Diablo 3 "Feels Even Better" With a Controller

faspxina

Feb 1, 2010
It took this long to figure that out?

I think Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath games on the PS2 proved that Diablo works well on a console a long time ago.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
but doesn't this game only have 6 skill slots? Why wouldn't that work on the PS3 or 360 controller? You can use the shoulder buttons to fire, block, dodge/roll, and open menu. the d-pad and face buttons can be used for skills. Or they can do whatever Torchlight did, I dunno I don't own a 360

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Satsuki666 said:
Frostbite3789 said:
Satsuki666 said:
You can only use 6 skills at once in diablo 3, I controller has something like 18 buttons. I dont see the issue here.
Like I said once...this is exactly his point. They've already developed it with consoles in mind so they can do it while doing the least amount of work.

Despite saying otherwise about console cash-ins, they are going for them. I linked back to an article that was on this very site that said as much in an earlier post.

And moving your mouse to a location and clicking is in fact far faster than using an analogue stick. Whether you want to believe it or not. More accurate too.
You havnt made an actual point though. You are just throwing wild acusations with no point to stand on. Tell me how many active skills did you actually use at the same time in Diablo 2? I doubt you even needed to use more then six skills at once in that game. Plus you could only even have quick access to two skills at once. It is honestly far to early for you to be bitching about this since you know fuck all about the final product.

As to your mouse point in a RTS what you are saying would be relevent but in a game like Diablo it is not.
I'm not even bitching. But that's cool. I'm pointing out what's an actual thing in the world.

And what are Diablo/MoBA games except RTS games where you control one unit? In both instances speed and accuracy are extremely important if you need to target something on the quick in the middle of a mob. Accuracy a

Also funny you say 'throwing around wild accusations'...while doing it yourself. I don't think having proof for one thing, and stating an opinion for another is throwing around wild accusations anywhere except where you're from apparently.

High five, guy!

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Satsuki666 said:
E) You, being the generic console gamer, lose the ability to chat without calling people.
Yep cause those headset things are just so terrible and so much slower then typing.
Actually, if your decent at typing, you actually type faster then someone saying it, just depends on length and all that, but saying it just keeps your hands free.

bbobjs

May 2, 2011
It doesn't even matter guys because the game's going to be shit, even if it's good. When you think about it, the game is just a highly polished free to play that you also have to pay for.

solidsamurai

Jun 7, 2011
The targeting issue can be rectified on consoles quite easily, by removing the cursor entirely. To attack, a character can simply walk up to an enemy (aim with the other stick if blizz is incorporating more complicated melee, rather than walk-up and swing), hit a, and the character will swing their weapon in that direction. To pick up items, walk to an item until they get a prompt (with the item's name) and hit x. If they want to pick up a specific item in a pile, hold down r trigger and hit x (and a list of items within pick-up range will appear with a box high lighting the one you can select, scrollable with the stick).

For spells, they could auto-target. Tilting the stick in a particular direction means they auto-target the furthest enemy in view in the given direction, etc. It's possible to miss enemies this way by aiming in a completely wrong direction. It could take some getting used to, but it shouldn't be all that painful for those used to the PC version. The same applies to ranged weapons; and it might make aiming easier if they incorporate both sticks into the mix; even use another button to set up an aim; I'm pretty sure characters have to pause to shoot ranged weapons anyway, don't they?

Playing diablo 1, I found it annoying to require precision clicking skills in order to pick up the exact item you needed (or sort through a pile of items from top to bottom via picking up every single one of them).

All that said, requiring online support is BS though.

Dec 27, 2010
Yay! Flame-bait! Really people, if the fact that some Blizzard twat prefers using a console controller to a K & M (which is entirely reasonable) it doesn't mean that the game will be "dumbed down" in comparison to the first two. For f*ck sake, the first Diablo was on the PS1, and the port was absolutely fine. And besides, top-downs are one of the few genres that work better with a controller. Yeah, I f*cking said it. Heresy, I know.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Hm...the only problem I had with Diablo on the PlayStation is that when I or my brother opened the menu, it paused the game for both of us. So if one of us wanted to keep going, we pestered the other person to hurry up. Can't remember if it did that while we were shopping too.

