Diablo III Hands On

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
paketep said:
The only clicks I'm hearing are those of people canceling preorders.
Exactly what I did. Going for Torchlight 2 instead-- the always on drm and lack of mod support is what turned me away. I don't object to the market, but I wonder how useful the in-game gold market will turn out to be.

Not to say I won't buy it, but not the Collector's Edition I had pre-ordered, and after release.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Kahunaburger said:
Sweet. This isn't my thing, but it makes me very happy about the near future for RPGs.
Why?

Sorta like saying that playing soccer on concrete made out of spikes isn't your thing cause you don't like soccer but are happy for its direction.

I mean, his general message was "Diablo was great, therefore I don't care about the system flaws" (or whatever you want to call DRM and such), you're saying that Diablo isn't your thing. Which is understandable, but I don't get your perspective if you say it makes you happy for the near future of RPGs, unless you're stocked for the DRM and micro transactions maybe?

(I'm sincerely confused. Not just being a dick)

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Captain Placeholder said:
WabbitTwacks said:
I don't understand the whining. The auction house is optional and this game will have more active skills than D2. so what's the big deal?
Oh it is 'Cool' to hate on things Popular. Blizzard is Very Popular. So is Activision. Therefore, popular is bad and any game that must come from either developer will be bad. All because it is the popular thing to do.

As far as I can tell they are just a bunch of fuckin' morons. However that is just me, they have yet to play it and are just bitching just to *****. A normal mind would say 'Wait until the game has been released before using any Judgement or hatred upon the game' however that is called the brain. Most don't seem to have them nowadays.
Other than your mistake calling it 'normal' to be tolerant (which was clearly just misphrasing), I very much like you good sir.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Kurokami said:
Kahunaburger said:
Sweet. This isn't my thing, but it makes me very happy about the near future for RPGs.
Why?

Sorta like saying that playing soccer on concrete made out of spikes isn't your thing cause you don't like soccer but are happy for its direction.

I mean, his general message was "Diablo was great, therefore I don't care about the system flaws" (or whatever you want to call DRM and such), you're saying that Diablo isn't your thing. Which is understandable, but I don't get your perspective if you say it makes you happy for the near future of RPGs, unless you're stocked for the DRM and micro transactions maybe?

(I'm sincerely confused. Not just being a dick)
Because I like other RPGs. Diablo III being a good game and doing well means two things to me:

A) Inspiration for other RPG devs in terms of mechanics and gameplay*,

B) The suits see RPGs making money and are more likely to okay RPGs in the future, especially if other RPGs coming out this year are also successful.

So even if it isn't my thing and I have absolutely no intention of playing it, I can still root for it because a year from now if successful it will be part of a "RPGs sell" narrative being aimed at developers.

*Edit: and I don't see the concept of micro-transactions being that workable for someone who isn't Blizzard and doesn't already have the infrastructure to handle it.

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
I don't understand why people NEED to have every character different from one another, the reality there are only a few builds that are the best for any class. Thus they only way you can have a "different" character is to have an under powered one. What your makes your character in Diablo was never the skills but the equipment you had on it. And from the description it lets you reset those skills whenever so no more grinding forever and forever to perfect a build.

EdwardOrchard

Jan 12, 2011
Kahunaburger said:
Because I like other RPGs. Diablo III being a good game and doing well means two things to me:

B) The suits see RPGs making money and are more likely to okay RPGs in the future, especially if other RPGs coming out this year are also successful.

So even if it isn't my thing and I have absolutely no intention of playing it, I can still root for it because a year from now if successful it will be part of a "RPGs sell" narrative being aimed at developers.

*Edit: and I don't see the concept of micro-transactions being that workable for someone who isn't Blizzard and doesn't already have the infrastructure to handle it.
But that's Kurokami's point.

If Diablo 3 does well, then what will be OK'd will be more Diablo-clones. If Diablo is not your thing, then a Diablo-clone will also not be your thing. Therefore, you should be unhappy about the future of RPGs... lol.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
EdwardOrchard said:
Kahunaburger said:

But that's Kurokami's point.

