you whiny fanboys." Assholes.
OK fine...Only because you asked.
"All they changed was his hair, you whiny fanboys."
Happy? Good...Despite me being a fan of the DMC series...I just hope is voice actor is good. I mean I "LOVE" the new look.
Same here.
I like they way he looks.
From a few of the screen shots you could see his hair turning white.
i think its gonna be awesome to see ho he changes from New Dante to the one we all know and somewhat love.

Besides, i loved it when Dante put out his cig in the demon's face during the Trailer.
He still has that "i don't give a fuck" attitude at least.
Uhh...I did put "love" in quotes. I'm not liking the look...nor hating it. It's ok in my opinion.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
cainx10a said:
Evilsanta said:
Wait what what? I saw a post that stated that Dante needs to reload his guns and making it more realistic? WTF!? The over the top action and stuff was the thing that made DMC fun and good... If they are changing that then they really are fucking the game up.
Dante can reload his guns in a matter of nano seconds. But it happens so fast that no animation would do it any justice.
I never saw him do that in the other games...So why should he do it now?

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
Gigaguy64 said:
Aura Guardian said:
-Zen- said:
Cue the mass of ignorant statements. "All they changed was his hair, you whiny fanboys." Assholes.
Happy? Good...Despite me being a fan of the DMC series...I just hope is voice actor is good. I mean I "LOVE" the new look.
Same here.
i think its gonna be awesome to see ho he changes from New Dante to the one we all know and somewhat love.

Besides, i loved it when Dante put out his cig in the demon's face during the Trailer.
Uhh...I did put "love" in quotes. I'm not liking the look...nor hating it. It's ok in my opinion.
Ohh.
I though you were make sure people knew you did like the new look.
:p
Interpretation fail.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Amnestic said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
To be honest, I was fine with anything they did with Dante, even as recently as DMC4. But this...this Dante just looks stupid.
I think this is the main objection. Throughout the series Dante has always looked pretty much the same. White hair, long red coat, pretty cocky demeanour, badass attitude.

The new one...not so much. For a game which is almost entirely about the spectacle of it all, changing the well-loved appearance of the main charcter seems to me like a big faux-pas. Even Nero was mostly the same with the exception of a couple of emo moments, but then, Dante wasn't without his emo either (LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHHTTTTTTTTT)
Yes, but the thing is that Dante and Nero's emo demeanor came from understandable reasons.

Dante
saw the woman whom he had feelings for die trying to save him

Nero
continually failed trying to save the girl he loved

I know DMC has never been known for its story but that's the basis of the character and part of the reason why people hate the new Dante. His emoness doesn't seem to stem from anything. His look just gives off that typical teenage emo feel without any sort of reason as to why. Perhaps when the game comes out, it will be more understandable (though I'm hoping they change his look by the time the game is released). I'm waiting until release to give my full judgement. If it turns out to work together, great, but if it doesn't....well I guess lots of people will cry out in unison "I told you so!"

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Gigaguy64 said:
Aura Guardian said:
Gigaguy64 said:
Aura Guardian said:
-Zen- said:
Same here.

Ohh.
Interpretation fail.
S'ok. Remember. It's an ok look. Not bad nor good

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
Gigaguy64 said:
Aura Guardian said:
Gigaguy64 said:
Aura Guardian said:
-Zen- said:
Same here.

Ohh.
Interpretation fail.
S'ok. Remember. It's an ok look. Not bad nor good
Ehh, i DO like it more than some other people.
But i will admit its not the best thing iv ever seen.
*Covers Head*

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Evilsanta said:
cainx10a said:
Evilsanta said:
Wait what what? I saw a post that stated that Dante needs to reload his guns and making it more realistic? WTF!? The over the top action and stuff was the thing that made DMC fun and good... If they are changing that then they really are fucking the game up.
Dante can reload his guns in a matter of nano seconds. But it happens so fast that no animation would do it any justice.
Although the point I was trying to make was it's not needed, a gun reloading animation, a stylish one can be pretty fun to watch :s

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Fr33Kye said:
Casual Shinji said:

And even if they're not that bad, they're still not good enough to handle a game like DMC. Having a well-established franchise change developer is almost always a bad idea, but if you have to, atleast give it to someone who knows what they're doing.
One game makes you think ninja theory is a bad dev? According to many people here dmc 2 and 4 both sucked so i guess the last guys didn't know what they were doing either. You should try giving a developer a chance, i don't ever judge a developer by one game.
I recently played the Enslaved demo and was shit too. Probably even more so than Heavenly Sword.

Yes, DMC 4 was bad. But there was one thing about it that was great and that was the hack 'n slash action. Even throughout the bad games, DMC has always had stellar fighting controls that were very deep and sharp as a whip. Compare that to Heavenly Sword's and Enslaved's clunky one dimensional button bashing and you might understand why my trust in Ninja Theory's capability at handling DMC is somewhat zero.

But I promise, if Ninja Theory is able to make a DMC game that is atleast as good as DMC 4 (interms of fighting mechanics), I'll personally get down on my knees and smootch their hairy butts.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
They should've handled the character design with much greater care. I'm not saying the original Dante was a great design, but he was easily recognizable and his image has been cemented into the fanbase's brain over the years.

And handing the franchise over to a developer who clearly isn't capable of overseeing such a large franchise was the biggest mistake of all.
I honestly think Dante was in need of a serious change. Around the time that he became boring and stagnant in DMC4, I knew something had to change in the next game or the serious was just going to slowly bleed out until there was nothing left put a pale corpse. This could be a very good thing.

