Devs Had to Demand Female Focus Testers for The Last of Us

Apr 28, 2008
Helen Jones said:
Female here, not sure I understand the problem. Why do they need to specifically find out what women think, they're not specifically finding out what men think of the game, are they?
Surely they were going to get a random sample of gamers to beta test the game and give feedback which, being from a random sample, would include female gamers views.
It's not that they specifically want to find out what women think, it's that they want to find out what women think along with what men think. Apparently they weren't going to ask women at all, only men.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Next thing Naughty Dog will be announcing through their PR department will be that a member of their development team successfully preformed the Heimlich Maneuver to save a female play-tester from choking. As the CEO of a major publisher stood back watched, while smoking a cigar made entirely out of rolled up hundred dollar bills and gold dust.

At this stage the bullshit is getting a little thick.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Helen Jones said:
Female here, not sure I understand the problem. Why do they need to specifically find out what women think, they're not specifically finding out what men think of the game, are they?
Surely they were going to get a random sample of gamers to beta test the game and give feedback which, being from a random sample, would include female gamers views.
When you give a game only to male focus testers you are specifically finding out what men think. Naughty Dog had to request that they include females in the focus testing groups. Which is insane.

2clueless

Clueless since 2003
Apr 11, 2012
Sicram said:
Cheers for ND! Too bad that it's a PS3 exclusive :/
Agreed. At this point, I'd buy it just to support a progressive developer.

However, one has to wonder at all this publicized conflict. Are these guys truly a group of crusaders championing a worthy cause for the good of all? Or are they super-savvy business-people correctly reading the political climate and cashing in on this wave of gender equality? Does it matter?

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
I think there is a broader story here-just how much do Focus Groups drive the artistic vision? I don't mean to say that it doesn't happen in other media, or that every developer is beholden to the marketing department, but it does seem to be the norm. This would be like if some marketing suit had walked up to Orson Welles and told him he needed to have a Musical Number in Citizen Kane.

Jiefu

May 24, 2010
Christ corporate America, do you not realize that women also have money to vacuum? I mean, the NFL realizes it, and from a business perspective, you want to be like them.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I find it outright bizarre that the idea of including some female gamers amidst the focus group is in any way groundbreaking. Good on naughty dog for ignoring some very silly traditions indeed.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
Respect points to Naughty Dog for standing their ground and not giving a fuck. I'm glad that they didn't roll over, and I know it's really easy to.

Jiefu

May 24, 2010
Mahoshonen said:
I think there is a broader story here-just how much do Focus Groups drive the artistic vision? I don't mean to say that it doesn't happen in other media, or that every developer is beholden to the marketing department, but it does seem to be the norm. This would be like if some marketing suit had walked up to Orson Welles and told him he needed to have a Musical Number in Citizen Kane.
These suits, their focus groups, and other such business school crap are huge drivers of what does, and does not, get made all over the media world - including video games. That's why we get so much "follow the leader" - someone saw Call of Duty sold 300 zepbillion copies, and decided that that is how you make money on video games, so we get a bunch of crappy knock-offs. In the movie business, the same thing happened. In 2002, Sam Raimi's Spider-Man became the first movie to make $100M in a single weekend. Between box office and other revenues, it made about $1B. For a movie in 2002, that shook out to be an absurd amount of money. So for the past 11 years, we've been getting follow the leader works - like the abominations that were Green Lantern, X3: Last Stand, Transformers, Transformers 2, Transformers 3. Now fortunately this trend actually resulted in an abnormally high number of good movies, but the stinkers were still there, still made money, and will keep coming until they don't (good or not, DC will be making a Justice League movie because dammit Avengers made like 30 trillion dollars and we have what's basically the same thing help what is moviemaking). Video games do the same thing - Riot Games makes 30 trillion dollars per second from League of Legends, so I'll be damned if I'm going to sit around not getting a piece of a pie that my crude, scientifically unfounded models show is there and is also huge and also also easy to take.

Basically I hate business people for not knowing how shit works (i.e. make something that doesn't suck).

Keith K

Oct 29, 2009
What's the point of focus testing if you're curating your testing group?

Of course.. that makes so much sense. How else could Army of Two possibly exist other than a bunch of Dudebro shuffled into a room and queried on their bropinions.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
This makes me glad I preordered it. I loved the Jak series and the Uncharted series and am glad to support such a positive dev group

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
This is the second time i've heard news of naughty dog having to fight for women, it's getting ridiculaous. I feel i'll have to buy the game multiple times so that naughty dog can make such a profit that people realise women exist. Shouldn't be this hard to get female leads, we live in the future damnit!

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Paradoxrifts said:
Next thing Naughty Dog will be announcing through their PR department will be that a member of their development team successfully preformed the Heimlich Maneuver to save a female play-tester from choking. As the CEO of a major publisher stood back watched, while smoking a cigar made entirely out of rolled up hundred dollar bills and gold dust.