If you like using pretty much every skill in you inventory, then I think a mouse and keyboard is the better way to go. Easier to just hit one button than two or three. But I rarely used more than three skills, so a controller layout would be fine for me.
A good question though is how is Blizzard going to deal with the always-online stuff for the consoles. Not everyone has their console hooked up to the internet.

Well, if it does come out for the PS3 and it's the same game as the PC version, then I'm getting the PS3 one.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
John Funk said:
I'm sorry, but it's just not Diablo if you aren't breaking a mouse with clicking.
Many a mice have fallen in my gaming time with Diablo. Their sacrifices were for a greater cause and/or victims of unjustified rage.

OT: Well at least this time they made more a confirmation that it will be for consoles other than a 'Well, I don't know, it would be cool though huh?'

While this does annoy me a little, I will still be playing it on a PC since it would feel weird to me otherwise.

darkknight9

Feb 21, 2010
Meh, it doesn't matter. The consoles aren't portable enough to take with me on business trips and without a steady connection I can't play anyway.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
As long as they don't trend towards making the UI and mechanics more controller centric, and push the keyboard off to the side, no big deal. Might even be fun to try with my ps3 controller for a while.

WabbitTwacks

Dec 8, 2010
Mad Stalin said:
Didn't they say like a week ago they weren't gonna make games for consoles? I smell delicious sellout
They didn't say they won't be making console games at all. They said that they won't port games which can't really be ported due to game mechanics. After all they have ported their games to consoles before.
And sellouts? Really? You know that you are talking about one of the biggest commercial game developers. They are literally swimming in money. But I don't know, maybe you have them confused with some indie studio.

robandall

Jan 25, 2010
Hammeroj said:
A) You lose speed in any type of menu management and targeting.
B) You lose speed and convenience in selecting/executing skills.
C) You lose the amount of skills you can quickly access.
A is, by far, my biggest issue with any game like this. Menu navigation, especially with item heavy games like Borderlands or Oblivion, is normally so much easier with a mouse and keyboard. B & C are also very valid concerns - the only way round that would be mapping skills to the D pad and having a second bank available with a trigger pull.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
John Funk said:
I'm sorry, but it's just not Diablo if you aren't breaking a mouse with clicking.
Many a mice have fallen in my gaming time with Diablo. Their sacrifices were for a greater cause and/or victims of unjustified rage.

OT: Well at least this time they made more a confirmation that it will be for consoles other than a 'Well, I don't know, it would be cool though huh?'

While this does annoy me a little, I will still be playing it on a PC since it would feel weird to me otherwise.
WTF do you people do to your mice playing Diablo games that breaks them so much, I've played quite a bit of Diablo and finished Diablo 2 plus hour and hours of gameplay afterward on an old first generation Microsoft optical mouse and it still works just like the day I bought it.

As for the use of a gamepad for Diablo 3, if it's an option in the PC version I'll give it a shot as long as I can use my Logitech Dual Action, I'm not buying a 360 controller for this. I think that it'll be a little weird at first but something that could be gotten used to. As long as I can put the controller down and use my mouse for inventory management and selling stuff and navigating dialogue trees.

I really see no reason to be all upset by this, maybe I've been doing it wrong all this time but I didn't have every key on my keyboard bound to something in the game and I barely used the number keys for anything other than drinking potions. I always had attack as left click and a skill as right click.

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
I kinda agree with that guys assesment that a game like Diablo lends itself for using a controller, better then any FPS game anyway.
If it "Feels better", is still a matter of comfort and taste so that's a stupid comment all together.
I wasn't gonna get it anyway with all the ridiculous DRM and the real-money auction house.
This is just another minor reason for me to be glad for passing on it.