If Diablo 3 does well, then what will be OK'd will be more Diablo-clones. If Diablo is not your thing, then a Diablo-clone will also not be your thing. Therefore, you should be unhappy about the future of RPGs... lol.
Except it's not just Diablo doing well - in the best-case scenario, it's Diablo, Skyrim, Witcher 2, Human Revolution, Mass Effect 3, etc doing well. That paints a different picture from a publisher's perspective than just Diablo doing well.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
excuse me? are they destroying the thing that made diablo II my favorite game of all time? they have chopped down the talents tree??!?!?! whhhhhhhyyyyyy!!!! diablo II was a great game because of that. there was not ONE good build, there were serveral. each character had like 25 abilities, but you only focused on 2 or 3. there was huge customasation in gameplay and they took it away? please don't let it be. i'm already waiting for a diablo III for years, but now they are raping it.

mptothedc

Jul 23, 2009
blackdwarf said:
excuse me? are they destroying the thing that made diablo II my favorite game of all time? they have chopped down the talents tree??!?!?! whhhhhhhyyyyyy!!!! diablo II was a great game because of that. there was not ONE good build, there were serveral. each character had like 25 abilities, but you only focused on 2 or 3. there was huge customasation in gameplay and they took it away? please don't let it be. i'm already waiting for a diablo III for years, but now they are raping it.
I agree. I've made so many Diablo characters BECAUSE I wanted to try out all of the talent tree builds.

mptothedc

Jul 23, 2009
cursedseishi said:
Captain Placeholder said:
WabbitTwacks said:
I don't understand the whining. The auction house is optional and this game will have more active skills than D2. so what's the big deal?
Oh it is 'Cool' to hate on things Popular. Blizzard is Very Popular. So is Activision. Therefore, popular is bad and any game that must come from either developer will be bad. All because it is the popular thing to do.

As far as I can tell they are just a bunch of fuckin' morons. However that is just me, they have yet to play it and are just bitching just to *****. A normal mind would say 'Wait until the game has been released before using any Judgement or hatred upon the game' however that is called the brain. Most don't seem to have them nowadays.
Hi Captain Dickface, see I can talk just like a dumb fucker like you.

Unpleasantries aside, my issue with this game (and what has me not being as interested in it) isn't the gameplay. I simply do not trust this whole paid auction house system to work well. If people already trust some 3rd party site enough to use it, they'll likely keep using it even when this comes out. That's because no one wants to shell out some real money just to post an item that they don't know will sell or not. A normal-currency system would of been just fine, and if they really felt the need to use a real-$ AH, could of just used gold for the posting fees as well. Being allowed to buy gold with real money isn't going to go over to well on the normal Auction House side either, because there is a very real chance of this inflating in-game costs for items.
The only actual gameplay complain I really have right now, is the crafting portion. It wasn't necessary to begin with, and its almost useless based on what has been mentioned about it. Why turn 10 items into materials, if its only to make 1 new item that is completely random as well? You'd be much more likely to benefit from just outright selling the items, for either gold or cash if you can get away with the latter.

A "normal" mind wouldn't start calling others idiots and bitches just because their opinion differs from yours, no matter the reason, it would either just ignore them or respect their opinions and disagree civilly.
They DO need to reconsider inflation...
The crafting portion seems like fun to me. It works much like the horadric cube from D2 except you don't have to gather a bunch of specific items. You just break down items you have to make new ones. The crafting would keep me entertained in the long-term and during leveling as a peripheral. Besides they may release unique items that can't be sold on AH by crafting. Who knows? too early to tell.

And to the Capt. ... yeah nobody is a "fuckin moron" because they don't agree with some of the games mechanics... it's just a playing preference.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
I never doubted that the game was gonna kick ass(say what you will, Blizzard makes good games), but I'm still not gonna get it. Constant internet connection and no mods was an ass move.