Also:
Honestly, the biggest bothersome thing to me is the clothes, as the trailer hints at his hair color changing. He does look like Dante, just a very young dante​

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
cainx10a said:
Evilsanta said:
cainx10a said:
Evilsanta said:
Although the point I was trying to make was it's not needed, a gun reloading animation, a stylish one can be pretty fun to watch :s

Ohh....I totally missed that...My bad. I feel really stupid...

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
you can tell that Hideki Kamiya really liked the old dante, if you pay close attention to bayonetta, she qoutes quite a few lines from the first game and a few plot elements are the same/similar to the fist Devil May Cry.

one example is she and dante both said "flock off feather face" when facing a flying boss and both defeated said boss in a coliseum.

also, Jeane is like Nelo Angelo being a friend/relative to the main character and brain washed by the big bad guy to do his dirty work.

of the Dantes i liked the first one best, the third/forth's personality took a bit of getting used to and the second was too serious for me.

the new one i don't care for at all, i'll try the demo but if it doesn't get better then i won't bother. the protagonist is what makes the game, they need to be appealing to the audience or no one would buy the game. some people have told some haters to "grow up its just a hair colour" but they'd be in the same boat if lets say the masterchief had his armour redesigned alone with his personality and they removed his helmet.

on a note i'm on the ropes with P*'s new game Vanquish, the gameplay is great but i hate the main character's personality. he plainly a d*ck.

Jkudo

Aug 17, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Fr33Kye said:
Casual Shinji said:

One game makes you think ninja theory is a bad dev? According to many people here dmc 2 and 4 both sucked so i guess the last guys didn't know what they were doing either. You should try giving a developer a chance, i don't ever judge a developer by one game.
I recently played the Enslaved demo and was shit too. Probably even more so than Heavenly Sword.

Yes, DMC 4 was bad. But there was one thing about it that was great and that was the hack 'n slash action. Even throughout the bad games, DMC has always had stellar fighting controls that were very deep and sharp as a whip. Compare that to Heavenly Sword's and Enslaved's clunky one dimensional button bashing and you might understand why my trust in Ninja Theory's capability at handling DMC is somewhat zero.

But I promise, if Ninja Theory is able to make a DMC game that is atleast as good as DMC 4 (interms of fighting mechanics), I'll personally get down on my knees and smootch their hairy butts.
lol personally, i think that even though they are changing a bit, i would like to believe that they would keep most of the fighting mechanics.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
jboking said:
Casual Shinji said:
They should've handled the character design with much greater care. I'm not saying the original Dante was a great design, but he was easily recognizable and his image has been cemented into the fanbase's brain over the years.

And handing the franchise over to a developer who clearly isn't capable of overseeing such a large franchise was the biggest mistake of all.
I honestly think Dante was in need of a serious change. Around the time that he became boring and stagnant in DMC4, I knew something had to change in the next game or the serious was just going to slowly bleed out until there was nothing left put a pale corpse. This could be a very good thing.

Also:
Honestly, the biggest bothersome thing to me is the clothes, as the trailer hints at his hair color changing. He does look like Dante, just a very young dante​
I still think the redesign is terrible. Don't get me wrong, the original design was pretty silly too, but it had this campy demonic J-rock feel to it that just made it work. Now it looks like they're going for this gritty teenage drifter look wich probably implies that the game itself is going that direction aswell.

vanthebaron

Sep 16, 2010
-Zen- said:

I'll say it for the 10th time, he doesn't have the silver hair because he doesn't have his powers yet.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
I still think the redesign is terrible. Don't get me wrong, the original design was pretty silly too, but it had this campy demonic J-rock feel to it that just made it work. Now it looks like they're going for this gritty teenage drifter look wich probably implies that the game itself is going that direction aswell.
and you are perfectly entitled to your opinion, but I honestly feel the new design isn't that bad and could at least give some much needed change to the character and series. While I can see the story going "Teenage drifter" on us, I also recognize that I was never too worried about story in DMC games. I wont knock the grittier look until I see more of it in action is all I'm saying.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
vanthebaron said:
-Zen- said:

I'll say it for the 10th time, he doesn't have the silver hair because he doesn't have his powers yet.
He says in the DMC 1 opening that he always had powers. His demonic side was awakened in DMC 3. And even before that he had white hair and he was like 18. This is a lousy attempt to bring the game to a wider audience. But assholes should first impress the fans, then try to sell it to other people. This way they lose the fans and they have to try to gain new customers.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I hate when people say wait for it to come out before you make a judgment. Before Metroid Other M came out I knew it wouldn't be a real Metroid game and there'd be some drastic changes. I was right, I'd rather play Zero Mission or Prime.

I don't want to play as a anorexic emo chain smoking Dante, I want to play as DANTE. The prick the guy who taunts enemies while he's got a giant sword through his chest. It's like hey lets make Megaman 6 feet tall, give him giant shoulders and have him meet his past self where he's still small. ...OH WAIT that happened.

vanthebaron

Sep 16, 2010
ImprovizoR said:
vanthebaron said:
-Zen- said:

He says in the DMC 1 opening that he always had powers. His demonic side was awakened in DMC 3. And even before that he had white hair and he was like 18. This is a lousy attempt to bring the game to a wider audience. But assholes should first impress the fans, then try to sell it to other people. This way they lose the fans and they have to try to gain new customers.
it could be hair dye, you know, blending in.