Diablo 3 Beta Goes Public This Weekend

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Diablo 3 Beta Goes Public This Weekend

Help stress test Blizzard's servers with a three-day demon kill-a-thon.

Up until now, the lands of Sanctuary have had a decently strict immigration policy, but with a May 15th full release date fast approaching, special beta keys be damned; Blizzard is opening up Diablo 3 to everyone with an internet connection for exactly 69 hours and 59 minutes. Would-be Witch Doctors and Demon Hunters everywhere, rejoice!

If you want to take part in the weekend madness, head over to Battle.net and start downloading the client. [https://us.battle.net/account/download/?show=d3] Then, beginning today at 12:01 P.M. PDT, you can grind a character all the way up to level 13 until Monday, April 23 at 10:00 A.M. PDT. During this window you'll have access to all five classes, and be able to team up with and join friends in an, admittedly, abbreviated quest to save the world from the forces of doom.

Is there a catch? Not really. You're going to need to have a Battle.net account and a "BattleTag", but both can be created for free right here. [http://us.battle.net/en/] Other than that, just try to make sure you aren't in Korea. Sorry Seoulers, due to some regional differences and the stress test client, you'll need to wait a bit longer before diving in with the rest of the world. Everyone else on the planet is a-okay, so if you can't see Changdeokgung Palace from your window, you're probably golden. Get playing!

Source: Battle.net [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4963739/Diablo%C2%AE_III_Open_Beta_Weekend-4_19_2012#blog]

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
yeah I tried but unfortunately I'm having problems with the down loader. Oh well as long as it works by launch I don't mind to much.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
My downloader absolutely steamed the 15gb. Just waiting for the auth servers to pop online, I guess.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Mahorfeus said:
I got all excited until I read 12:00 PM PDT. Ah well, after work I guess.
As far as I'm aware, that's now?
Yeah, not able to log in at the moment. Don't get too excited.

Edit: Or is it in 40min? I don't know American timezones.
Edit: Ah, it *is* in 40min. Alas.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Loop Stricken said:
Mahorfeus said:
I got all excited until I read 12:00 PM PDT. Ah well, after work I guess.
As far as I'm aware, that's now?
Yeah, not able to log in at the moment. Don't get too excited.

Edit: Or is it in 40min? I don't know American timezones.
Edit: Ah, it *is* in 40min. Alas.
PDT is GMT -9 I believe.

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
The hell. It's telling me I can't connect to the battle.net patch service. No downloading ahead of time? Guess I'll find out in five minutes.

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Loop Stricken said:
It's been eight whole minutes and I can't connect!
Nope, neither can I. Their help page is of no help either.

"This error message usually occurs when Setup or the Diablo III launcher cannot connect to the internet.
Since you were able to successfully load this page, it appears your basic internet connection is working normally. This indicates that a third-party program or application is interfering with your internet connection. For instructions on disabling these programs, please visit our Closing Background Applications page."

Except there's no such thing as a Closing Background Applications page. I highly doubt I'll be getting help to download it today. Looks like no D3 action.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Few things:

1) When you open D3, go into Options and change region to The Americas, if you're not actually IN The Americas.
2) Keep trying. I've had server busy messages, one telling me I don't have a D3 licence, and am now stuck on Retrieving Hero List.

[Edit: And now Battle.net has suffered a 'temporary outage'...]

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Okay, so.

Managed to log in. Character creation timed out several times, but I created a barbarian and a demon hunter.

I seem unable to actually select them in order to start a game, however.

Lucyfer86

Jun 30, 2011
Been playing it about half hour now, and all i can say already is woooooah! This game is so awesome, as to be expected. Can't wait for the 15th.

Tho as a Diablo 2 veteran, it's sad that stat point customization is gone, but that doesn't ruin my enjoyment.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Alas, I got kicked off whilst trying to start a game, because apparently I don't have a D3 licence on my account.

And now I can't log back in because Bnet is down, or the servers are busy. Whoop.

bobfish92

Feb 2, 2011
Its 2 hours long, disappointingly streamlined but fun enough. I wasn't sure about the player character having a voice but after a few interactions with the paladin follower after a big fight that actually seem to be relatively suitable to what just happened, it seems quite good.

However, I've not seen one gem, the lack of stat customization and customization in general is very annoying, the gambling system has been replaced by a crafting system that takes up inventory space for the components and means you have to pick up useless items just to harvest them and its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy. I only used one health potion, and it was in the final boss battle.

Combat is good, art style is nice, i've seen no graphical errors and character interaction is amusing and appropriate to the situation. I guess I'll just split my Diablo fix between 3 and Torchlight 2.

E: Also, the beta is 2 hours long including all side-dungeons, I scraped every map clean.