Odlus

Feb 2, 2011
I fully intend to play Diablo 3 online so the DRM doesn't bother me at all in the same way that being unable to play a MMO offline doesn't bother me. I also won't be upset if Battlefield 3 ends up having this type of DRM for the same reasons; I'm buying the game to play it online. Now if Skyrim or Mass Effect 3 had this type of DRM then I'd think about being upset over it.

The optional real world money auction house seems like a really interesting way to combat the third party gold/loot selling market. I'm really interested in seeing how it goes.

As for the issue of skills and everyone being the same; I'm not seeing it. Loot is still going to be a huge factor in character/player uniqueness; everyone isn't going to be running around wit the same stuff. Each character will be able to equip 6 active and 3 passive skills at once; unless you're trying to suggest that each class will only have 6 total active skills (which I really doubt), there's still going to be differences between each character in which skills they use. Even IF everyone used the same skills, multiply those 6 skills by however many runes there are (I'm going to guess 6, don't know for sure), and you've got 36 different character build combinations per class. And, like I said, that's assuming there aren't more than 6 skills per class, which I doubt because it would defeat the entire purpose of having limited skill slots to begin with.

Zarthek

Apr 12, 2009
Odlus said:
I fully intend to play Diablo 3 online so the DRM doesn't bother me at all in the same way that being unable to play a MMO offline doesn't bother me. I also won't be upset if Battlefield 3 ends up having this type of DRM for the same reasons; I'm buying the game to play it online. Now if Skyrim or Mass Effect 3 had this type of DRM then I'd think about being upset over it.

The optional real world money auction house seems like a really interesting way to combat the third party gold/loot selling market. I'm really interested in seeing how it goes.

As for the issue of skills and everyone being the same; I'm not seeing it. Loot is still going to be a huge factor in character/player uniqueness; everyone isn't going to be running around wit the same stuff. Each character will be able to equip 6 active and 3 passive skills at once; unless you're trying to suggest that each class will only have 6 total active skills (which I really doubt), there's still going to be differences between each character in which skills they use. Even IF everyone used the same skills, multiply those 6 skills by however many runes there are (I'm going to guess 6, don't know for sure), and you've got 36 different character build combinations per class. And, like I said, that's assuming there aren't more than 6 skills per class, which I doubt because it would defeat the entire purpose of having limited skill slots to begin with.
I agree with this entirely... Yes Blizzard makes some stupid choices with their games from time to time but they still end out being good. If I recall correctly there were also countless complaints about just about every design decision that was announced for Starcraft 2, and yes there are people who don't like it/hate it but it is still a solid game. Same thing will happen with Diablo 3 when it launches as well, plenty of people will complain but there are also plenty of people that will ignore what they don't like and just play the game.

Nesco Nomen

Apr 13, 2010
So many acting so proud, so cock-sure, prancin aboot with their mouth full of some indie Diablo clone, a random JRPG, or some other crap like (insert anything from EA)

But lets meet in 6 months from now and see how many of them endured the hardships and the bullying in schools, at work, in kindergartens, and didn't end up buying evil Diablo.

I could get them full time job as a circus freak, or a cavemen no problemo.
So they can finally get that awesome $40 axe of slaying from the AH :)

thirion1850

Aug 13, 2008
Yeah, okay. "Forget everythin', dis game is awesome! Lolol!"

How about no. How about I disregard a game regardless for how good it MIGHT be, buy a game that is exactly the same and don't support a company that is full of scum that ruin this medium day by day. Blizzard makes good games. Well, big news there, aren't they? Funny thing though - Blizz makes good games, Activision kills them by milking its consumer base. We get sucked in by the first, the latter laughs in our faces out of victory.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Just putting some actual info into this thread because there's a lack of it so far.

By level 30, you will be able to choose 6 active skills (out of around 20ish) and 3 passive skills out of 15. (unknown if you will learn all the skills by level 30) As well as runes on each skill, of which there are 5 different types and 7 levels per rune (which go all the way up to hell difficulty). Those runes can completely change the effects of skills. There are more possible (and viable) character builds in Diablo 3 than Diablo 2 and that's a fact. People can ***** all they like, and hell they do, but its all bullshit.