Devil May Cry Reboot Designed to Provoke Fans

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Devil May Cry Reboot Designed to Provoke Fans

If the new Dante upset you, annoyed you, or indeed, made you want to say something about it at all, then he did exactly what Capcom hoped he would.

The fan reaction when Capcom unveiled [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103525-TGS-10-Devil-May-Cry-Getting-Reboot-Face-Lift] the new Devil May Cry at the Tokyo Game Show last month was mixed, thanks to the hefty makeover developer Ninja Theory had given lead character Dante. Ninja Theory defended [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103685-Ninja-Theory-Defends-Dante-Redesign-UPDATED] Dante's new look, saying that it was a sorely needed update, but it turns out that there was more to it than that. According to Capcom, part of the reason for the radical new look was to shock people into talking about Devil May Cry again.

Capcom's Chris Svensson said that the company had been well aware the changes would evoke a very strong reaction in fans, and that it had deliberately asked Ninja Theory to come up with different and more creative designs. "The original concepts that came back for Dante were actually extremely close to the Dante everyone knows and loves," he explained. "The feedback that came back from [Keiji] Inafune and [Hideaki] Itsuno was, 'No guys, this needs to be completely different, we need you to go much further and be much more creative.'" He said that by mixing things up and getting people talking, Capcom dramatically raised the visibility of the game, and stopped it from being just another Devil May Cry.

Svensson said not to expect any major changes to Dante's design before the game launches either, at least not until the end of the game. "This is meant to be an origin story," he said. "There are going to be some interesting changes and twists to what people think they know about Dante or where he came from."

By saying that it was part of a strategy, Svensson makes it sound a little cold and clinical, like Capcom was manipulating its fans, but if you put aside the language that Svensson uses and look at what Capcom actually did, it's clearly just an attempt to revitialize the series and make it exciting again. After the excesses of Devil May Cry 4, it might be just what the series needs.

Source: IGN [http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/112/1129209p1.html]

Jul 22, 2009
Hmm in their feedback thread the DmC redesign was heavily criticised by almost every poster...

I hope they either redesign this or after this go back to the DMC3 formula.

Apr 28, 2008
Capcom be trollin'...

Then again Infamous 2's Cole did get redesigned to look a bit more like the first's, so who knows, maybe if the fans yell enough, they'll get Capcom to make it look like the older Dante.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
I'm kind of confused as to exactly why they are doing a prequel to a series that already has a prequel in it, but meh.
The new Dante looks alright, and I'd much rather have the old Dante back, but I can see what they are getting at with these changes.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
What's with some of these Japanese developers making gamers jump through hoops to get games and just plain going batshit crazy lately?

"You're being manipulated, just as expected HA ah HA uh HA!"

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Eh, I mean it's one of those things that you just can't please everyone. Some hate it, some don't. Sells will reflect if this was a good move or not

vanthebaron

Sep 16, 2010
capcom you sneky bastards.I figured as much, you guys never really did like to stick with a good thing.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
make fans talk by making Dante look like a horse's a$$ nice going capcom, i will still get the game

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Nice one Capcom. Using fanboys to your advantage is always an awesome move, even if they don't buy your game because of it XD

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Now I feel like a pawn in a diabolical game...

It feels nice. I have no problems with the new Dante as long the cocky attitude stays.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Irridium said:
Capcom be trollin'...

Then again Infamous 2's Cole did get redesigned to look a bit more like the first's, so who knows, maybe if the fans yell enough, they'll get Capcom to make it look like the older Dante.
lets hope the voice is the same, graveling, whiskey dry voice fit the character

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Radeonx said:
I'm kind of confused as to exactly why they are doing a prequel to a series that already has a prequel in it, but meh.
The new Dante looks alright, and I'd much rather have the old Dante back, but I can see what they are getting at with these changes.
uh, the zelda franchise only has one sequel, Zelda 2 on the NES

the rest of the zelda games are all prequels and non canons, with prequels too =P

Apr 28, 2008
therandombear said:
Irridium said:
Capcom be trollin'...

Wait, Cole or Dante?

Because Cole now sounds like Ellis.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Irridium said:
therandombear said:
Irridium said:
Capcom be trollin'...

Wait, Cole or Dante?

Cole, keep cole's old voice from infamous 1.
Even though I love ellis' voice from L4D2, it doesn't fit the lone man who is betrayed by his friend, and tricked into letting his girlfriend die :p

Apr 28, 2008
therandombear said:
Irridium said:
therandombear said:
Irridium said:
Capcom be trollin'...

Wait, Cole or Dante?

Cole, keep cole's old voice from infamous 1.
Even though I love ellis' voice from L4D2, it doesn't fit the lone man who is betrayed by his friend, and tricked into letting his girlfriend die :p
Perhaps his new voice will have an air of spoiler tags around them ;)

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
What would be creative is overhauling the character while leaving key characteristics of him in place. To an extent, something like the difference between Super Mario Bros. Mario and Super Mario World Mario. Something that would say, this is actually the character we're telling you it is, not just some thing we drew. They say that the most creativity comes from working around your constraints.

However, what would be even more creative is having an original IP for once.

CAPCOM.