At this stage the bullshit is getting a little thick.
And the tears of third world children who made the box art covers with only a man in a sweat shop. Children tears hold the best cigars together.

2clueless said:
Sicram said:
Cheers for ND! Too bad that it's a PS3 exclusive :/
Agreed. At this point, I'd buy it just to support a progressive developer.

However, one has to wonder at all this publicized conflict. Are these guys truly a group of crusaders championing a worthy cause for the good of all? Or are they super-savvy business-people correctly reading the political climate and cashing in on this wave of gender equality? Does it matter?

See I read both of these comments and thought..... Hmmmmm is it really this bad? Are the people of the various development teams really this oppressed? Or is there some HELLACIOUS hype going on? If it were really this bad would we even have female DEVELOPERS? These guys make it sound like the publishers all smack a woman on the ass as she walks by because it will "improve her mood and make her feel good about herself"

If it really is this bad then how the fuck are these publishers still in business? And why are we not hearing about some major lawsuits yet?

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
Helen Jones said:
I'm in the same boat as you; I don't understand why including female testers in the focus group is that big of a deal or why the lack thereof would be such a problem (aside from maybe a research standpoint, to see if the game does have broader appeal).

The game isn't even about gender, it's about a fungal-zombie apocalypse, with a male protagonist to boot. If they really wanted fine-tune it to appeal to their target audience they'd only demand fans of the genre, not a forced ratio based on sex.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
nathan-dts said:
That box art thing just angers me.
But at least they didn't give in like they did with Bioshock Infinite.

I find it rather appalling that this "no women in the focus testing or on the cover" thing isn't just an oversight, but an active and systematic endeavor by publishers. I suppose it makes sense that none of this is an accident, but still. It's rather disturbing. Or "creepy," as I believe Jim Sterling worded it.

I realize these actions stem from a desire to make money rather than actual misogyny, but I still can't help but feel this way when I hear of devs fighting tooth and nail for things that I never realized was even a problem. If I'd realized my gender was going to be such a problem for the games industry, I would have avoided the mistake of not being a white, heterosexual male between the ages of 18 and 30.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Naughty Dog is a pretty cool guy.
And I can't think of any way to frame the rest of that so they're just cool guys.

Lilani said:
nathan-dts said:
That box art thing just angers me.
But at least they didn't give in like they did with Bioshock Infinite.
To be fair, they did include and advertise the fact that there's the reversible cover. That's better than a lot of companies, and even when not dealing with gender politics I'd like to see that kind of stuff more often, variety never hurts.

Lilani

May 27, 2009
UberPubert said:
I'm in the same boat as you; I don't understand why including female testers in the focus group is that big of a deal or why the lack thereof would be such a problem (aside from maybe a research standpoint, to see if the game does have broader appeal).

The game isn't even about gender, it's about a fungal-zombie apocalypse, with a male protagonist to boot. If they really wanted fine-tune it to appeal to their target audience they'd only demand fans of the genre, not a forced ratio based on sex.
The idea of focus testing is to present your work to a group of people who accurately represent portions of your customer base, so that you can gain perceptive on how the public at large will react to it. When you're making something, you are too close to it in order to be able to determine what the audience is going to think of what is put in front of them, so focus groups give you an unbiased way to critique your work.

In theory, one should poll at least a few different groups of people in order to get the broadest range of perspectives. Believe it or not, men and women do react to things differently at times, so if you're going to sell something that is for either gender getting both sides is important. However, the exclusion of women from this process means they aren't interested in that demographic. It basically is about forcing demographic ratios, because you want the broadest range of opinions so you aren't testing your game in a vacuum. When designing a game it is important to know what fans of that genre will think of it, but it's also equally useful to know what people who aren't familiar with the genre think of it. And men, and women, and everybody else who might play the game, even outside the demographic they are aiming for. Again, the game shouldn't be designed in a vacuum.

It's this blind following of very limited groups of focus testers that lead to Elizabeth not being on the cover of Bioshock Infinite. Apparently their panels of exclusively male focus testers didn't like Elizabeth being equally portrayed on the cover, so they booted her to the back, even though she is by all accounts the most prevalent protagonist in the game.

Lilani

May 27, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
To be fair, they did include and advertise the fact that there's the reversible cover. That's better than a lot of companies, and even when not dealing with gender politics I'd like to see that kind of stuff more often, variety never hurts.
But it still wasn't their top priority. While I agree it is a good step that they took the initiative to do that, and we should tell them in big bold letters "THIS IS GOOD, KEEP DOING THIS," they've still made it clear they value the opinions of those focus groups more than anything else. So really, what I would like to tell them in big bold letters is "THIS IS GOOD, BUT WE BOTH KNOW YOU CAN BE GREAT."