Diablo 3 "Feels Even Better" With a Controller

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Diablo 3 "Feels Even Better" With a Controller

Diablo 3 Director Jay Wilson says the game feels mighty good on an Xbox 360-style analog game controller.

If you're a die-hard PC gamer, get ready to freak out, because the console crowd is pounding on your door and Blizzard is about to open it up and invite 'em in! Or something like that.

"We don't see ourselves as a PC developer - we see ourselves as a game developer," Wilson told PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/09/21/blizzards-diablo-3-experiments-%E2%80%9Coh-this-feels-even-better-with-direct-control%E2%80%9D/]. "It's just that the game that we wanted to make suits the PC platform."

But the times, they are a-changin', and although Blizzard still doesn't think a Diablo 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Starcraft-II-Wings-Liberty-Pc/dp/B000ZKA0J6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316703662&sr=8-1] is a different matter altogether.

"One of the reasons why we're exploring the idea of a console version of Diablo 3 because we feel that the controls and the style of the game lend itself to a console," he continued. "With some of our early experiments in putting a direct control scheme into the game via a 360-like analogue controller, I've been, 'Oh this feels even better, with direct control...'"

Wilson added that if a console version of Diablo 3 does get the green light, he "can pretty much guarantee" that controller support will be added to the PC version of the game, but that he doesn't think it will be ready in time for the initial release - which as I read it tends to suggest that a console version is already in the works. But I think that's been the assumption for awhile, hasn't it?

Either way, the standard mouse-and-keyboard control setup we've come to know and love in previous Diablo games isn't going anywhere. So freak out if you must, PC gamers, but try not to hurt yourselves.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Considering I found Torchlight much more natural and fun to play on the XBox, I see where they're coming from here. The main thing was the movement - movement required clicking, attacking required clicking, but with the controller you can move where you want a lot more easily, then attack in your own way. The click targeting of Diablo 1 and 2 was some of the weakest stuff in the game, in my opinion.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
How can you play Diablo without more clicks than a tap dancing school during a fire drill? Blasphemy, I say.

Dyme

Nov 18, 2009
Diablo 1 was on Playstation and it worked just fine.

I guess that's good news, because Blizzard deserves everyones' money.

What's sad is that this will probably upset some PC gamers. Why? I have no idea.

I look forward to trying this game on a console.
Nah.
The only one's complaining are console people because they have some kind of inferiority complex.
PC gamers complain, when they get an actual reason, such as horrible controls in From Dust etc.

Sep 14, 2009
oh sweet jesus toss up an armada of flame shields before the elitists get here

OT: i'm sure this will help a few friends of mine who are atrocious with keyboards and hate using them but are nifty with a controller.
Andy Chalk said:
'Oh this feels even better, with direct control...'"
would you say they are Assuming direct control?

sorry..everytime i see direct or control i immediately have to think of me2..

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
I think that out of all the "PC is the only way to play this type of game!!!" games, Diablo style dungeon crawlers are one of them which would translate to a console setup really well. I think the biggest issue would be accurate targeting of abilities and that can be accomplished by some type of Z-targeting system. Otherwise, I'm pretty excited about the prospect of playing D3 on my PS3 some day.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
finally, VITA, PS3, 360, and WiiU all should get this game, I hope they do like Portal 2 and allow play between consoles. Maybe, if not being able to play on PS3 and when I'm on the go on VITA would make that my preferred version by default. Until that happens I'll sink countless hours to PC version :)

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
To be perfectly honest, I don't see a lot of PC gamers freaking out over Diablo 3. Diablo is old, the gameplay mechanics are old. It's the same thing, only in 2012.

PC gamer here, not interested, also not surprised they're going to throw it to consoles. Diablo was fun, in 1996. I've kinda moved on in my gaming over the years.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
I havent played a Diablo game since the first one, but I could definitely imagine how much better it would be with a controller. I would buy it for my 360 if they came out with it, for sure.

Serfix

Jun 16, 2010
coldfrog said:
Considering I found Torchlight much more natural and fun to play on the XBox, I see where they're coming from here. The main thing was the movement - movement required clicking, attacking required clicking, but with the controller you can move where you want a lot more easily, then attack in your own way. The click targeting of Diablo 1 and 2 was some of the weakest stuff in the game, in my opinion.
I was just about to write something like this. It's good example how Diablo dungeon thingy works on consoles and I played Torchlight on pc and xbox and when I played it on xbox I felt bit more relaxed and well it was more "natural" to move with stick.

Thought only problem is that with pc you can keybind skills to numbers and so have more skills in your hands just in a press of a one button. But that really didn't chance the fact how I liked to play Torchlight more with xbox.

Apr 28, 2008
I wonder how Diablo 3's always-online system will work on consoles. Because then you have to rely on Sony and Microsoft to not cock up their servers, as well as Blizzard, yourself, and your service provider.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Just confirm Diablo 3 for consoles already.

You want the extra sales, and I want to BUY IT.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
As a PC gamer, I'm all for it. In fact, this may be the only reason to ever buy Diablo 3, just to see how it plays with a controller.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I'm sorry, but it's just not Diablo if you aren't breaking a mouse with clicking.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Honestly, in my own opinion, I don't think any of Blizzards current games would ever work on a console. Now I could be wrong but adding a controller to Diablo just doesnae seem right. And yes I know there is Torchlight on the 360 which is LIKE Diablo however I don't own a 360 so I have never played it.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
I've been looking forward to Diablo III since Diablo II. And then again after Titan Quest, and it's expansion pack (which were so similar to D2, yet greatly better, kind of serving as a Diablo III). The loong development, with the oh-my-god-they-hate-our-colorful-version episode, has kind of taken the edge off. But Diablo III is still a must-buy. Certainly.

At least it's still done mainly for PC. A lot of would-be-great games are nowadays full of shit, because of awfully done ports (Shift 2 Unleashed) and also from the restricted key-mapping, graphics, and so on.

But I must say I'm not pleased with this.